C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:21 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default GM Oil Filters

I know the Delco PF44 has been replaced by the PF46. Since these are 2 different oil filters there has to be some difference between them. GM is probably trying to cut down their filter list for inventory control.

But if your dealer has both in stock which should you choose ?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd assume you'd use the new version............but I'd sure like to know the difference between them.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Does anybody know the difference ?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:39 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I can't tell you the difference...but I can muck things up a bit more for you. After researching (mainly archived threads here) I chose to use the UPF44 which is supposed to be a premium filter. I purchased a case of six of them from Fred Beans for around 50 bucks.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The latest version of the filter has an anti-drainback check valve so it can be used in locations other than vertical. It won't hurt anything... just better for other applications. Less inventory when one filter replaces several.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:38 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanx for the info
Old 02-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Swave Dave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I know the Delco PF44 has been replaced by the PF46. Since these are 2 different oil filters there has to be some difference between them. GM is probably trying to cut down their filter list for inventory control.

But if your dealer has both in stock which should you choose ?
REPLY: For a few dollars more, you can have a VERY good Oil FIlter that will protect your LS2 motor much better than the cheap paper oil filters of GM ; go with a K and N Performance synthetic Oil FIlter. The one for the 2006 LS2 takes model : HP1007 . You can order them thru Pep Boys or Jegs.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between these two filters for a while now with no luck. The best I can figure is that they are the same, but AC Delco decided to change the number for some reason.

FWIW the PF44 also has an antidrainback valve in it.

Also, I use the K&N 1007 and highly recommend it.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:04 PM
66dreams
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I hope everyone knows to stay away from the orange filter that begins with Fr##. A real POS.....
Old 02-18-2006, 09:33 PM
fredgpowell
Pro

So to but in on this thread but has anyone tried the life filters before?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
emejay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swave Dave
REPLY: For a few dollars more, you can have a VERY good Oil FIlter that will protect your LS2 motor much better than the cheap paper oil filters of GM ; go with a K and N Performance synthetic Oil FIlter. The one for the 2006 LS2 takes model : HP1007 . You can order them thru Pep Boys or Jegs.
AC Delco makes two different oil filters to fit the C6 ( and also they fit my 2003 Silverado). One is the "cheap paper" PF44, the other is the Ultraguard UPF44 which has a synthetic filter media. Well worth the few extra bucks. I just ordered some from Fitchner Chevrolet for $6.99@.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:20 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by emejay
AC Delco makes two different oil filters to fit the C6 ( and also they fit my 2003 Silverado). One is the "cheap paper" PF44, the other is the Ultraguard UPF44 which has a synthetic filter media. Well worth the few extra bucks. I just ordered some from Fitchner Chevrolet for $6.99@.
Actually, I don't think GM is distributing PF44s anymore...if his dealer has both in stock, then the PF44s must be new old stock (NOS). I believe production of the PF44 has stopped since there is no reason for it to continue...the PF46 replaces the PF44 in ALL PF44 applications, and AC Delco catalogs so indicate. The PF46 is the correct filter for C6s since early in the 2005 MY.

I am using the UPF44 filter, simply because a "UPF46" is not available yet. (I don't know if it will ever be available.) The UPF line apparently provides superior filtering efficiency, but you sacrifice flow rate for that filtering efficiency.

An internet site evaluation of one of the UPF filters showed about 50% reduction in flow rate compared to the same PF model...in this particular filter model, flow went from about 6+ gpm to 3+gpm. This is a result of the filtering media...the harder it is for the oil to flow through the media, the more bad stuff is removed. IMO, this flow reduction would be independent of brand if the same filtering efficiency were obtained.

In view of this reduced flow, anyone using the UPF44 would be well advised to wait until stable oil temperature (~215 deg) before "romping" hard on your LS2...the filter's flow rate will be further reduced with cold oil. I ran mine up to about 5K with the oil temperature < 120 deg, and the pressure spiked about 65-70 psi. I feel confident the filter can provide adequate oil flow without the bypass opening, or it never would have made it to the market, but there is no point in my testing the theory.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 02-19-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

I bought two cases (12 total) of the UPF44's from Fred Beans. They are hard to find at your local Chevy dealer though they can order them for you.

I believe the Mobil 1 filter offers similar performance in something you can go pick up at AutoZone today.

Both AC Delco and Mobil 1 are made by Champion Filters.

There aren't as many filter manufacturers out there as you might think. Three OE manufacturers and a couple of aftermarket guys are making all the filters you see out there.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
emejay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Actually, I don't think GM is distributing PF44s anymore...if his dealer has both in stock, then the PF44s must be new old stock (NOS). I believe production of the PF44 has stopped since there is no reason for it to continue...the PF46 replaces the PF44 in ALL PF44 applications, and AC Delco catalogs so indicate. The PF46 is the correct filter for C6s since early in the 2005 MY.

I am using the UPF44 filter, simply because a "UPF46" is not available yet. (I don't know if it will ever be available.) The UPF line apparently provides superior filtering efficiency, but you sacrifice flow rate for that filtering efficiency.

An internet site evaluation of one of the UPF filters showed about 50% reduction in flow rate compared to the same PF model...in this particular filter model, flow went from about 6+ gpm to 3+gpm. This is a result of the filtering media...the harder it is for the oil to flow through the media, the more bad stuff is removed. IMO, this flow reduction would be independent of brand if the same filtering efficiency were obtained.

In view of this reduced flow, anyone using the UPF44 would be well advised to wait until stable oil temperature (~215 deg) before "romping" hard on your LS2...the filter's flow rate will be further reduced with cold oil. I ran mine up to about 5K with the oil temperature < 120 deg, and the pressure spiked about 65-70 psi. I feel confident the filter can provide adequate oil flow without the bypass opening, or it never would have made it to the market, but there is no point in my testing the theory.
Thanks for the info..........makes a lot if sense.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Oil Filters

Quick Reply: GM Oil Filters