C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Roofs -- Warning --- Seperation/Delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Painted Roofs -- Warning --- Seperation/Delaminating

Thought you might all like to know that I went into the local Chevy dealer today to discuss the crackling and popping sound that was coming from my painted top. (roof has never been off car, car built in Aug 05, and has 700 miles to date)

It appears that their is a national issue with painted roofs seperating from their frame. My local dealer has three verified units and one suspected. Funny that all units are black in color at this local South Florida Dealer. One is so bad currently that when you slam the trunk, half roof literally lifts a foot off the frame. If the other side delaminates any further the roof could become a missile.

While roof replacement is the only option, the dealer is not sure that newer panels will be better in design. The bad part is panel will come unpainted and need to be body shop painted. Also note that interior cover is on regional/national backorder and cannot be obtained currently. So driving around in a 50k sportscar with potentially hazardous roof is normal operating condition for now.

My parts manager and service manager both have taken great care of me, and I am sure doing everything to settle this issue. That said, it is entirely possible that more roofs will become seperated or projectiles in the future. I would suggest checking your roof is cracking is present (sounds like styrofoam being squeezed each time you take a hard turn or hit a bump). You can see it by taking off the roof, affixing it in the trunk, and seeing where the frame and metal roofing attach in rear next to center locking handle. Normally nothing more than a finger nail should fit between the frame and roofing.

I would like to start a National Complaint but not sure where to start, any info is appreciated as someone could seriously get hurt and would not like to be found liable if GM/Chevy cannot/willnot repair post haste.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 09-15-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Eagle_C6
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Thought you might all like to know that I went into the local Chevy dealer today to discuss the crackling and popping sound that was coming from my painted top. (roof has never been off car, car built in Aug 05, and has 700 miles to date)

It appears that their is a national issue with painted roofs seperating from their frame. My local dealer has three verified units and one suspected. Funny that all units are black in color. One is so bad currently that when you slam the trunk, half roof literally lifts a foot off the frame. If the other side delaminates any further the roof could become a missile.

While roof replacement is the only option, the dealer is not sure that newer panels will be better in design. The bad part is panel will come unpainted and need to be body shop painted. Also note that interior cover is on regional/national backorder and cannot be obtained currently. So driving around in a 50k sportscar with potentially hazardous roof is normal operating condition for now.

My parts manager and service manager both have taken great care of me, and I am sure doing everything to settle this issue. That said, it is entirely possible that more roofs will become seperated or projectiles in the future. I would suggest checking your roof is cracking is present (sounds like styrofoam being squeezed each time you take a hard turn or hit a bump). You can see it by taking off the roof, affixing it in the trunk, and seeing where the frame and metal roofing attach in rear next to center locking handle. Normally nothing more than a finger nail should fit between the frame and roofing.

I would like to start a National Complaint but not sure where to start, any info is appreciated as someone could seriously get hurt and would not like to be found liable if GM/Chevy cannot/willnot repair post haste.
Thanks for the update, I am hearing the popping sound. My car is silver though.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Wasn't there a thread about some roofs that were not glued in, just had the press fit? If that's what caused the problem, the fix should be a new roof.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:20 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by chadwickcollins
Thanks for the update, I am hearing the popping sound. My car is silver though.
Isn't that odd. 3 months ago, after a 2 hr. drive, I heard and so did my club members, loud popping sounds coming from the car. Not from the bottom, but from somewhere near the top.

I couldn't pin point the sound because it stopped and hasn't happened since. I haven't seen anything around the roof to show that it's coming apart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:26 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine is black too. It has the problem. Finally, after months of hearing it and people trying to tell me about putting grease on the seals, I checked it out and it sure was seperating. Mostly between the center and the left hand side when vieweing it from behind.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:28 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Well, I guess I'll take mine off tonite and examine it.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...42&forum_id=74
Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Flatbush_Harry

I got the dual roof option and haven't had the painted roof on yet...just enjoying the trans. I will, however, put my black top on this weekend and drive it til it delaminates partially...then I'll let you know how the dealer does with it.

Harry
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ufso
Well, I guess I'll take mine off tonite and examine it.
You can't really tell by looking at it - or twisting it. It happens in high heat when there are overpressure in the cabin or at high speeds when there is lift on the top. Mine was tight when the car was not moving, and I could see sky at 75mph. They HAVE blown off at highway speeds.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 PM
corv1e
Intermediate

Roof separation, LMB in south Florida. It appeared after the car was left the whole day in the hot sun.
New roof on order.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Just had my new roof installed, the folks were able to salvage the old headliner as new ones are back ordered. Now if you can't use the old headliner guess you are just SOL. After about a 20 mile drive noticed that the creaking was gone. Mine never creaked until the top started to come apart and since it has stopped, well, If you have creaking I would look further than just greaseing it. Ed
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Weird stuff
Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

mine is a DSOM and I hear the same noises
Old 09-15-2005, 09:21 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lager99
Weird stuff
I guess if you haven't been a victom of GM's lack of quality on a 52000 dollar car then it's just Weird. To me it's disgracefull, for that kind of cash, I've got really high standards and won't accept the argument that the supplier did it. I've actually heard that on this forum, who the hell is the supplier? This is a GM lack of quality issue-e
Old 09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
da-googoo-man
Racer

Any tell tale signs at delivery? No mention of that by anyone but have to ask as I'm take delivery in Oct...You guys are feekin me out or is it just wait and see?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by da-googoo-man
Any tell tale signs at delivery? No mention of that by anyone but have to ask as I'm take delivery in Oct...You guys are feekin me out or is it just wait and see?
Mine was perfect at delivery in Feb. I first noticed mine on a 95 degree day here in Md. Guess you could call up the factory and tell them to be sure and glue the roof together.(Sorry) Looks like they reluctantly fixed the pulley problem on the motor so I wouldn't worry about that. Whether they think the roof coming apart is a big issue or not, only they know. Of course to us normal people, it's a hellava big deal, I know my paint job on the top will never be factory quality. As far as you being freeked out well I'm sure there will be any number of folks on this forum who will be glad to blow some sunshine your way. Unfortunately I can't. I purposely waited until about half of the production run, thinking they would fix some of the stuff. They fixed the pulley around vin 11 thousand something and since mine is 15215, not anticipating that problem. But as you have read, the C5's had fuel guage problems for the entire run and they didn't care enough to fix it on the C6. Now it looks like they have a better part so your fuel gauge may actually be o.k. Good luck and try and enjoy your new car. It really is good looking and it does have 400 hp. That's good enough for a lot of folks--Ed
Old 09-15-2005, 10:58 PM
rwavette1
Advanced

LMB in TX...separated after sitting out all day in 100 degree temp. New top is in at the dealer...waiting for paint and assembly to be done...

Get notified of new replies

To Painted Roofs -- Warning --- Seperation/Delaminating

Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Isharted
Heel & Toe

Anyone ask to have the roof replaced with a glass top?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:00 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Great. Last weekend my roof started making noises for the first time. I figured that it might just be because it was out in the sun for a while. It still did it the next day, but not as bad. Since then I've driven it twice and haven't heard it at all, but the radio has been loud most of that time. I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

I'm starting to wish I ordered dual roofs. The idea of having a new roof painted makes me cringe.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:42 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The one thing I don't understand is why the top panel can not be re-bonded to the frame. Assuming the panel has not been damaged, then what's keeping the factory from just sending the adhesive to the dealers to repair the top instead of having to refabricate a whole new one from the new individual pieces.

Quick Reply: Painted Roofs -- Warning --- Seperation/Delaminating