C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest problem solved but flatbed stays

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:59 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest problem solved but flatbed stays

For anyone interested my latest problem was a wire /connector to the fuel relay system that was not plugged in properly at the factory--male into the female not fully snapped into place---bump made it lose contact and took fuel pump out of service. They spent 3.5 hours looking for the problem and nothing would show up on the diagnostics. Mechanic noticed loose connector on a board in the box in the rear and snapped it back and it is running again. They told me that shabby assembly line work was the culprit.

The flatbed stays until it earns my trust.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
For anyone interested my latest problem was a wire /connector to the fuel relay system that was not plugged in properly at the factory--male into the female not fully snapped into place---bump made it lose contact and took fuel pump out of service. They spent 3.5 hours looking for the problem and nothing would show up on the diagnostics. Mechanic noticed loose connector on a board in the box in the rear and snapped it back and it is running again. They told me that shabby assembly line work was the culprit.

The flatbed stays until it earns my trust.
Glad to hear the fix was easy. Keep that flatbed up there!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

What will you use for a picture if the flatbed breaks down?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Think Positive Thoughts
Old 06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
....The flatbed stays until it earns my trust.
Sounds like a good plan....everything has to earn it's own respect....no free rides!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM
C6-er
Racer

This is not the first time for this same fix.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StanNH
What will you use for a picture if the flatbed breaks down?
lol
Old 06-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but at least this last problem was technically "minor". Of course it could still leave you stranded which is no joke. But, a loose connector... its nothing. I know you've had more serious problems too... hey, as long as they fix everything properly and the car is now running fine, you should be set. Trust the car and enjoy it.

I think about what they told us on TV after the terrorist attack... go about your lives and daily business as normal, do not worry or fear anything, otherwise you will cease enjoying your life. Well, apply that to your car... just take it out, trust it, enjoy it, drive it like it was meant to be driven. If it fails again, well, thems the breaks.

I don't even own a C6 yet, but after reading about all the patterns of inherant problems here, it seems inevitable that I will get stuck, probably more than once. I started thinking how after I buy the car I'll need to carry all kinds of tools and be fully prepared to break down at any moment. But then I realized, how in the heck can I ENJOY the car if I must think this way? So, the solution??? Just don't think that way. Problem solved. If we get stuck, we get stuck. Someone could smash into the car, someone could steal the car, things happen... enjoy the car while you can and try not to worry. I'm almost done trying to convince myself of this too!

Best of luck with the car!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Rock-it Man
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vet
Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but at least this last problem was technically "minor". Of course it could still leave you stranded which is no joke. But, a loose connector... its nothing. I know you've had more serious problems too... hey, as long as they fix everything properly and the car is now running fine, you should be set. Trust the car and enjoy it.

I think about what they told us on TV after the terrorist attack... go about your lives and daily business as normal, do not worry or fear anything, otherwise you will cease enjoying your life. Well, apply that to your car... just take it out, trust it, enjoy it, drive it like it was meant to be driven. If it fails again, well, thems the breaks.

I don't even own a C6 yet, but after reading about all the patterns of inherant problems here, it seems inevitable that I will get stuck, probably more than once. I started thinking how after I buy the car I'll need to carry all kinds of tools and be fully prepared to break down at any moment. But then I realized, how in the heck can I ENJOY the car if I must think this way? So, the solution??? Just don't think that way. Problem solved. If we get stuck, we get stuck. Someone could smash into the car, someone could steal the car, things happen... enjoy the car while you can and try not to worry. I'm almost done trying to convince myself of this too!

Best of luck with the car!
As implied by my handle, I work with rockets. You would be amazed at how many of our test failures end up being poorly mated and damaged connectors, even though we have skilled and trained techs. Of course, we test everything exhaustively, and catch the mistakes. If GM did this much testing, each 'Vette would probably cost 10 times more.

I, too, don't have a C6 yet, and right now, I'm waiting. There are too many design and assembly problems, and I think even 2006 will be too soon. I've had many new GM cars over the years, no "infant mortality" problems, and not too many old age problems, either. Every GM I have owned has gone at least 125,000 miles before I dumped it, and a couple 200,000 plus All these were simple cars compared to a new 'Vette, of course. Right now it sounds like the General is a bit over his head, and I hope he straightens it out.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Rock head man

I can tell your glass is always half empty..... ...You will still be waiting until the C7 comes out to find a perfect C6 vette....every year there will be small changes so you will have to wait till the next year to see how things work out........ ...How many others have posted this problem?....
Old 06-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Beach21
Racer

It is all good
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
I can tell your glass is always half empty......You will still be waiting until the C7...
I wouldn't bash rock-it man too much. I've been waiting to buy also. But at this point I can see that things are not going to get much better with the C6... so I will be getting an `06. No more waiting.

At least the `06s should be past the crank bolt issues, fuel sender card issues, possibly clutch sticking issues, and hopefully by then the brake line issues, etc. Though I'm sure many of the other `05 troubles will still be seen in many `06s.

As much as one should "enjoy the moment", we must all keep in mind that a new Vette is a VERY expensive investment... at least for most. I think it's reasonable for one to be careful about how one spends $60k. A lot of people do not make $60k in a year, especially after taxes... that's a lot of hard work for a car that might have a lot of troubles.

I realize that this forum (like any forum) tends to make problems appear way more common than they may actually be across the entire existing C6 owner base. At the same time, there are many C6 owners out there having problems and do not post on this forum. So, it works both ways, to an extent. It would be interesting to know the EXACT ACTUAL percentage of the various known troubles across the entire existing C6 population.

The thing that is most disturbing is that the C6 has shown clear patterns of similar problems which proves that the car does have inherant flaws. Inherant flaws usually means a relatively high percentage of related troubles. So the question is, when will these flaws be eliminated? Or will they ever be eliminated? Is it intelligent to invest a whopping $60k into a car that clearly shows inherant flaws, the type that leave owners stranded, the type that require major repair?

Each and every opinion should be respected. I personally have chosen to take the plunge. My attitude, very simply: life is short. I'd rather take the chance at this point than to worry and never have any fun. I hear too many stories about guys who passed away right before they were about to do something that they waited their whole lives to do. And I'm not necessarily talking about the elderly either.

I look at it as a challenge, a wild ride. I already expect to have problems with the C6, getting stuck, battling with the dealer, etc... whoa Nelly!... and I am willing to accept it because I know I cannot obtain a car with that much grunt and handling for the price. I guess it just comes with the package. Take it or leave it... I'll take it because that level of performance IS worth it to me. Dealing with some headaches is part of the "payment"... and is part of life.

I know I'll be cursing like a bastard when the sh*t hits the fan (or when the brake fluid hits the exhaust manifold, or when the clutch pedal hits the floor, etc), but hopefully the other 85% of the time I'll have a huge grin on as I'm enjoying the car. Things can never be perfect 100% of the time. Hey, if you can do well 85% of the time, you're doin' good!

Back to my point, I don't think it's fair to bash anyone here for questioning reliability. Apparently questioning the C6's reliability is insulting to some C6 owners on the forum. But it shouldn't be insulting because we all know the problems. It's no secret.

Any person who chooses to not buy a C6... well, they'll be missing out on the headaches and missing out on the intense fun as well.

Rock-it man, have I convinced you to buy one yet?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Vet
..................... I started thinking how after I buy the car I'll need to carry all kinds of tools and be fully prepared to break down at any moment.
Nah. All you need is Texas OnStar:

Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need-for-speed

Yep! But you don't shoot yourself when it breaks down.

Sorry to hear about the new problem SHOOTER!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Rock-it Man
Team Owner

Not yet, Vet. I'm an engineer, so I'm a realist. I don't expect perfecion, but right now, the kind of repeated problems the C6 is having shows that the design and the assembly line are not ready for prime time.

$50K is a lot to me, my daily driver is a Cavalier!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Rock-it Man
Not yet, Vet. I'm an engineer, so I'm a realist. I don't expect perfecion, but right now, the kind of repeated problems the C6 is having shows that the design and the assembly line are not ready for prime time.

$50K is a lot to me, my daily driver is a Cavalier!
Sorry if I came across bitter but you have to look at both sides...I did spend 55 K on mine and I have had ZERO problems as have most others...Of the 20,000 that have rolled off the line very few deserve a lemon label....If this is not in your budget at this time why not just sit back and read for information purposes and keep your negative comments in check...
Old 06-17-2005, 09:05 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
Sorry if I came across bitter but you have to look at both sides...I did spend 55 K on mine and I have had ZERO problems as have most others...Of the 20,000 that have rolled off the line very few deserve a lemon label....If this is not in your budget at this time why not just sit back and read for information purposes and keep your negative comments in check...
Several polls have been taken on this forum that have addressed the frequency of serious and/or nuisance issues. The results are always the same. Very few owners have had any real issues with their cars. Some have had minor issues but, and this is always the case, less than 7% or 8% have ever had any down time with their C6's other than routine maintenance. The crank pulley bolt problem, although very serious, has still affected less than 2 or 3% of the cars produced before the fix was instituted.

The forum members who have had serious issues have freely discussed them on this board, as they should. Describing the 2005 C6 as "buggy" or unreliable, however, is simply not accurate. It has had some first year issues, most minor, in fairly low numbers, and affecting few cars. Most of us who actually own these cars consider them to be well built and very reliable. As with any car there are, and always will be, exceptions. I have no regrets about my first year C6 purchase and would, without question, do it again.

GM did a fantastic job with this car and deserves much more credit than is typically given on both this and other boards....and I don't even like GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Latest problem solved but flatbed stays

Old 06-17-2005, 09:10 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Trust!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:52 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by need-for-speed

A man of good taste. Nothing like a Sig P-229 from Sig of Exeter, NH. Got to get rid of those 10 round magazines though.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by StanNH
A man of good taste. Nothing like a Sig P-229 from Sig of Exeter, NH. Got to get rid of those 10 round magazines though.

You have a good eye Sir (and know your Sigs)
Gonna go bust a few caps tomorrow with my nephew (who's been back from Iraq for about 6 mos now)

p.s. Do you know if we can buy high cap mags for reasonable prices now that that law has expired ?

Quick Reply: Latest problem solved but flatbed stays