C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP! Car stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please HELP! Car stranded!

I have a 99FRC Corvette with a column lock bypass installed.
I am getting pull key and wait 10 seconds... and then service column lock, even though the column lock is not connected. I have tried resynching the BCM by pulling fuse #25, and also reconnecting the column lock acuator (to rule out a faulty bypass).

The car is not dirveable since the previous owner had the recall performed, which kills the fuel.

Any help diagnosing this greatly appreciated.

Any ideas on how I can most easily get my PCM flashed back to the pre-recall code?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM
jmiller
Instructor

I get this about 3-4 times per month. I rock the steering wheel side to side pretty agressively and it has always unlocked. Have you tried this? I have no clue about the clb, and whether or not this tip will work.

Do you normally hear the cl motor disengage when you turn the car on? If so, rocking the steering wheel may work.

If the clb stops the motor from ever working, then this may not work.

I hate this problem
Old 06-15-2005, 10:38 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Lock acutator is not connected...

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Someone here has to know this circut verrry well.

I am NOT taking this car to the dealer!

Please help.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
lost
Drifting

TAKE OFF THE COLUMN LOCK BYPASS! When you installed the CLB you created a hardware conflict. If this does not cure the problem at least GM will foot the bill, they damn sure wont with a foreign circuit installed...
Old 06-15-2005, 02:05 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

I took it off, no help.

GM will NOT fix this for free... and quite frankly, I don't WANT them to
Old 06-15-2005, 02:09 PM
molson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bypass is not the problem.....
Because the recall was performed it now tells the computer to shut the fuel off if the column lock fails.
The fact that it is not connected is irrelevant.
The computer is getting information that the lock has failed and is doing what it was programmed to do.
This is why you shouldn't get the recall done on 6 speeds even if you have a CLB.....You can still get stranded.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
johninar
Drifting

First thing I would do is find someone local who has the CLB and install theirs to see if that takes care of it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:52 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by molson
The bypass is not the problem.....
Because the recall was performed it now tells the computer to shut the fuel off if the column lock fails.
The fact that it is not connected is irrelevant.
The computer is getting information that the lock has failed and is doing what it was programmed to do.
This is why you shouldn't get the recall done on 6 speeds even if you have a CLB.....You can still get stranded.
After reading all these colum lock threads over the past year I finally ordered my CLB the other day (should arrive tomorrow) I have an MN6 and had the latest recall done a few months ago...so you are telling me even the CLB won't fix an MN6 if it has the latest reacall I know the latest recall shuts the fuel off and is just a reprogram, but only the column locking would cause this?? did I miss this, was this posted somewhere in the ten thousand column lock threads!!

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-15-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:58 PM
MilesW
Advanced

Ditto!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Ttt
Old 06-15-2005, 06:24 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Yes, the mn6 recall does not fix the problem of the steering column locking up. It can still lock up on you and the PCM shuts the fuel off. With the CLB installed the column lock motor is electrically disconnected and prevented from releasing the micro switch which tells the PCM the steering column is locked.
Noe
Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 PM
molson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "sticky" @ the top of the page says that even if you have the CLB installed you can still get the "pull key...." message.
It can be caused by low voltage or the CLB getting confused or out of synch.
If this happens and you have had the recall done your fuel will be shut off.
It details a couple of things to try........Lots of good info...a must read.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRCTony
I have a 99FRC Corvette with a column lock bypass installed.
I am getting pull key and wait 10 seconds... and then service column lock, even though the column lock is not connected. I have tried resynching the BCM by pulling fuse #25, and also reconnecting the column lock acuator (to rule out a faulty bypass).

The car is not dirveable since the previous owner had the recall performed, which kills the fuel.

Any help diagnosing this greatly appreciated.

Any ideas on how I can most easily get my PCM flashed back to the pre-recall code?

Thanks!
To start with, let's eliminate your CLB from the equation by reconnecting your ECL to stock configuration and then go to your instrument fuse panel under the passenger footwell. Pull fuse 25, inspect and reinsert. Also check fuse 23 and make sure it is functional. Check to see if things are working now. If not, then we need to troubleshoot your wiring at the ECL (or CLB). Either your BCM is faulty or you have a wiring problem to the ECL. Check the black wire and make sure it is really grounded. Check your green wire and make sure it indicates +12V when locked and ground when unlocked. Please post your findings and we'll take it from there.
Thanks
John
Old 06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cscokd
To start with, let's eliminate your CLB from the equation by reconnecting your ECL to stock configuration and then go to your instrument fuse panel under the passenger footwell. Pull fuse 25, inspect and reinsert. Also check fuse 23 and make sure it is functional. Check to see if things are working now. If not, then we need to troubleshoot your wiring at the ECL (or CLB). Either your BCM is faulty or you have a wiring problem to the ECL. Check the black wire and make sure it is really grounded. Check your green wire and make sure it indicates +12V when locked and ground when unlocked. Please post your findings and we'll take it from there.
Thanks
John
John,

When I reconnect the column lock actuator, which is in the unlocked position (due to bypass install), it does not attempt to lock when the key is turned on. I have popped the fuses both running and not, as well as disconnect/reconnect of battery. Turn key to ON, get "pull key... " Pull key and reinsert and I get "service column".

What SHOULD be the steps, in order, to resynch the system?

Do I have to acuate the lock acuator (lock it) in order to get it to resync?

I thought sure I was doing it correctly...

Green wire measures +12v. Black is grounded. This means that the BCM thinks the column is locked, no?

Thanks for your help!
Tony

Last edited by FRCTony; 06-16-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Restore everything back to NORMAL! Pull up the DTC codes in the DIC. If you have any DTC's set for the Column Lock Circuit in the BCM, they will need to be "CLEARED" prior to the circuit working properly!! This kicked my A$$ for quite a while when i had the same issue in my 98 Coupe. It didnt have the recall done at the time of the problem but it still caused me all sorts of headaches!

Try that and see what happens.

Bill C
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Restore everything back to NORMAL! Pull up the DTC codes in the DIC. If you have any DTC's set for the Column Lock Circuit in the BCM, they will need to be "CLEARED" prior to the circuit working properly!! This kicked my A$$ for quite a while when i had the same issue in my 98 Coupe. It didnt have the recall done at the time of the problem but it still caused me all sorts of headaches!

Try that and see what happens.

Bill C
Hey Bill,

NADA! You are correct about the a$$ kicking tho'

I should have ordered the manauls before the reigistration...

A system overview, schematics, or divine intervention appreciated

Get notified of new replies

To Please HELP! Car stranded!

Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you have ANY codes?? Does the car start at all?? If you are getting fuel cut off if you try to move the car, that is a security issue.

Is that the case??

BC
Old 06-16-2005, 07:22 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Bill,

Fuel cut is due to recall programming.

It is my understanding that security related issues don't give the service column lock message.

I very consistently get "pull key" followed by "service column" on retry.

Car starts and runs fine. Will rev to the moon as long as you don't try to go over 1 mph.

What is involved in the system besides BCM, column lock actuator (with a internal microswitch), and PCM indirectly. Any external relays?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRCTony
Bill,

Fuel cut is due to recall programming.

It is my understanding that security related issues don't give the service column lock message.

I very consistently get "pull key" followed by "service column" on retry.

Car starts and runs fine. Will rev to the moon as long as you don't try to go over 1 mph.

What is involved in the system besides BCM, column lock actuator (with a internal microswitch), and PCM indirectly. Any external relays?
ECL Wiring Diagram

John

Quick Reply: Please HELP! Car stranded!