C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy with the Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
stylinexpat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy with the Navigation System?

What do you guys think of the Navigation system available for the Vettes? Is it Accurate ? Come with the new 3-D view ? Easy to see while driving ?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 PM
tomo67
Racer

I like it about 98%. I learned enough from Monica at Maxie Price to use it on the way home from Atlanta to San Antonio. Having a voice give directions and seeing the directions on the screen plus on the head up display (if yo have it) makes it nice. I sure wish you could input a new destination while moving, such as a city (it could direct you to the center), instead of requiring a street address to accept a destination while you are stopped.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
whompus
Racer

I like it . it sometimes gives you "the long route" but all is well. compared to otheres i've used its much better
Old 04-04-2005, 01:54 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the touchscreen aspect. I have a unit with buttons in my truck and my wife uses the idrive with hers and neither of these setups are as user friendly as the touchscreen IMO. The manual could be improved and you will spend some time figuring things out. In usage it works as well as the others I have used and having the information come up in the hud is a nice bonus.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:59 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

It tkaes some playing with but it is sweet.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:13 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add my agreement. It has a useful feature that is missing from some other units - recalculate route on the fly. If you miss a turn (either accidentally or on purpose), it merely finds a new route and gives you directions for that route. My Jag works the same way, but I've driven other cars that nag you to return to the original route.

The feature is especially useful if you know about where the destination is, and you disagree with what the nav system chose as the best way to start out.

On the downside, with sunglasses on, it is nearly impossible to see. My Jag system is much better in that respect.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've only had a few minutes to play with it, but damned if I can figure it out.......

Hard to see it at night, too.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
nikovette
Burning Brakes

I like it a lot. Especially the integration with the HUD. That is not only very cool, but extremely useful. I also wish it was programmable on the move. That way your passenger could input a destination.

I think it is perfectly visible at night and I don't find sunglasses a problem. Neither does the display look wierd using polarizing shades. I find it much harder to see in bright sunlight with the top down.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:23 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

I like it. After you spend some time with it and learn how to use the features fully it improves significantly. The interface with the HUD is awesome. No significant complaints that drive me nuts here.

antoniopaolo

p.s. I think there have been lots of other in depth discussions about this topic in the past. Or maybe they were the same do you like it or not type. Frankly don't recall.

Bottom line: Once you get used to a nav. system in your machines its hard to live without.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I like the touch screen aspect, but I live in a rural area that it soetimes doesn't "know". I have a Garmin Quest that I have yet to get lost on a trip. Of course, the Quest has to have a companion laptop if you are going more than two states (approximately) away as it has limited memory capabilities. The Nav unit in the Vette should cover the lower 48...maybe more. I havn't checked.

It is interesting to see the routes that the nav unit throws at me as optional routes. Only the most serious site seer would be interested in some of the routes, but if you were working your way around construction it might be useful.

I like the option of feeding in a telephone number and locating address. That is a good feature. Having the turn directions built into the HUD is very useful.

I don't have any experiences with other vehicle based units, but I am generally pleased with the unit in the Vette.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:05 PM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I like it, found it to be very accurate. Just can't figure out how to turn it off after getting halfway to destination - maybe I should check the owner's manual.

Directions displaying on the HUD is very handy.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggles

Hard to see it at night, too.
Try changing it to night screen.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
TYLERTONY
Racer

It looks cool but if you live outside a major city chances are your city won't have as much detailed information...I live in Tyler, texas and the DVD doesn't even recognize the city for inputting addresses, which stinks! It does show general roads but nothing that I can rely on too much..then again, in a small town like this it's hard to get lost any way. Overall, I say it's worth for resale and the "cool" factor. It does have its own set of quirks but I can over look them...glad I got a good warranty because I can only imagine what it will cost to repair.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Lowlead
Racer

Here's my $.02: If you're programming a specific destination, (address, POI, intersection, whatever) then the unit does it's job well and the voice & HUD prompts are very useful, although some of the routes it lays out is sometimes a little screwy. If you want to use the NAV as an electronic version of a paper roadmap it's almost worthless. Looking for street names, determining your own route, or just panning around the map is time consuming and awkward. My other car has an Eclipse AVN2454 Nav unit at it does a far better job of being a electronic roadmap. However, if I were to do it over, I would still have opted for the factory GM NAV unit. The price is competative with aftermarket units and the voice prompt & HUD integration made it an even better deal. I also believe that there's a better chance of getting DVD database updates than with the aftermarket units. BTW, I live in SoCal and the database covers the majority of the area, I haven't tried it in the outlying areas.

Last edited by Lowlead; 04-04-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
stylinexpat
Racer

Would it be better to get one of those new portable TOM TOM'S or the built in one for accuracy? Heard it's harder to upgrade sound system with the stock navigation in place as well?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default LOve It

Yes - Yes - and Yes
Best part is getting a turn prompt in the HUD. First had exp with 4 other Nav Systems. This is the best I've seen
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Korbo
Racer

For a few days the Nav kept giving me directions and I had not read the manual at all and it was getting annoying. I was on my way home and hit the voice command. I said Home and set destination and that was the end of the problem. I liked that and the voice command. I find the Nav very useful and also like that it lists exit numbers on the interstate.

Get notified of new replies

To Happy with the Navigation System?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:05 PM
jimsc6
Instructor

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I think it;s great. One thing I've found out just this week is you can turn up the brightness on the display especially when using it during the daylight hours.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:57 PM
murphman72
Instructor

Is there an online instruction manual for the navigation? I know there are plenty of ways to get a pdf version of the 2005 owner's manual. But that doesn't include instructions for the nagivation system. It says, rather, that there are separate instructions for the navigation. Is is available for free on the net somewhere?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 05:00 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Still have a few things to learn... Ive had NAV in my other cars for 3 yrs now.. so its similar.. very helpful when traveling to unknown places... has so much that I dont use.. I like it.. and would get it again...

Quick Reply: Happy with the Navigation System?