C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:34 AM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Power Top Problem

Yeah, I have one. It works fine going down, but when cycling up it has started to put the Cowl down before dropping the back end (window part) of the cloth. I've got to help it by lifting the back of the top so the Cowl will drop first.

It's not major, but still a PITA. I'm not taking it to the dealer yet as they've had no experience with these tops for now. In a couple of months......
Old 04-04-2005, 10:45 AM
THE LEGEND LIVES
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...is there a way to adjust/synchronize the top and the tonneau? Maybe the owner's manual addresses that problem...I have the manual top so the only thing to synchronize is myself!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM
hlcptr
Racer

I offer this in all sincerety.

During our plant tour on 3-14, while at the final station, one of the factory workers asked me what kind of car I was getting. "A black convertible" says I. "Manual or power top?" he asks. "Manual" I replied, to which he said (with a knowing look) "Good choice!".

My inference is that they are still having some "issues" with the power tops. Not severe enough to halt production, but possibly quite common during the final QA checks.

I hope you find and resolve your problem in short order. I wonder if someone at the factory might be able to offer some suggestions.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

In my three days of ownership, the only major problem I've had with the top is the occasional need to put it up! My friend in LA has an M3 convertible, and is lucky enough to have a secure garage both at home and at work and virtually never puts it up.

Seriously, though, I'll keep my eye out for a similar problem and let you know if it occurs.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
3car5
Racer

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on mine as well. We have experienced no issue so far and I have put it up and down likey 30-35 times since taking ownership. While we have a nice garage to keep it in, I still prefer to keep it up when the car is not in use to help keep the wrinkles out of the top.
Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by THE LEGEND LIVES
Hmm...is there a way to adjust/synchronize the top and the tonneau? Maybe the owner's manual addresses that problem...I have the manual top so the only thing to synchronize is myself!

No there's nothing in the manual. The manual is WAY deficient in dealing with the power top as exibited by it's misleading info as to how to bypass the power and put the top up manually if there is a loss of power, or the top breaks. The manual states that the hydraulics for the top are under the hood, when in reality they are behind the passenger seat (where they belong I might add) right up against the body panel. I've posted that one in the FAQ section.

I'll just wait a month or 2 till the dealers get some experience with these things. Right now I suspect they have NO clue and my car's not gonna be their "Mule"
Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by hlcptr
I offer this in all sincerety.

During our plant tour on 3-14, while at the final station, one of the factory workers asked me what kind of car I was getting. "A black convertible" says I. "Manual or power top?" he asks. "Manual" I replied, to which he said (with a knowing look) "Good choice!".

My inference is that they are still having some "issues" with the power tops. Not severe enough to halt production, but possibly quite common during the final QA checks.

I hope you find and resolve your problem in short order. I wonder if someone at the factory might be able to offer some suggestions.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
z51red
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steve miller
Yeah, I have one. It works fine going down, but when cycling up it has started to put the Cowl down before dropping the back end (window part) of the cloth. I've got to help it by lifting the back of the top so the Cowl will drop first.

It's not major, but still a PITA. I'm not taking it to the dealer yet as they've had no experience with these tops for now. In a couple of months......
After three days and much troubleshooting by the techs at the dealer, and engineers at GM, they were able to duplicate my problems. They replaced the Body Control Module(BCM) and since Friday the car has worked perfectly. Apparently the BCM sends and recieves signals from all those components and then the folding top control module assures that everything is good to raise or lower the top. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but right now, all indications are it is fixed. So far I've been very impresed with GM's response.....
Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 AM
engrtmar
1st Gear

My C6 power top quit working. The top was down and I followed instuctions in the owners manual but nothing happened when I pushed the button. I finely ended up operated it manually by using the allen wrench on the pump. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How long have you had the car? When you say "quit working" you mean completely? No motion at all? Is the emergency brake on?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

I've had my vert for almost two years now and have never experienced any issues at all.

I've been on this board since I got my first C6 in late 2004 and monitor it fairly regularly. Overall, I've seen very few complaints posted about the operation of the power top, so I don't think it's an area of major concern. There has been a recall dealing with the header/canvas loosening at high speed, and a TSB for the hardware cutting the inside liner, but that's been about it.

BTW, the manual on my 2009 clearly shows the pressure relief valve behind the seats.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
AustinTXDrummer
3rd Gear

Default C6 power top problems

I just wanted to post this to share what I learned.
- pulled partion down
- load groceries and unloaded
- drove for a day...wanted roof down after a good wash
- clipped the partion in place (fully) tried to lower top and got partiton error in DIC
- tried numerous times with same message.
- IDEA...turn car off, pull partition down, start car, get out and clip partition with car running. Works. I assume ACC might do the same thing, but I ain't messing with it now that it works.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by AustinTXDrummer
I just wanted to post this to share what I learned.
- pulled partion down
- load groceries and unloaded
- drove for a day...wanted roof down after a good wash
- clipped the partion in place (fully) tried to lower top and got partiton error in DIC
- tried numerous times with same message.
- IDEA...turn car off, pull partition down, start car, get out and clip partition with car running. Works. I assume ACC might do the same thing, but I ain't messing with it now that it works.
hmm, that's interesting. anyone else do the same, or experiment doing the same?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

Great post.
BCM was the issue.

I concur that the power top has not had alot of issues. Some clips on the partion becoming separated (just pop them back on) and headliner tearing (tsb). Mine has worked fine over the years with no issue a DIYer could not figure out.

Doesn't hurt to investigate the emergency override section in the owner manual and go to the car and access it....just in case.

Here's an old trick. While in gear, raise the parking brake lever one click and you can raise lower the power top while moving.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Top Problem

Quick Reply: Power Top Problem