C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bars from Fichtner (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 PM
DryHeat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars from Fichtner (pics)

I just installed the Z51 sway bars I ordered from Fichtner Chevrolet.

Several excellent posts have been on this site regarding these bars. I took some shots during the install and thought I'd post them.

Below is a shot of the front bars. The factory sway bars are at the bottom of the shot - these came with my F55 suspension. Notice that the factory bar still has the connection arm attached. It's much easier to remove the connection arms with the bar and transfer them on a workbench to the new front bar then it is to remove the factory bar from the connection arm while still on the Vette - no room where you'd need get to it. Then, just install the new sway bar and arms as a unit to the front end.

Below is a photo of the rear bar - original at bottom. The new rear bar (top) is very much larger in diameter then the original. Also, notice that the connection arm is not on the factory original bar as I left that connected to the Vette. While working on the rear it's easier to remove the sway bar from the connection arm and leave the arm on the Vette.

I did the front first and struggled a bit removing the connection arm until I realized that the arm shaft has a 6mm allen recess to hold it still while you remove the nut with a 18mm wrench. The photo below shows the attaching of the rear sway bar to the connection arm using the allen to hold the shaft still. A ratchet box wrench comes in handy here.

Fichtner can be contacted by calling 800 234-5284. Ask for Bob in the Parts Department. He knew exactly what I needed. The set of bars was about $160 plus shipping.

BTW - It took about an hour to install the two sway bars.

Last edited by DryHeat; 03-23-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 03-23-2005, 03:17 PM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

That should do the job....
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also been considering this, thanks for posting.. Can you comment on the differences on the road?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I did this mod with the help of the written descriptons by natejohn and mikey6. It was pretty easy, but DO leave the connecting link on the front bar..It is much easier..Take my word for it. I think the handling and the ride are improved. It is much flatter. In terms of butt feel, I think that the bars enhance the difference in the tour and sport mode in my F55.
Good results for the money in my opinion.

Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
DryHeat
Pro

Originally Posted by S2K
I've also been considering this, thanks for posting.. Can you comment on the differences on the road?
Just came back from running Black Betty through her paces. She stays flatter on fast turns with suspension and road feel tighter in general. I am very happy with the results.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

The MSRC system uses brake, throttle, steering angle, lateral acceleration, vehicle speed data, and wheel movement sensors to vary current flow to the electromagnets in the shocks which control the magnetorheological effect to provide the correct damping. This current flow is based on various algorithms developed for MSRC. I assume the algorithms were based on the standard F55 sway bars, etc. I wonder if the larger Z51 sway bars will work optimally with MSRC during all types of driving conditions considering these preset algorithms.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:20 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Nice shots that show the diference between the normal bars and those on the Z51. The Z51 bars are mighty hefty compared to the anemic looking standard version. The Z51's have to make a huge difference in handling.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
The MSRC system uses brake, throttle, steering angle, lateral acceleration, vehicle speed data, and wheel movement sensors to vary current flow to the electromagnets in the shocks which control the magnetorheological effect to provide the correct damping. This current flow is based on various algorithms developed for MSRC. I assume the algorithms were based on the standard F55 sway bars, etc. I wonder if the larger Z51 sway bars will work optimally with MSRC during all types of driving conditions considering these preset algorithms.
Unless there's a body-angle input into the algorithm, I doubt that MSRC system will even know there's been a change. If the sway bars do help control wheel movement, then it's just helping the MSRC do it's job - but I think the sway bars are primarily reducing body-lean during hard cornering.

If the sway bars do just keep the body more level during cornering, the MSRC will still get all the same sensing from the inputs you discussed above, and the system should work just as it does with the stock sway bars.

Bob
Old 03-23-2005, 06:47 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by beezeye
Unless there's a body-angle input into the algorithm, I doubt that MSRC system will even know there's been a change. If the sway bars do help control wheel movement, then it's just helping the MSRC do it's job - but I think the sway bars are primarily reducing body-lean during hard cornering.

If the sway bars do just keep the body more level during cornering, the MSRC will still get all the same sensing from the inputs you discussed above, and the system should work just as it does with the stock sway bars.

Bob
It's pretty complicated. Look at this link and scroll half way down to The Deep-Geek of MR: the "Sky Hook" Algorithm: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=503
Old 03-27-2005, 11:19 AM
coolcat
Race Director

How much do the Z51 sway bars cost?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:29 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Did this back in Jan. and would reccomend it to anyone. No loss in ride comfort and roll control is the way it should have been in the first place.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Z06 bars a few weeks back and would recommend to anyone!

edit ---

whoops forgot I was in the C6 forum Well, I guess the point is the same
Old 03-27-2005, 11:33 AM
DryHeat
Pro

Originally Posted by coolcat
How much do the Z51 sway bars cost?
$160 plus shipping (see end of original post )
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
shopman1
Pro

Thanks for the post. I purchased them and installed them tonight. With the help of your post, it only took me 45 minutes. A quick upgrade.
thanks,
shopman1
Old 04-05-2005, 09:15 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by DryHeat
$160 plus shipping (see end of original post )
Not a bad price!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

Originally Posted by DryHeat
I just installed the Z51 sway bars I ordered from Fichtner Chevrolet.
Great post and a big help. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bars from Fichtner (pics)

Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 PM
BriJac
Instructor

Changed out last week. Would recommend this mod to everyone, especially with results versus price.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
drtli
CRAZFST
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wass
It's pretty complicated. Look at this link and scroll half way down to The Deep-Geek of MR: the "Sky Hook" Algorithm: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=503
The thing I got best from that article was this:
"On relatively smooth roads near the car's limits in abrupt transitions and turns at high lateral acceleration, a MR car's base springs and stabilizer bars show their inadequate roll stiffness. Sources tell us that DIY tuners can trade a little isolation to make up some of this roll stiffness deficit by adding Z51 stabilizer bars to MR cars. A C5 in the hands of a talented, aggressive driver will react well to that change"
Sounds good to me.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I ordered the set this morning, glad to see a detailed post on the install. Thanks

Quick Reply: Sway bars from Fichtner (pics)