C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend article.. Rattles and creaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:26 PM
stylinexpat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend article.. Rattles and creaks

I have never bought an American car before as I have only bought German And Japanese. This is going to be my first American car. Either the new C6 or new Z6. The rattles and issues from this article don't make this car look all that great. Anyone hear have any noise issues,rattles, creaking...etc..??
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...0501_brothers/
Old 03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stylinexpat
I have never bought an American car before as I have only bought German And Japanese. This is going to be my first American car. Either the new C6 or new Z6. The rattles and issues from this article don't make this car look all that great. Anyone hear have any noise issues,rattles, creaking...etc..??
You know, almost all of the rags gave the C6 great reviews except for a very few. Things that make ya go hmmm! In all honesty, my C6 is a great car and doesn't have one squeak, rattle or noise. This has been the first car that I have ever owned that has NO, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH wind noise! For this alone, I'm estatic.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
JJayzX
Racer

but graphically it's all but identical--same broad-assed stance with quad taillights
The corvette has always had the quad lights and would be sad if they removed them. It is part of the Vette just like other cars have there own thing. Why crack on it?
same scoop on the side behind the front wheel
Where do they want this scoop above the tire?
Okay, the C6 has--gasp!--fixed headlights. But the tiny projector units sit in body-colored nacelles rather than glittery chromed jewel boxes and are almost invisible at a distance.
They are HID Projector headlights no need for the chrome reflectors to shine the light and good they are almost invisible at a distance, make it cleaner looking or like it has flip lights.

They just like to try and find stuff to pick on don't they.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:48 PM
MechEng
Advanced

Motor Trend is NOT the magazine it was even five years ago.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes squeek big deal and others have posted about it as well. I have a slight rattle but nothing serious. Just need time to take it in and have the dealer look it at but I have a hard time parting with it since it is soooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!! to dirve .

Last edited by 05C6400; 03-23-2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: editorial
Old 03-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No rattle, creak, or groan from my car at all. I do get a scraping sound if I park too close to a parking curb. There are also about 3 or 4 business entrances in town where I have to drive in slowly or slightly off to one side, but that's about it.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never bought an American car before as I have only bought German And Japanese. This is going to be my first American car.
I've often wondered about somewhere off in Germany (or Japan) if there were actually people saying things like "I've never bought a German (or Japanese) car before, I've only bought American, this is going to be my first German (or Japanese) car."
Not likely.
Do Germans and Japanese simply love and honor (ie: patriotic) their nation's products more?
Do they not have the same free access to American cars that America has to theirs, and if so why not?
And finally, if they would never ever consider even buying an American car if they could get one, why in God's name would an American ever buy theirs?
If your daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies and a neighbor told her to "get the hell outta here you little brat!" Would you dare buy chocolate bars from his kid the next day when he came selling?

But enough of that, to answer your question, the C6 is amazing, have no fears.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:06 PM
paystyle
Pro

Preserve your image and keep your misperceptions intact. Continue to buy German and Japanese cars. Don't buy a car that you don't think looks all that great, or a car that you are skeptical about. In fact, I think Mercedes is offering their new CLS line, which at $95,000 + comes with optional Navigation and optional xenon headlights. Don't settle for a cheap vette that comes with things like standard xenon lights.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 PM
7 OUT
Racer

The only thing I hear from my car is incredible music from the engine, especially when above 4000 rpms and the Z51 tires on on rough pavement at higher speeds.

Dana
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
hotrodder
Advanced

Why do you believe everything you read? Go and test drive one. My C6 doesn't have one rattle or creak. I think the editors have to justify their expensive German cars.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:30 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

A friend of mine bought nothing but M3's, S2000's, Boxters type cars. He then drove a C5, then a C6. He then went out and bought another M3. Fit and finish, ride etc were his reasons. Buy what you want, but if you buy a Vette, please wave.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
St. Jude Donor '05

Had a really annoying rattle form the center console area for about three days, especially on acceleration. I had hoped it would go away after warming up, but it didn't. Then I realized I had a half a box of Tic Tacs in the center console storage, took them out, rattle gone.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
A friend of mine bought nothing but M3's, S2000's, Boxters type cars. He then drove a C5, then a C6. He then went out and bought another M3. Fit and finish, ride etc were his reasons.
Nah, he was just too scared to try a really fast car, he bailed for girly man reasons.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Going to get flamed with this but.
You folks are awfully sensitive about any comments at all about Corvettes. But there are plenty threads about loose bolts, strange issues with fobs and batteries, leaks, pully wheels etc. This is a great car for what it is but that doesn't mean that it is perfect. If problems and issues aren't raised, how are they fixed? Anyone questioning anything about a Corvette has his/her loyalty to country raised. A little sensitive aren't we.
It is a great sports car. It isn't perfect.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

LS1LT1, well maybe as he did drive my 396LT1 C4, then I drove him around in it.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve40th
A friend of mine bought nothing but M3's, S2000's, Boxters type cars. He then drove a C5, then a C6. He then went out and bought another M3. Fit and finish, ride etc were his reasons. Buy what you want, but if you buy a Vette, please wave.

The M3 has one of the worst rides I have ever encountered in a modern day car!!!! The fit & finish is also slightly above average at best.

BTW...who compares these mediocre cars to a Corvette anyways????
Old 03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Randall G.
Racer

My car's body groans when going over angled ramps. As I understand it, it's the composite body panels flexing, and that's what it sounds like to me. I also have an intermittent dash rattle, usually appears under load at higher RPMs. I think I know what's causing this, but am not sure how easy the fix is going to be. My center console also groans on occasion.

On the other hand, I haven't heard any sounds from the top. Which I can't say about my Porsche's Targa top (that things makes all sorts of noises). And, I'm very impressed with how little wind noise gets into the cabin.

In fairness to the Vette, visit most any car forum, and owners will be complaining about creaks and groans, trying to chase down rattles. Though, I gotta' believe the body groans (over angled ramps) are uniquely Corvette.

Fit and finish of the car is good, the materials look and feel just fine to me.

This is my first Corvette, after many years of Porsche ownership. Can I tolerate an occasional groan to save about $30k? Absolutely. That's besides the weight savings and corrosion resistance of the composite panels. I'm reserving final judgement for a few years down the road, when I can verify the car hasn't turned into a rattle-trap. Though, I believe what I've read, where people write that Corvette quality has come a long way, they don't rattle like they used to.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend article.. Rattles and creaks

Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new C6 convertible is the first American sports car I have owned since the candy-apple red '67 Camaro SS ticket magnet I drove many moons ago. In between have been more than a few British and German roadsters. Admittedly, I have only had this dream car 16 days and 700 miles. However, it is at least as tight and solidly put together as any of the high-dollar rides that I have had before. At this point, for quality construction, I would put my beauty up against any of the other performance sports choices that are available - bar none!! It wasn't that long ago that I would never have thought of saying this. Some of these magazine guys have an elitist attitude and others simply couldn't find their back side with both hands when it comes to auto architecture and engineering. You did the right thing by checking into places like this and asking those who drive the C6. As you can see, we are not a shy lot.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carjon
Going to get flamed with this but.
You folks are awfully sensitive about any comments at all about Corvettes. But there are plenty threads about loose bolts, strange issues with fobs and batteries, leaks, pully wheels etc. This is a great car for what it is but that doesn't mean that it is perfect. If problems and issues aren't raised, how are they fixed? Anyone questioning anything about a Corvette has his/her loyalty to country raised. A little sensitive aren't we.
It is a great sports car. It isn't perfect.

but still a great thrill to own and drive.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM
robh1
Advanced

My C6 is the first American made car I've owned. I almost bought into the whole "American=bad, foreign=good" BS. All it took was one test drive and I was sold!

I've experienced no rattles, creaking or any other problems for that matter. Even those that have had problems don't regret buying a C6. That says a lot.

Stop reading and start test driving!!

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article.. Rattles and creaks