C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my C6, but Stereo is terrible...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 AM
JR_C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aldendu
Evaluating the sound produced by a given audio system is subjective. In fact, most normal people can't hear much difference (other than loudness) between high end systems...
IME, most people can easily tell the difference between average and anything better. The issue is generally one of two things. Either they don't really care about the quality of audio (which is fine) or they have never heard a really good system so they have a limited point of reference. I have never had someone experience really good audio and not be amazed at the difference between that and what they are used to hearing. The differences are not subtle.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:52 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Moderators - can we just start a "sticky" thread called "BOSE Sucks". This truly is one of the more annoying threads that comes up every 60 days or so, and has (on the C5 forum) since the inception of the forum.

We know that some of you are audiophiles and you don't like the sound of it. But let's summarize some facts:

Saturns don't have 400 horsepower and world class handling.

Tahoes don't have 400 horsepower and world class handling.

BMW's CAN have 400 horsepower and world class handling (depending on which model you buy), AND have a nice stereo - but at about twice the price of a Corvette.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Moderators - can we just start a "sticky" thread called "BOSE Sucks". This truly is one of the more annoying threads that comes up every 60 days or so, and has (on the C5 forum) since the inception of the forum.

We know that some of you are audiophiles and you don't like the sound of it. But let's summarize some facts:

Saturns don't have 400 horsepower and world class handling.

Tahoes don't have 400 horsepower and world class handling.

BMW's CAN have 400 horsepower and world class handling (depending on which model you buy), AND have a nice stereo - but at about twice the price of a Corvette.
Yes we have sticky in the, get this, audio section here it is:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...25&forum_id=20

And It is in the C6 FAQ section.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by archtop
Maybe your mp3's have been recorded at too low a bit rate,I use 192kbps(128 is too low for good sound quality) and mine sound great.You can barely tell the difference between the mp3 and the original cd.Generally I get about 10 cd's on one mp3 disc.The Alpine headunit also has a great processor for mp3/wav files,much better quality than the stock system.
I agree that in the car, MP3s at that bitrate sound very similar to the originals. However, I don't find that to be true at home.
Anyway, how does Alpine process MP3s any differently than anyone else? I thought it was just a simple reader.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Evaluating the sound produced by a given audio system is subjective.
So remove subjectivity from the equation, measure the response with instrumentation. A calibrated binaural microphone and audio spectrum analyzer can give you an objective measure of frequency response, phasing, stereo separation, etc. There is no real mystery to High Fidelity, though some try to cloak it in subjective mystery. High Fidelity simply requires a system to reproduce sound exactly as it was recorded. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now once you have high fidelity reproduction, if you still don't like the way a particular performance sounds, that is subjective, and you should take it up with the artist. A High Fidelity system simply reproduces what the artist did, adding nothing, subtracting nothing. That's completely objective, and subject to measurement.

Last edited by shopdog; 08-07-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 PM
aldendu
Intermediate

Nope. It's always subjective -- for people. People hear the same sounds differently.

Ask 100 people to evaluate the same system independently (even one judged "perfect" by the most objective measurements) and you will always get gradations in the result. People are by definition " subjective".

And at any rate has anyone evaluated the C6 system using a "calibrated binaural microphone and audio spectrum analyzer can give you an objective measure of frequency response, phasing, stereo separation, etc." That would be interesting.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:01 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Yes we have sticky in the, get this, audio section here it is:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...25&forum_id=20

And It is in the C6 FAQ section.
Yeah, but that's not a "Bose Sucks" thread. That one is actually designed to provide useful information.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope. It's always subjective -- for people. People hear the same sounds differently.

Ask 100 people to evaluate the same system independently (even one judged "perfect" by the most objective measurements) and you will always get gradations in the result. People are by definition " subjective".
But if the system is high fidelity, they'd give the same response to a live performance, which is the goal of high fidelity audio.
And at any rate has anyone evaluated the C6 system using a "calibrated binaural microphone and audio spectrum analyzer can give you an objective measure of frequency response, phasing, stereo separation, etc." That would be interesting.
I have. At work I have access to all the proper tools to do objective audio measurements. The Bose isn't even close to high fidelity.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:28 PM
aldendu
Intermediate

So have you posted your results? What is the objective standard for "high fidelity"?

And people absolutely would not "give the same response to a live performance" --- some people would in fact not give the same answer twice in a row for precisely the same audio source. People hear things differently at different times depending on nothing more than their mood. People are subjective.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolcat
Go to a BMW dealership and listen to the Logic 7 Sound System if you want to hear a good factory installed system.
And then go to a Lexus dealership and listen to the Mark Levinson Sound System if you want to hear a great factory installed system.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:19 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Your not alone I love MUSIC and have audiophile .I could'nt even listen to the stereo so I installed a Custom Alpine system and it sounds awesome.Alpine single CD/MP3/XM head-unit,3 Alpine 120watt amps,Jl 8" subs in the doors ,MBquart 4" coax.in the front,5.125" MBquart in the rear. I have control over time alighnment,crossovers and parametric EQ's.You need the power for clarity and the ability to adjust the sound for the acoustic enviorment of the car.Cost was about 3k and I know not worth it to everyone but for me it was the best bang mod I've done to the car.I can hear loud and clear top off and Corsa's wailing.

I wanted a similar setup to this but my stereo shop didnt seem to think JL 8"s would work in the door (they are a very reputable shop and have done several C6's already). They have nearly convinced me to do 2 10"s in the hatch (while preserving all the space needed for the targa top). How was the clearance with the JLs. Does it shake the door or have any other negatives putting the subs in the door? I think I am just going to do a line out and depending on how I do the subs either go with some Focal Utopias, Infinity Perfects or possibly the same MBs you used. Let me know as I am very interested in your results.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 PM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
I wanted a similar setup to this but my stereo shop didnt seem to think JL 8"s would work in the door (they are a very reputable shop and have done several C6's already). They have nearly convinced me to do 2 10"s in the hatch (while preserving all the space needed for the targa top). How was the clearance with the JLs. Does it shake the door or have any other negatives putting the subs in the door? I think I am just going to do a line out and depending on how I do the subs either go with some Focal Utopias, Infinity Perfects or possibly the same MBs you used. Let me know as I am very interested in your results.
You will get better "Bass" results with seperate enclosures where you have more air volume for sure but the JL's in the doors are pretty impresive and look stock.Naturally you have to insulate everything (Dynomat)to prevent rattles . You won't shake the walls like a home theater setup but the sound is real good and I figured I could always upgrade to 10's and enclosures later if I wanted more.The 8" speakers just fit with not a hair of space in there.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I agree that in the car, MP3s at that bitrate sound very similar to the originals. However, I don't find that to be true at home.
Anyway, how does Alpine process MP3s any differently than anyone else? I thought it was just a simple reader.
The differance is in the pre-amp section of the head unit.The frequency response is much higher and cleaner.The pre-amp is one of the most important and overlooked parts of a sound system .When I played my MP3 with Sting's Sacred Love on it in the stock unit there were instruments(Percussion ,triangles etc.) I never heard till I got the Alpine System.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

The differance is in the pre-amp section of the head unit.The frequency response is much higher and cleaner.The pre-amp is one of the most important and overlooked parts of a sound system .When I played my MP3 with Sting's Sacred Love on it in the stock unit there were instruments(Percussion ,triangles etc.) I never heard till I got the Alpine System.
I'm not doubting that it sounds better, but I don't think that HU/preamp frequency respose is much of an issue, especially with MP3s. I'm thinking it's more speaker related.
Going from C5 to C6, I hear similar improvements like you describe, but mostly with CD's.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

bullets are my aftermarket stereo

really though, the rush, van halen, and sepultura at high volumes for long periods of time have already blown my speakers. gonna go see about a warranty replacement and if that doesnt work, then i'll look into the aftermarket. i'm no audiophile, so the stock system works for me. i'm also coming from a bose system in my G35 coupe that was hated by audiophiles also. i cant tell the difference.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Wicked_C6
Race Director

Location: Beer. The cause of and solution to - all of lifes problems
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by blacktop373737
I hope you are kidding about the c5 being 10x better than c6.I dont think the c5 was 1x better than anything.Is the nav stereo the same as the 6 disk stereo? what did GM do to make it worse?
All the complaints I've read on the forum (clutch sucks, stereo sucks, this sucks, etc) I have yet to see or experience. The sound on my stereo rocks, clutch works great, shifter works great.

I have no complaints.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
But if the system is high fidelity, they'd give the same response to a live performance, which is the goal of high fidelity audio.

I have. At work I have access to all the proper tools to do objective audio measurements. The Bose isn't even close to high fidelity.

You forget that room acoustics is one of the most contributing factors to sound quality. It was the objective of Chevrolet to have a system that will work in the confines of a sports car. One of the objectives way back to 1984 was to have a system where both driver and passenger hear the same sound. Only Bose stepped up to the challenge and did a computer simulation of wave fronts in the cabin. The later Bose systems are derivations of the original system. If you observe Near and Far field wave fronts you will see it is very complex. You can get around that by over powering the area and disregarding that analysis by the boom box approach but violate their main objective in a comfortable sound that both sides of the cabin hear the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Love my C6, but Stereo is terrible...

Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimman
You forget that room acoustics is one of the most contributing factors to sound quality. It was the objective of Chevrolet to have a system that will work in the confines of a sports car. One of the objectives way back to 1984 was to have a system where both driver and passenger hear the same sound. Only Bose stepped up to the challenge and did a computer simulation of wave fronts in the cabin. The later Bose systems are derivations of the original system. If you observe Near and Far field wave fronts you will see it is very complex. You can get around that by over powering the area and disregarding that analysis by the boom box approach but violate their main objective in a comfortable sound that both sides of the cabin hear the same.
I prefer to "Violate" their anaysis and have it sound good to my ears not just on paper and my passengers seem to like it!Your right about the "boom box" approach,sticking one in the back was my "Budget" option and it would have sounded way better than the stock Delco system.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:47 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I recently noticed that my friend's nav/stereo sounds significantly worse than my standard 6-cd changer version in my C6. Others have reported the same finding (the techs at my vette dealer too). I thought the nav stereo would be a better head unit.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked_C6
All the complaints I've read on the forum (clutch sucks, stereo sucks, this sucks, etc) I have yet to see or experience. The sound on my stereo rocks, clutch works great, shifter works great.

I have no complaints.
Well, that sucks.

Quick Reply: Love my C6, but Stereo is terrible...