C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft pully bolt... MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:52 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Jim, some guy posted something that had the procedure, I can't remember if it was the TSB. At the very least, the rack and pinion has to be moved. I also beleive I read where they actually had to raise the motor, but I can't remeber for sure. So I would only trust it to a dealership, or someone like MTI, etc. One guy here was able to get his dealer to do it pre-emptively. Maybe you could loosen the nut a bit (I don't know how hard it is to get to) and then take it to Robbins ?
I had mine done before it happened. Don't let it fool you if you are within the VIN range it will eventually happen. Yes part of the steering had to be dropped. The mechanic was a seasoned C5 mechanic. If was his first C6 Crank pulley. He installed the diamond embedded washer. Everything went back fine. Took about 5 hours. Drives straight as an arrow.

If you see the "check engine light" come on during driving this would signal the problem and you would need the fix.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 AM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Balancer

This is not a new issue with the LS1, and LS2 engines...this problem has existed since the engine was put out. First off, there is no key way on the crannk and balancer, press fit. If you torgued the engine up on a a regular basis, it will come off....sooner or later. Take the bulletin into your respective dealership, with the car of course, and just say, FIX THE DAMN THING..NOW. it will get done......or wait until you just happen to want to get down on it a little, then it will fix itself...KA-BUMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!1
kickback
YES, MINE WAS CORRECTED AT 850 MILES....
Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Until they do a recall I will not change my avator. Mine went down at the 300 and down again at the 600 mile mark. First fix did not include the right washer. My car was one of the earlier ones to fail and the information was not readily available as it is now----17 days in the shop. There are about 11,000 c6's at risk for this and still no recall. Good luck .
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's the the thread with the repair procedure - pretty serious stuff

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...nkshaft+pulley
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 AM
2000 green hornet
Burning Brakes

Default Its a hard to fix problem, thats for sure

I just read the repair tsb to fix the problem. Its much more than just putting on a diamond washer and then torquing. Heres the post I read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho...ankshaft+pulley

It reminded me of the column lock problem. After the car went out of warranty GM was charging 500 dollars plus to fix. Finally enough complaints from us caused a recall to disengage the faulty unit. At least the column lock didn't cause any damage to the rest of the vehicle. P.S. I remember watching my baby going up on the tow truck bed too.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Any new car will have its aches and pains. Good luck getting yours repaired, it will be fine Just be thankful you aren't hurt.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggles
Any new car will have its aches and pains. Good luck getting yours repaired, it will be fine Just be thankful you aren't hurt.

Not hurt, thankfully, but IF my wife had been driving, I do not think she would have had the strength to steer herself out of trouble..........you really need to know how BAD I-4 is here in FL. Perhaps some of the FL members can tell you had bad it is to drive..............

I emailed the Customer Service Center and received a email back AND a phone message from a very concerned representative who stated that "addressing this issue is very important to me"......................we are currently playing "phone tag".
Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I was at Summit Point Raceway this past Friday, and a brand new Vette owner (his first Vette) was there (first time at Summit) with this C6. Gorgeous car. Part of the way into his second track session, he heard a deafening *THUMP* and had to fight with the steering to get the car off the track safely.

After the engine cooled itself down (it'd sprayed DexCool everywhere,) he started it back up and man-handled it back to the pits. I took a look under the hood and saw exactly what the original poster saw: shredded hood liner and frayed belt.

None of the area Chevy dealers had the belt in stock. But my mind kept flashing back to the Corvette Forum, and his problem seemed so familiar for some reason. So I guess it's a good thing he couldn't find a belt, else he may have "fixed" it and driven home. Fortunately for him, his buddy was there with a big pickup and a flatbed trailer. So the C6 went home on that. :-(

Not a good day for a first-timer at Summit Point. Nor a first-timer Vette owner. What a bummer.

jas
Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by jvp
I was at Summit Point Raceway this past Friday, and a brand new Vette owner (his first Vette) was there (first time at Summit) with this C6. Gorgeous car. Part of the way into his second track session, he heard a deafening *THUMP* and had to fight with the steering to get the car off the track safely.

After the engine cooled itself down (it'd sprayed DexCool everywhere,) he started it back up and man-handled it back to the pits. I took a look under the hood and saw exactly what the original poster saw: shredded hood liner and frayed belt.

None of the area Chevy dealers had the belt in stock. But my mind kept flashing back to the Corvette Forum, and his problem seemed so familiar for some reason. So I guess it's a good thing he couldn't find a belt, else he may have "fixed" it and driven home. Fortunately for him, his buddy was there with a big pickup and a flatbed trailer. So the C6 went home on that. :-(

Not a good day for a first-timer at Summit Point. Nor a first-timer Vette owner. What a bummer.

jas
This problem is not going away. The guy who had the belt go recently had over 5000 miles. Some have felt that if you make it past 2000 miles, you're good to go. I just don't think this is the case. Spring came today. Many vettes will start coming on the road. It will be interesting to see more posts on this subject. I hope nobody gets hurt (or worse) because of this.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 PM
dvsvettmp
Instructor

Default Good Dealer in CT

Does anyone know a good dealer in CT who will do this repair. My Vin is 108557. I'm heading down to FL on a road trip thursday and would hate to have this happen at all, let alone many miles from homebase..

Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dvsvettmp
Does anyone know a good dealer in CT who will do this repair. My Vin is 108557. I'm heading down to FL on a road trip thursday and would hate to have this happen at all, let alone many miles from homebase..

The problem right now would be finding a dealer who will fix it for free. Are you willing on paying several hundred dollars to have it fixed?

Does anyone know the who we could or write to at GM to complain about this issue and put pressure on to get it changed to a recall? Perhaps NTSB or whatever they are called (Government traffic safety board, or whatever). It does appear to me to be a very real safety hazard.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
PrecisionC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Boozman
Sorry for your problem mine is #4954 and 7,700 dailt miles no problem yet
#3376, 4,000 miles...so far, so good
Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Bubbabow
Intermediate

Default Vin Range

I think i understand what this is but could someone be more specific - what vin range of numbers are we talking about
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
OttoNP
Racer

I wouldn't take my car in unless the issue occured. A dealer is far more likely to screw something up with all that is involved in the repair.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, if you've had the problem, and I've seen a couple of new names here, please vote in the poll so that we can keep this thing well documented here.

Mike
Old 03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
The problem right now would be finding a dealer who will fix it for free. Are you willing on paying several hundred dollars to have it fixed?

Does anyone know the who we could or write to at GM to complain about this issue and put pressure on to get it changed to a recall? Perhaps NTSB or whatever they are called (Government traffic safety board, or whatever). It does appear to me to be a very real safety hazard.

I have done that this AM through email:

www.counsel@nhtsa.dot.gov
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That is for an automobile safety complaint... you can fax it, phone it in, or submit electronically.

The safety aspect is of course the loss of power steering and controllability, especially with slippery coolant loss!

Good luck!

Two complaints so far to the website (obviously forum members!!)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm

Results : 2 | All records displayed
Make : CHEVROLET Model : CORVETTE Year : 2005
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10100656 Date of Failure: October 24, 2004
VIN : 1G1YY24U055...
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:BELTS AND ASSOCIATED PULLEYS
Summary:
(1) PURCHASED CAR 10/23/2004. (2) ON 10/24/2004, LESS THAN 24 HOURS AFTER PURCHASING THE CAR, THE CRANK PULLEY "CAME LOOSE" AND THE CAR THREW ITS SERPENTINE BELT (LEARNED AFTER THE INCIDENT) WHILE DRIVING ON A CROWDED INTERSTATE. THE FIRST INDICATION OF A PROBLEM WAS WHEN THE DRIVER INFORMATION CONSOLE (DIC) DISPLAYED A MALFUNCTION WITH THE VEHICLES CHARGING SYSTEM THAT NEEDED SERVICE. VOLTAGE DISPLAYED ON DIC DROPPED QUICKLY IN .1 VOLT INCREMENTS UNTIL ROUGHLY 11 VOLTS WERE DISPLAYED. THEN, THE CAR BECAME INCREASINGLY UNRESPONSIVE TO DRIVER INPUT FOR STEERING AND THROTTLE. BRAKES FELT "MUSHY" BUT CONTINUED TO RESPOND TO DRIVER INPUT. ALTHOUGH THE DASH DISPLAYED A FRIGHTENING NUMBER OF ERROR MESSAGES AND ALARMS, THE OCCUPANTS HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS THE MATTER WITH THE VEHICLE. TRYING TO CROSS 5 LANES OF PACKED FREEWAY TRAFFIC TO GET TO A SAFE BREAK DOWN AREA, IN A CAR THAT APPEARS TO HAVE LOST ITS MIND AND IS SPRAYING ANTIFREEZE ALL OVER THE HIGHWAY, COULD HAVE EASILY RESULTED IN INJURY OR DEATH. WE WERE VERY FORTUNATE THAT WE DID NOT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. 3) VEHICLE WAS "REPAIRED" AT OURISMAN CHEVROLET IN MARLOW HEIGHTS, MD. CRANK PULLEY, BOLT(S), SERPENTINE BELT, AND UNDERHOOD INSULATION (DAMAGED BY FLYING BELT) WERE REPLACED. A FRICTION WASHER WAS ADDED BEHIND THE CRANK PULLEY ON THE ADVICE OF GM TECH SUPPORT. *CAR BROKE DOWN AGAIN WITH THE SAME PROBLEM ON 13 NOVEMBER. CAR IS NOW AT RADLEY CHEVROLET IN FREDERICKSBURG, VA. GM HAS ORDERED THE MOTOR REPLACED AND THE DEALER IS AWAITING PARTS. THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED FAILURE, THERE ARE OTHER LS2 ENGINES BREAKING DOWN BECAUSE OF THIS CRANK PULLEY PROBLEM.*AK

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : CHEVROLET Model : CORVETTE Year : 2005
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10101798 Date of Failure: November 30, 2004
VIN : 1G1YY22U855...
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:BELTS AND ASSOCIATED PULLEYS
Summary:
COMPLAINT RECEIVED VIA E-MAIL. MY 3 DAY OLD CORVETTE SHREDDED ITS SERPENTINE BELT, OVERHEATED, AND LOST ITS STEERING. CAR HAD 300 MILES ON IT. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING ON 'CORVETTE FORUM THIS WAS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT BUT HAS BEEN OCCURRING IN TOO MANY NEW CORVETTES. THIS PROBLEM COULD AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE AS IT NOT ONLY AFFECTED THE COOLING SYSTEM BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY THE STEERING AND BRAKING. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THE REPAIR OF THIS PROBLEM WAS FAILING ON MANY CARS, AND THEY WERE EXPERIENCING IT FOR THE SECOND AND THIRD TIME. *AK. *AK

Last edited by docrings1; 03-21-2005 at 10:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Crankshaft pully bolt... MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:15 PM
avvetteguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler
I"m truly sorry to hear of your misfortune. I just talked to my dealers service dept about this yesterday. In fact, he and I searched his technical bulletin site together. All we could find is a "bulliten" that said basically - if this happens, contact your GM service tech for further information. It didn't even say what the fix was.

My dealer basically told me on a program like this they cannot be reimbursed for fixing it unless the damage is already done. Anyone who can confirm or add to this I would appreciate your thoughts. Also, how hard is it to actually replace the bolt/washer if one were to pay for it themselves (or can it be done by a shade tree mechanic?). And are there signs we can watch for to see if it could be comming loose? Thanks!

Good luck getting this fixed.
The early signs on mine were sounds coming from the belt. It sounded just like a wet fan belt does when you accelerate. The weird thing was that it rained on the day the noise started so I thought that was it. After that things went downhill. Mine was reapired 4000 miles ago and everything is good.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

What a bitch.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing that I'm a bit perplexed about is why the belt does so much damage when it comes off. Belts come off cars all the time and I've never heard of this shredding things and causing oil/coolant leaks. Why is it so bad in this case? Also, why do so many report oil/coolant leaks. What exactly is the belt taking out when it comes off. I would think that normally a belt coming off is a relatively minor thing.

Mike

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pully bolt... MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!