C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 C6 trim levels and side airbags

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 C6 trim levels and side airbags

It surprises me that the base package (1LT) does not include side airbags. Is this essential safety item included in 2LT or just 3LT or even only on 4LT?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

2 through 4LT all have the sport seats with airbags. As to "essential" that's your call. I've had 54 cars and only 3 of those have had side bags. Personally i think it's a good idea and have a 2LT myself..
Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 323 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by adias
It surprises me that the base package (1LT) does not include side airbags. Is this essential safety item included in 2LT or just 3LT or even only on 4LT?
As a wise man once said: "It's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them".

Side airbags are a relatively new safety item and very new for the Corvette. They work and in a side impact you need all the protection you can get.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
ABShortay
Intermediate

They had a study on the effects of side airbags. In terms of preventing fatalities and injuries, they had little to no effect, EXCEPT if the side airbags gave head protection. Side airbags that offered no head protection did little to no good.

However, I myself still have a 2LT, and like how my seats are more adjustable.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

As someone above probably intended to say, options 2LT through 4LT have the side airbags. All options have the front airbags.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Modshack
2 through 4LT all have the sport seats with airbags. As to "essential" that's your call. I've had 54 cars and only 3 of those have had side bags. Personally i think it's a good idea and have a 2LT myself..

They are essential if you want to survive a side impact. You are free to ride any way you like. It's your life... not mine.

I still need to know what's the area covered by Corvette's side airbags. They better be tall enough and cushion one's shoulders and head. I repeat, these are not optional items for anyone who values one's life. To say otherwise is silly bravado.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ABShortay
They had a study on the effects of side airbags. In terms of preventing fatalities and injuries, they had little to no effect, EXCEPT if the side airbags gave head protection. Side airbags that offered no head protection did little to no good.

However, I myself still have a 2LT, and like how my seats are more adjustable.

I did a quick search and it seems that the level 2LT (and up) seats do include side airbags but those only offer thorax-level protection. That is a major design/manufacturing blunder. No one should be in a low sports car without full side impact protection, thorax and head.

Driving currently a Porsche 911 (with full airbag impact protection), I have been learning in this forum about the new '08 C6, and agree that the '08 raises the bar in a number of key areas (steering and transmissions), and as a result I have been pondering a switch to Corvette. This issue, however, may be a fatal flaw preventing me to switch. I honestly say this is a major disappointment.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised by the lack of comments this thread had so far. It appears that most posts on this forum, deal with more "important" things such as paint decals, obnoxious boy-racer exhausts, ricer suspension lowering, bling and unsafe after market chromed rims, and the like. I hope this does not represent the majority of Corvette owners, just an unrepresentative minority. The majority is calling GM to demand better crash safety. I suppose that after this post... the thread will have some action, blasting the messenger, while ignoring the underlying message, as usual.

Last edited by adias; 08-31-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most car companies offer a separate option for side airbags. This is that rare case you have to get a whole package for them. But we're talking about lower end cars where they're not standard. It seems like most cars above $25k these days have side airbags standard.

Get notified of new replies

To '08 C6 trim levels and side airbags

Quick Reply: '08 C6 trim levels and side airbags