C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling/Traction Control, C1295 H

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 AM
dizzysn
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Service Active Handling/Traction Control, C1295 H

Having a weird issue the last two days. Turned my car on last night and got this error. Restarted the car and didn't have any issues at all, until about an hour later. Seems that randomly when I put my turn signal on I get a "Service Active Handling, Service Traction Control" on the DIC, and the orange "Traction control off" on the gauges. Seems to only happen when I hit the hazards, or use my turn signal randomly. DIC shows the code 'C1295 H'. I cleared it but it keeps coming back. Turning the car off and back on seems to work temporarily.

I've searched through the forums and have found a lot of things ranging from needing a brand new ECBM and plenty of other things. My questions are: What are the most likely culprits? I just lost my job earlier this month so taking it to the dealership is out of the question as I need to save my money. I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible. Where should I start looking?

Edit: I know that the code means Brake lamp switch open so no need to post up what all the codes mean

Last edited by dizzysn; 05-28-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

So what have you checked so far? I know you said not to post up from the manual, but did you look into the possible causes?

Stoplamp switch input circuit open.
All brake lamps open.
Stoplamp switch open or misadjusted.
Open brake lamp ground.
Circuit has a wiring problem, terminal corrosion, or poor connections.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 AM
dizzysn
Pro

Originally Posted by 87SAM
So what have you checked so far? I know you said not to post up from the manual, but did you look into the possible causes?

Stoplamp switch input circuit open.
All brake lamps open.
Stoplamp switch open or misadjusted.
Open brake lamp ground.
I haven't checked anything yet, because frankly, I don't know where to start. I can change brakes, install headers and an intake manifold but I don't know the first thing about electrical stuff. All the stuff you posted is very helpful, but where should I physically go to check those things on the car?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dizzysn
Having a weird issue the last two days. Turned my car on last night and got this error. Restarted the car and didn't have any issues at all, until about an hour later. Seems that randomly when I put my turn signal on I get a "Service Active Handling, Service Traction Control" on the DIC, and the orange "Traction control off" on the gauges. Seems to only happen when I hit the hazards, or use my turn signal randomly. DIC shows the code 'C1295 H'. I cleared it but it keeps coming back. Turning the car off and back on seems to work temporarily.

I've searched through the forums and have found a lot of things ranging from needing a brand new ECBM and plenty of other things. My questions are: What are the most likely culprits? I just lost my job earlier this month so taking it to the dealership is out of the question as I need to save my money. I'd like to do this as inexpensively as possible. Where should I start looking?

Edit: I know that the code means Brake lamp switch open so no need to post up what all the codes mean
That DTC has a whole host of related issues that can cause the problem. So, careful examination of all the troubleshooting recommendations is recommended before you start replacing stuff. Heres the DTC definition with trouble guide:

DTC C1295
Circuit Description
The electronic brake control module (EBCM) sources 5 volts on the stop lamp switch signal circuit when the stop lamp switch is inactive. The voltage is supplied a ground path through the stop lamp bulbs.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The stop lamp switch input voltage is between 1.87 volts and 5.03 volts for 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
If equipped, the following actions occur:

The EBCM disables the TCS/VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.
The Traction Control and Active Handling indicator turns ON.
The DIC displays the following messages:
Service Traction System
Service Active Handling
The ABS remains functional.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids
Possible causes of this DTC are the following conditions:

A signal circuit of the stop lamp switch is open.
The stop lamp switch is misadjusted.
Verify proper stop lamp switch operation using the data list of the scan tool. As the brake is applied, the data list displays the stop lamp switch ON within 2.54 cm (1 in) of travel.
All brake lamps are open.
All brake lamp grounds are open.
Loose or corroded EBCM ground or ECM ground.
An internal EBCM problem.
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This DTC detects an open stop lamp switch signal circuit from the stoplamp side of the splice pack to the EBCM.

The EBCM sources 5 volts on the stop lamp switch signal circuit. This small voltage has a ground path through the stop lamp bulbs. This DTC sets if the path to ground is open.

Step
Action
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: ABS Schematics

Connector End View Reference: ABS Connector End Views

Did you perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS

Press the brake pedal.
With the scan tool, observe the Stop lamp Switch parameter in the TCS data list.
Does the Stoplamp Switch parameter display Applied?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 3

Test the signal circuit of the stoplamp switch for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 7

Press the brake pedal.

Are all of the stop lamps OFF?
Go to Step 5
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Test the feed circuit of the stoplamps for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 9
Go to Step 6

Test the ground circuit for the stoplamps for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 9
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the EBCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 9
Go to Step 8

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 9
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?
Go to Step 2
System OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 670726
2002 Chevrolet Corvette

Heres the schematc associated with the issue/DTC:

Check the FUSES, VOLTAGES, and the Brake Switch. Make sure that the connector is properly connected and the switch is properly adjusted.

Check the voltages AT THE FUSES (test points on top of each fuse) to ground and make sure that it reads full battery voltage.

Make SURE that you read fuse #5 with the ignition switch ON (as it is ignition switch controlled) and read it while someone operates the things that cause the car to have issues. See if it drops LOW.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-28-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM
dizzysn
Pro

I stared at that diagram for 20 minutes. I have no idea what I'm looking at. I think it's in my best interest to find someone who does
Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
dizzysn
Pro

So I spent a little over an hour outside looking for shorts. Found a few odd things.

1) It only happens when the head lights are on. I can leave the turn signal on for 20 minutes with the lights off. As soon as they go on a signal in either side, or hazards for around 15 seconds sets it off.

2) I also had the passenger kick plate off, looking around the EBCM for any corrosion or shorts and I found something weird. I found one set of three wires going into a connector, that was connected to nothing. Everything in the car works fine (windows, locks, air, radio). There was also a second connector to the right clipped into a plastic panel with four wires, again nothing was connected to it. The plugs do not fit together. Here are some pictures:

This is how I saw them when I pulled the EBCM out.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I hear ya man!! I feel the same way when I look at computer code.. We can get you thru the schematic.. Thats the easy part. You just need a digital multimeter that you can use and understand.

Seeing how you need the help,, just give me a call. PM sent

Bill
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The wires in that picture are for the rear mounted CD Changer. Theres an extension harness that plugs into those plugs. If you dont have a 12 Disk changer, those wires will not be used.

The EBTCM is in the engine compartment :

The big silver box mext to the fuse box is the Body Control Module BCM

PM Sent..

Bill
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Bill, these are the two wires that I found:

Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM
dizzysn
Pro

Also, I replaced the battery on Monday, and it's not holding a charge. I'm wondering if maybe my alternator is shot, and isn't putting out the correct voltage, thus causing this issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling/Traction Control, C1295 H

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling/Traction Control, C1295 H