C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

C5 wheel bearing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Red-Vroom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 wheel bearing replacement?

Hello,

Has anyone come across any threads or web sites on replacing the wheel bearings on a C5? Pictures / removal / install recommendations? Any particular bearing recommended or just stock Delco’s?

Thanks,

SG
Old 06-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

C5 Corvette Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Helpful Hints:

- Only use a breaker bar (or impact wrench) to initially break the clamping torque of a bolt during removal. Use a ratchet, or wrench to remove it the rest of the way. This way, you can tell if the nut or bolt starts to cross thread. This will give you a chance to do something about it.

- Use common sense.

- Take your time.

- If you don’t understand something, ask somebody for help.

- Torque Specs are as follows:

o 125 ft/lb – caliper mounting bolts
o 96 lb/ft – wheel bearing/hub torx bolts
o 52 lb/ft – lower ball-joint
o 33 lb/ft – tie-rod end
o (Page 3-25 of the service manual (Thanks Steve Thomton)

- This procedure is not official and is intended as an aid to the Do-It-Yourselfers out there.

- I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your car during or after this installation. It is up to YOU to ENSURE that all of your bolts are tightened, etc. (Sorry to mention this, but there are too many intellectually challenged people out there who like to half-*** things like this!)

- It took me about 1hr and 30min per side for this replacement. The dealer charges 2 hours per side for this job (@$95/hr).

TOOLS:

- Torque Wrench (up to 150 ft-lbs)
- Breaker bars (3/8” and/or 1/2”)
- Ratchets (3/8” and/or 1/2”)
- 1/2” to 3/8” socket adapter (if needed)
- 3/8” extension (if needed)
- 21mm wrench
- 18mm wrench
- 18mm socket
- T55 Star Tool
- # 6 Allen socket (3/8”)
- Hammer
- Rubber mallet
- Screwdriver
- WD-40
- Jack
- Jack Stands
- Large C-clamp (5-6”)
- Wooden 2x4 – 12 inches long
- Four 2x4x12” wood choc blocks
- The picture above shows a ball joint puller, but you
don’t need it!
- Common Sense

PARTS:

Complete Hub assembly with ABS sensor -
AutoZone Part Number: 513139
(This is also the same as the TIMKEN part no.)

Cost: $155.00 each (or $600 at the Chevrolet dealer if
you’re a sucker.)

PROCEDURE:

1.) Break the initial torque on the front lug nuts (so that you can finish taking them off when you jack the car up).

On level ground, chock the rear wheels with the 2x4x12 wood chocks and jack up the front of the Vette high enough to remove the front wheels. Insert two jack stands under the front sub frame, and lower the car down onto the stands to provide a stable working environment.
(See diagram below)

2.) Remove the lug nuts and front wheels.

3.) Remove the brake caliper bolts (2) with a 21mm wrench. (See diagram below)

4.) Remove the caliper and brake disc as a whole and use the disc (sitting on the ground) to hold the caliper up to keep tension off of the brake line.
(See diagram below)

5.) Disconnect the front tie rod (18mm socket) from the knuckle.

The best way to disconnect the tie rod is by first loosening the 18mm nut until it is flush with the end of the threads, and then tapping (NOT WHACKING!!!) the ball joint w/ a hammer until it falls down (see diagram). If you’re hitting it hard enough to show physical damage, you may want to use a piece of wood (small 2x4) and placing it between the hammer and ball joint. (See diagram below)

6.) Remove the nut and move the toe link out of the way
(See diagram below).

7.) Remove the lower ball-joint nut (21mm) (bottom inside of upright). You may want to WD-40 the threads before you start loosening the nut to ease removal.

Using a 12” long wooden 2x4, knock the lower ball joint loose by placing one end of the block on the tip of the lower a-arm and hitting it w/ a hammer.
(See diagram).

8.) Rotate the upright so that you can get to the three star bolts (T55 Star Socket) which bolt the bearing housing into the upright.

Disconnect the ABS sensor plug. NOTICE where the ABS sensor wire is coming out from behind the upright. We’ll want to replace it back this way w/ the new bearing housing.

Remove the three star bolts. You may have to use a breaker bar to break the initial clamping torque on these bolts. Use WD-40 to lubricate the bolts then remove them w/ a ratchet to ease removal and prevent cross threading. (See diagram below)

9.) Remove bearing assembly from upright.
(See diagram below)

10.) Remove bearing assembly from abs sensor mount.
(See diagram below)

11.) Install the new hub assembly into the abs plate, and install/bolt that assembly back into the knuckle. (Make sure you put the plate back on, like you took it off, with the abs flange pointing in towards the engine. Or, just look at the pics below!)

Torque the star bolts (hub/wheel bearing torxes)

12.) Mount knuckle back onto lower ball joint and replace nut. Use a #6 Allen socket w/ ratchet to hold the ball joint shaft from spinning, while tightening the nut with a 21mm wrench.

Plug the abs sensor wire back into the abs plug once you have the bearing mounted in the knuckle.
(See diagram below)

If you don’t hold the ball joint shaft with the allen socket, it will simply spin when you install and tighten the nut!  Once the ball joint has been seated, you can torque the nut w/ a torque wrench.

13.) Install tie rod link. Use the same method as above for tightening the tie rod ball joint nut (i.e. use the #6 allen socket and ratchet). Once seated, Torque to spec.(see above)

14.) Install brake caliper and brake disk
(See diagram below).

15.) DOUBLE-CHECK ALL nuts to ensure they are snug and torqued!

16.) Bolt wheel back on and snug lug nuts.

17.) Remove the jack stands and Lower car with the jack.

18.) Torque the lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs (that was the torque specified in my corvette owners manual).

19.) Enjoy the noiseless ride and the money you saved!
The following 2 users liked this post by Last C5:
John Studer (03-09-2021), mackey (03-11-2018)
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
reco99
4th Gear

I also have to change a wheel bearing in the rear of my C5. I've been looking around to see what I can find for prices. I've not done too much with bearings but I found a site that sells Timken bearings, if memory serves me right they are a pretty decent brand. I don't want to spend huge dollars but on the other hand I don't want to go with the cheapest option if its junk. Can anyone give me some opinions on this? Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,995 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Timkens are the brand GM uses. If you want a heavy duty bearing then you want SKF bearings but they will cost more.

Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM
reco99
4th Gear

Thanks Bill
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

why do you think you need new wheel bearings?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 AM
reco99
4th Gear

One of the back ones is making some noise, at least I'm pretty sure it's one of the bearings. Its making that low "hum" (for lack of better terminology)sound at highway speeds.

Last edited by reco99; 08-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The rear bearings take a beating. The fronts are normaly good for a LONG LONG time. Just check them for freeplay side to side and top to bottom. If there isnt any excessive play, you good. The replacement bearings from the autoparts store are as good as any. Most carry TIMKIN (SP?)
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 AM
reco99
4th Gear

I jacked the back up today and checked for play on both sides but couldn't feel any. Spun both rims and tried to see if I could hear anything, but I guess it's not that bad yet. Couldn't hear anything. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. And go from there. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A question about the above - it omits cv axle install/removal. You need to have the lower ball joint off to install the cv axle. At which point you cannot access the nut on the lower ball joint. Have you guys been able to install the lower ball joint and then later install the CV axle?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Here's a link with pics. It got me thru the job. The CV socket is actually 33mm.

http://www.c5help.com/C5_Rear_Wheel_Bearing.htm
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I used that. He says to jam the ball joint back upwards with a pickled fork. I have not found one that fits.
I actually avoid removing the lower bj altogether and just take off the upper - much better access for the allen key.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
mlfair43
8th Gear

A lesson I learned on the wheel bearings: You can have enough wear to cause a long brake pedal due to pad kickback, but there is no side play, slop, or noise in the bearing. I lived with a pedal that had to be pumped up for a year. I checked the wheel bearings multiple times, and there was nothing obviously wrong. However, after eliminating everything else, I replaced them. I do track days, so I used the SKF heavy-duty bearings. That was the end of the soft brake pedal problem.

If you are experiencing a log pedal that pumps up, your bearings may be worn, even if you're not experiencing noise, noticeable side play, etc.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 PM
ianmcgee67179
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you send the pictures you mentioned in your article? Thanks. Looks very thorough.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it recommended to replace the 3 star t55 bolts with new ones? Or upgrade possibly?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by DK83
Is it recommended to replace the 3 star t55 bolts with new ones? Or upgrade possibly?
Not necessary but there is nothing stopping you from upgrading although I don't know why you would want to. I reused mine and have several thousand miles on it with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
DK83 (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:30 PM
DK83
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will just re use as they seem good to use again.

As a note, my rear cv nut was a 35mm.

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Not necessary but there is nothing stopping you from upgrading although I don't know why you would want to. I reused mine and have several thousand miles on it with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 wheel bearing replacement?

Old 04-08-2024, 02:45 PM
Keithtatu
1st Gear

I did the fronts this weekend 30 mins each i didn't need to undo anything accept thecaliper bracket and pop out the lower balljoint just enough to get the bolt out of the bottom of the hub it was easy I dont know why everyone takes the whole knuckle and tie rods off
Old 04-09-2024, 06:44 PM
bassfisher
Pro

Good job!
Old 04-09-2024, 08:48 PM
Tron Z
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

The OE bearings are more than adequate for the street, but if you race the car, or do track days, give serious consideration to going with the heavy duty SKF bearings.

Quick Reply: C5 wheel bearing replacement?