C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Seats in a C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
vettn71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Seats in a C5

I had posted earlier that I was putting C6 seats in my 99. Some of you asked for pictures, so I thought I'd got hrough the process of what I did to maybe help others thinking of doing the same thing.

Here's the tools needed. You'll also need a drill.

This is the C6 compared to the C5 sport seats. There's so much black in a C5 interior, I thought the black seats would look okay. To access the bolts holding the seat frame to the tracks the bottom seat cover has to be removed.

This is where you start on the C5 seat. There are 3 hog rings holding the seat bottom top to the frame. Remove these using pliers. I reused mine, so don't cut them if you want to use them again.

The C6 seat has the same 3 hog rings.

The C6 seat tracks have four bolts that hold the track from sliding. Sometimes it helps to remove them so you can slide them back or forward.

Both the C5 and the C6 use a drawstring to snug the cover up. Untie these, being careful not to damage them.

These are nasty little buggers. I took a small screwdriver and ground it flat to make it thin enough to push the clip off the stud for the recliner. I had clip hang up (cockeyed) and I couldn't get it unclipped and wound up cutting the handle in two pieces to remove the clip. There's a tool you can buy that pushes both sides off at once.

This is the C5 control panel removed. Push the retainer and remove the connector so the panel can be removed from the seat.

These were fun to get off. There were two hog rings on each, but they are tight up against the cushion. These hold the top of the cover to the sides.

One clip on each side attaches the cover to the seat foam. I didn't replace this hog ring when I put it back together.

Ther's a bolt in each corner of the frame. Uses a 13mm or a 1/2" socket. Depending on the seat position you may have to use an open-end wrench.

Unclip the electronics and cut the cable ties from the inflator, as well as any cable tie that holds the seat to the frame. Some do and some don't, so don't cut them all.

This white connector is the same for both seats, so I didn't rewire anything here. Just unclip.

This is the inflator and the cable tie holding it. Slide it around do it doesn't get hung up in the seat cables

Here's the C5 seat just before separating it from the frame.

This is the C5 frame separated from the tracks.

This is the primary difference between the C5 and C6 seats. The C6 uses this velcro to tie the sides together. Just separate it.

Removing the C6 controls is a bit different, also. Unscrew the one screw at the back and slide the cover off. Remove the 3 screws holding the plate onto the seat.

Remove the electriocal connector from the seat switches and separate.

This is the seat and frame of the C6. Not much difference in appearance from the C5, although the wiring is completley different.

This is the C6 frame on the C5 tracks. The C6 uses nuts to hold the frame on, whereas the C5 uses bolts. They are in exactly the same locations and bolt right up.

Two new holes have to be drilled in the C6 frame to mount the C5 switch control panel. This is one of them. The switch panel has a stud that is used to position the panel. It just slides into this hole

Install one of two hog rings to connect these two pieces together.

This is the C5 switch control panel on the C6 seat. Both my panels were old and brittle and I'll replac them some time. Note the non-standard screw I used to secure the back of the panel.. The plastic on both sides fell apart here, but you can't see it very well with the recliner handle on.

The front screw was a bear. The easiest way to locate the screw is to mount the switch control panel, then drill through the mounting hole into the seat frame and install the screw with everything in place.

I have to submit another post, as I'm only allowed 25 pictures. I'll post it right away.

Jim

Last edited by vettn71; 08-01-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Photos out of order

Quick Reply: C6 Seats in a C5