C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Cleared codes in DIC now car wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Radioactivette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! Cleared codes in DIC now car wont start?

Hello I have a 98 automatic coupe and had a "service engin soon" and a "check engin light" on, car was runnig ok. So I cleared the codes through the DIC now the car wont start codes were PCM P1416 H-C, TCS C1286 H-C and BCM B2723 H-C Also reprogramed my new #1 key fob that day lost original set. had new key made it was working fine HELP!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not an expert on codes nor do I play one on TV however, this may be of some assistance -

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=code+list Hope this helps
Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

It looks like you have an issue with your key. The other codes will not keep the car from starting. Are you sure you have a key with the correct resistor pellet? If you don't have a correct resistor on the key the car will not start. It is part of an excellent anti-theft system.

Here is the diagnostic info for the Key Problem:
DTC B2723 PASS-Key Detection Circuit

Circuit Description
Inserting the PASS-Key® (with resistor pellet) in the ignition lock cylinder completes the PASS-Key® circuit. Contacts in the ignition lock cylinder mate with the pellet contacts. The BCM compares the resistance value of the key pellet to the valid resistance programmed into the BCM. If the proper resistance value is read, the BCM allows the following functions to occur:

The theft deterrent relay to energize.
The steering column to unlock.
The BCM sends a message through the serial data line to the PCM to allow fuel enable processing to occur.
If the resistance value is incorrect, a malfunction is present and a DTC will set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The voltage level sampled at the BCMs PASS-Key® input circuit is high, signaling that an invalid PASS-Key® resistance was detected, and a short to voltage or an open circuit is present.
This condition must be present for 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
Stores a DTC B2723 in the BCM memory.
Sends a message to the IPC to display the SECURITY indicator.
The BCM will disable the theft deterrent relay.
The PCM will not allow fuel enable processing to occur.
Disables sampling of the PASS-Key® resistance for a time-out period of 3 minutes.
Does not disarm an armed UTD system
The steering column remains in the locked position.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
This DTC requires an ignition cycle in order to change from current to history.
The BCM detects a valid PASS-Key® resistance value on the PASS-Key® input circuit (CKT 1073).
A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.
Use the IPC clearing DTCs feature.
Use a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
The following conditions may cause an intermittent malfunction:
There is an intermittent open or short to voltage in CKT 1073 or CKT 1074.
There are poor connections at the BCM or the ignition switch connector.
The PASS-Key® resistor is open.
The ignition lock cylinder key contacts or the PASS-Key® resistor is dirty or loose.
If the key resistor pellet is incorrect, there will be no BCM outputs to the theft deterrent relay or to the PCM. This state will last about 3 minutes. If a key is inserted, or the ignition is turned ON again before the 3 minute time frame is complete, the timer will reset to 3 minutes. Disconnecting the battery will not clear the timer sequence, but the timer will reset to 3 minutes when the battery power is restored. Even if a proper key is inserted during one of the time periods, the vehicle will not start until the total time period has lapsed.
Clean away any dirt or grease from the key resistor. The foreign substances could interfere with the key detection circuit and set a DTC.
If there is an open or a short to voltage on CKT 1073 or CKT 1074, the vehicle will exhibit a no crank condition.
Check for any poor connections at the BCM and at the ignition lock cylinder. A poor connection can cause an open, a short, incorrect PASS-Key® resistance, or an intermittent malfunction. If the DTC is a history DTC, the problem may be intermittent. Perform the tests while moving the related wiring, the connectors, and the key. This can often cause the malfunction to appear. Refer to Intermittents and Poor Connections .
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

2. This step checks to see if the PASS-Key® resistor pallet is within the allowable range.

3. This step uses the ignition lock cylinder test in order to determine if the ignition lock cylinder is functioning properly.

4. This step determines if there is a short to ground in CKT 1073.

5. This step checks if there is a short between CKT 1073 or CKT 1074 which the BCM would interpret as a short to ground.

6. This step checks for an intermittent malfunction and requests a thorough inspection of any related PASS-Key® circuit wiring and connections.

DTC B2723 -- PASS-Key® Detection Circuit Short to Voltage or Open Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Were you sent here from the BCM Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System

Insert the ignition key into the J 35628-A interrogator in order to check the vehicle key code number.

Does the J 35628-A interrogator indicate a valid key code in the specified range?
Key Code #1--15
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 9

Perform the lock cylinder test using the J 35628-A interrogator. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Test .

Was a problem found?
--
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 4

Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Disconnect the ignition lock cylinder connector C3.
Turn ON the ignition switch.
At the BCM side of the ignition lock cylinder connector C3, measure the voltage between terminals A and B.
Is the voltage reading within specifications?
Approx. 5.0 V
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 5

Check for an open or short to voltage in CKTs 1073 or 1074.

Was a circuit problem found and repaired?
--
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 10

Check the ignition lock cylinder circuit for an intermittent malfunction. Refer to Diagnostic Aids.

Was an intermittent malfunction found and repaired?
--
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 7

Reconnect or install any connectors or components that were disconnected or removed.
Clear any DTCs. Refer to Clearing DTCs .
Wait 5 seconds and check for DTCs.
Does DTC B2723 set as current?
--
Go to Step 10
System OK

Replace the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Is the replacement complete?
--
Go to Step 11
--

Replace the ignition key. Refer to Programming Replacement Keys, Ign Cyl, or PCM .

--
Go to Step 11
--

Replace the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement .
Program the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
--
Go to Step 11
--

Reconnect or install any connectors or components that were disconnected or removed.
Clear any DTCs. Refer to Clearing DTCs .
Is the repair complete?
--
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System
--

Bill
Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Radioactivette
Advanced

Took my spare key to the dealer got a new one took it to the locksmith got it cut it worked fine that night.If it was the wrong chip would it still start the car?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Wrong chip would not let the car start.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
aquaholic
Racer

your ignition switch contacts are burnt. do a search for "ignition repair" and follow bill curlee's thread. i'm going through the exact same thing you are. sometimes the car just clicks and won't start, sometimes the guages and dic go berzerk, sometimes both happen. i feel your pain. i havn't put my reconditioned ignition switch back in yet but hopefully i'll get to it tomorrow. my 99 only has 14,000 miles on it and you should have seen those contacts. black as coal.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Cleared codes in DIC now car wont start?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Cleared codes in DIC now car wont start?