C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering gear box

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:23 AM
akvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering gear box

Manual states to use a GM steering gear lubricant. Called local GM dealer and they stated they do not have any special steering gear lubricant. What is okay to put in the gearbox? Also, how do you adjust the lash screw on top of steering gear box? It appears that I have some play in the gearbox and want to try adjusting prior to a rebuild/purchase. Thx in advance. :flag
Old 03-11-2003, 02:07 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: steering gear box (akvette)

I think it's better to use heavy grease.

To adjust the gearbox, loosen the nut in the center of the cap. Use a flat screwdriver to turn the stud in the center of the nut in about 1/2 a turn, then retighten the nut. Try that before tearing into the gearbox, it's much cheaper. :lol:
Old 03-11-2003, 09:17 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

I think i have seen this lube in the Mid America catalog.

jim
Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 AM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try GM 12377985. This number came from a very smart Corvette Guy at the NCRS site. I used this lube in my steering box when I rebuilt it a couple of years ago. My car has headers and to date I haven't had a problem.

Chuck D
Old 03-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To adjust to remove play in box, turn down until it lightly touches. Better less than too much. There is NO set amount, it could be 1/8 to about 1 1/2 turns. Have set many.

:cool:

PS I have set many up on the forum, then Jim Shea (st. expert) got on this forum.
For more info., see Jim Shea.

[Modified by Ganey, 9:16 AM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 10:30 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,351 Posts

I just finished rebuilding two boxes. I used Mobil 1 red grease in them. The grease is rated at 450* with a drop point of about 220*. Be sure the problem is in the box before you start adjusting the lash screw. It could be a bad rag joint,control valve if you have PS, loose steering parts like the idler arm, tie rod ends, or the manual relay rod arm stud.
The lash screw moves the pitman shaft up or down in the housing, which closes the backlash between the pitman shaft sector gear and the worm nut. You should disconnect the pitman arm before adjusting the box so that you don't get fooled by the linkage play. You'll need a good pitman arm puller to remove it. I set the boxes with a dial in/lb torque wrench on the bench. There are spec's in the GM manual for setting bearing preload and lash. Your gear is probably low on oil or grease- I found both in some of the boxes I opened up.
Good Luck,
Gary
Old 03-11-2003, 11:07 PM
akvette
Advanced

Thanks guys for your help. :cheers: Put mobil 1 red grease in steering box and adjusted lash. Steers great again! I appreciate the help you forum members have given me. :D

Thanks Akvette

Get notified of new replies

To steering gear box

Quick Reply: steering gear box