C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window defogger

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear window defogger

Hi guys-
I finally found a blower motor for the rear window defogger on my '75 convertible at the Daytona turkey rod run. It installs on the rear wheel hump on the drivers side but I don't know if it mounts on top of the carpet or if I have to cut a hole in the carpet. Anybody out there know?
I'm not too wild about cutting on my carpet.
TIA
Skinner
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leskinner
Hi guys-
I finally found a blower motor for the rear window defogger on my '75 convertible at the Daytona turkey rod run. It installs on the rear wheel hump on the drivers side but I don't know if it mounts on top of the carpet or if I have to cut a hole in the carpet. Anybody out there know?
I'm not too wild about cutting on my carpet.
TIA
Skinner
Rear window defogger on a vert? They came with one?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
flaco1801
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 74 coupe it actually mounts above the rear wheel...there is a cup where it sits and gets bolted to the inside of the fender...look at another vette with the defogger option and you would see a "cup" above the drivers side rear wheel...if you had the cup you would just drill a hole in the fender and "glue" the cup in...i think i used 1/4 20 stainless hardware to secure the blower to the cup/fender... dont drill thru the carpet, pull it down, the bit will catch the carpet and make a run...once u see the cup you will understand the installation...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Thanks guys. I can see the two screw holes where the blower mounts on top of the hump with the carpet pulled back. That is the only place it can go because of the strange ductwork in the top lid. I just don't wanna cut carpet if I don't have to. And yes....some convertibles have rear window defoggers.
Ya'll Enjoy !
Skinner
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

My '75 vert was originally delivered in AK and the rear window defogger is original equipment per the build sheet. Car had ~16k miles on it when I bought it in 1992 so I am pretty sure that the install in factory. Mine has always been mounted on top of the carpet (like the seta belt retractors) with the rear carpet panel trimmed for clearance. Here are some photos:

Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. My car isn't a real convertible but in it's coupe days had a rear window defogger. The switch on the console now is for my electric antenna. Are those motors hard to find now?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lil" Red Corvette
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. My car isn't a real convertible but in it's coupe days had a rear window defogger. The switch on the console now is for my electric antenna. Are those motors hard to find now?
It took me years to find one. I paid $185 for the one I have and it's NOS. I had found one about a year ago that was NOS and if memory serves, the guy wanted $1000 for it, I passed on that one....
Good luck if you are searching.
Enjoy !
Skinner
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveG75
My '75 vert was originally delivered in AK and the rear window defogger is original equipment per the build sheet. Car had ~16k miles on it when I bought it in 1992 so I am pretty sure that the install in factory. Mine has always been mounted on top of the carpet (like the seta belt retractors) with the rear carpet panel trimmed for clearance. Here are some photos:

Thanks for the photos Steve. I finished my installation yesterday and the photos confirm I did it right. Looks just like yours. What amazed me is that the switch was still functional and the wiring harness was intact.
Even more amazing it works.
I expect that this is a fairly rare option, wonder how many convertibles out there have it ?
Ya'll Enjoy !
Skinner
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leskinner
It took me years to find one. I paid $185 for the one I have and it's NOS. I had found one about a year ago that was NOS and if memory serves, the guy wanted $1000 for it, I passed on that one....
Good luck if you are searching.
Enjoy !
Skinner
No, I'm not searching because I don't need one on my car living here in Vegas. Don't even put the top up that often. Since my car was a couple I would have to find all the other hard to find parts as well. Reason I was asking was that I might have one out in the garage somewhere. Sure hope I didn't throw it out.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lil" Red Corvette
No, I'm not searching because I don't need one on my car living here in Vegas. Don't even put the top up that often. Since my car was a couple I would have to find all the other hard to find parts as well. Reason I was asking was that I might have one out in the garage somewhere. Sure hope I didn't throw it out.
Do some diggin', it's worth a few bucks
Good luck
Skinner
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
L89 Roadster
Racer

Hello, I am in need of the upper duct piece for a roadster like yours. Do you have one or know of anyone I can call? Thanks, Jon 913-488-2592
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
leskinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by jshafer
Hello, I am in need of the upper duct piece for a roadster like yours. Do you have one or know of anyone I can call? Thanks, Jon 913-488-2592
I expect that the only place you might find one would be a wrecker yard. Ain't gonna be easy....Luckily, mine had all the ductwork but being a convertible, I expect the blower motor swallowed a lot of water/rain in it's "top down" life. Good luck.
Larry
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
RizVet
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 71 vert with the defogger option....any idea how rare this is guys?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM
L89 Roadster
Racer

Is it a roadster or coupe??
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
RizVet
Racer

convertible
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM
L89 Roadster
Racer

Pretty Rare---is it all intact and in good shape, work correct, etc.?

In putting mine together---I may have some additional parts.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
RizVet
Racer

works perfect but obviously never use it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear window defogger

Quick Reply: Rear window defogger