C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I measure bump steer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Günther-C3
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How can I measure bump steer?

Hi all!
How can I determine, if I need a anti bump steer kit like VB&P provides?

Thanks, Günther
Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Golden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the car on stands, get the wishbones at the right height for normal running, measure the front wheel alignment, then lift the wheels and re-check.

You need to remove the springs so that you can get the wishbones to move freely.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can feel bump steer.

FWIW: most 68s had a stock damper to counter act bump steer, but GM discontinued it.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The interesting thing about that kit is, it does not only change the bump steer. It changes the Ackerman angles; the toe-out on turns. The factory setup is very close to a parallel steer system; the toe-out on turns is very small. The bump steer kit moves the pivot point , where the tie rod end connects to the spindle, not only downward, but inward. This increases the angle at which the inside wheel turns into the turn (the toe-out). This will change the "feel" of the car when turning, as well as decreasing the toe changes when the wheels are straight ahead. So you are changing two things at the same time.
The factory race manual "Chevrolet Power" suggests the bump steer needs to be modified only on cars with a lowered suspension.
You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

IMCO anyone who has gone to the trouble to properly lower a C2/C3 chassis should install the bumpsteer kit. The blocks aren't perfect, but net a substantial improvement from stock bumpsteer, nevertheless. And, yes, they also increase Ackerman, which has some pluses.

A while back Jason Staley went to the trouble of sharing the bumpsteer curves on his shark, before & after, if you want to search for it. Should you wish to measure it yourself...

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?artid=13

Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden
Put the car on stands, get the wishbones at the right height for normal running, measure the front wheel alignment, then lift the wheels and re-check.

You need to remove the springs so that you can get the wishbones to move freely.

that is incorrect, bump steer is measured with a fixture and dial indicators.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Golden
Pro

Originally Posted by redvetracr
Thank you for your pompous, self righteous correction, if you knew what you were talking about it would be something.

Bump steer is caused by the suspension not travelling in a parallel arc to the steering arm.

As such when the suspension deflects in induces a change in the tracking (toe).

This change can be measured with a dial gauge at the wheel or with wheel alignment equipment, you're doing the same thing but just using different units.

One of us is a suspension expert, I'll give you a clue, it's not you.

Last edited by Golden; 06-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You can feel bump steer.
Isn't that the truth! Been trying to adjust it out of my car with no luck so far...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Thank you for your pompous, self righteous correction, if you knew what you were talking about it would be something.

One of us is a suspension expert, I'll give you a clue, it's not you.

really? who do you think has more wins in a C-3 vintage racer? me or you? while your at it do a search on "bump steer gauge" you might learn something.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

read and learn the CORRECT way to measure bump steer, it`s done with a gauge.

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?artid=13
Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Golden
Pro

You've just shown your ignorance for a third time.

If you understood what you were measuring, you'd know that there are many ways of measuring bump steer, other than using a $250 gauge.

Have you not considered the foolishness of posting a link to the correct way to measure it when it's on the site of the retailer of said $250 gauge .

Bump steer is a calculation of basic geometry and as such can be measured with anything from a $50k laser system, to a $250 gauge to a piece of wood and a tape measure.

Before posting in a thread with the self righteous tone of a self appointed messiah, why don't you stop and consider the fact that; you might be wrong; there are people who know more than you; your tone is rude.

I'm afraid winning a few club races neither changes the laws of mathematics nor is a qualification in vehicle engineering.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redvetracr
That's my understanding as well but there is always new procedures. The old bumpsteer procedures are described in the following threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...p-steer-s.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ump-steer.html

This bumpsteer procedure is not for the faint of heart but it is precise. If there is an easier, cheaper, better way as some suggest, please post the procedure and pictures similar to the old way (second thread) and the resulting graph of toe change versus vertical movement (first post). This way we Corvette enthusiasts can use either procedure.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Uh, oh, someone had the nerve,..............the unmitigated gall,..............the sheer temerity,..............to disagree with Golden!! What's he trying to do, get us all killed?!?!?!?

Scott
Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 AM
Günther-C3
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you guys for your informations and now I now, how important is to eliminate the bump steering.
Now I now, how to measure and determine bump steering but my last question is, how do I lower the outer tie rod?

Thanks, Günther
Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Golden
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T3C3TTZ07
If there is an easier, cheaper, better way as some suggest, please post the procedure and pictures similar to the old way (second thread) and the resulting graph of toe change versus vertical movement (first post). This way we Corvette enthusiasts can use either procedure.
OMG, please stop and step away from the sheep like mentality of having to pay $250 to measure something.

Stop trusting what you're told by pretentious blowhards who have a high school shop class understanding of what they're doing and think for yourselves.

Consider what your doing, you're just measuring toe change as the suspension deflects from it's normal ride height position.

In the same way there are many ways to measure toe, there are also many ways to measure bump steer, all you're doing is measuring toe after a fixed amount of suspension deflection.

Unless you're going to build a complex CAD model, if you're going to shim the steering you're going to be doing it by trial and error so it really doesn't matter what units you use as long as your method is accurate and repeatable.

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Uh, oh, someone had the nerve,..............the unmitigated gall,..............the sheer temerity,..............to disagree with Golden!! What's he trying to do, get us all killed?!?!?!?

Scott
Just to clarify, this wasn't a disagreement, Mr 'I've won a few club races and therefore know more than Adrian Newey' shouted 'YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, I'VE WON A FEW CLUB RACES, YOU'RE WRONG'.

A disagreement is when two people have a valid point of view and either opinion is potentially correct. What he said is, ironically, as he used the term, incorrect.

To put it another way, imagine hypothetically the OP had asked how to measure a piece of lumber.

I suggested he use a tape measure as he may already have one and understand how it works.

The Dale Earnhardt of historic racing shouts, 'YOU'RE TOTALLY WRONG, LUMBER CAN ONLY BE MEASURED WITH A NASA ENDORSED LASER' costing $250. To prove it he suggests I go to we-build-nasa-endorsed-lasers.com for a completely unbiased article about how lumber can only be measured with their $250 laser.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:44 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

OMG, please stop and step away from the sheep like mentality of having to pay $250 to measure something.

Stop trusting what you're told by pretentious blowhards who have a high school shop class understanding of what they're doing and think for yourselves.

Consider what your doing, you're just measuring toe change as the suspension deflects from it's normal ride height position.

In the same way there are many ways to measure toe, there are also many ways to measure bump steer, all you're doing is measuring toe after a fixed amount of suspension deflection.

Unless you're going to build a complex CAD model, if you're going to shim the steering you're going to be doing it by trial and error so it really doesn't matter what units you use as long as your method is accurate and repeatable.

Just to clarify, this wasn't a disagreement, Mr 'I've won a few club races and therefore know more than Adrian Newey' shouted 'YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG, I'VE WON A FEW CLUB RACES, YOU'RE WRONG'.

A disagreement is when two people have a valid point of view and either opinion is potentially correct. What he said is, ironically, as he used the term, incorrect.

To put it another way, imagine hypothetically the OP had asked how to measure a piece of lumber.

I suggested he use a tape measure as he may already have one and understand how it works.

The Dale Earnhardt of historic racing shouts, 'YOU'RE TOTALLY WRONG, LUMBER CAN ONLY BE MEASURED WITH A NASA ENDORSED LASER' costing $250. To prove it he suggests I go to we-build-nasa-endorsed-lasers.com for a completely unbiased article about how lumber can only be measured with their $250 laser.

"A disagreement is when two people have a valid point of view and either opinion is potentially correct. What he said is, ironically, as he used the term, incorrect."

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. If you say the sun is going to come up tomorrow, and I say it isn't, then we disagree. Even though you are right and I am wrong.

As for the rest of it, well, I am not disagreeing with you. I think you are absolutely right. But you don't have to be such an unpleasant, abrasive, petty, person.

Scott
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T3C3TTZ07
That's my understanding as well but there is always new procedures. The old bumpsteer procedures are described in the following threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...p-steer-s.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ump-steer.html

This bumpsteer procedure is not for the faint of heart but it is precise. If there is an easier, cheaper, better way as some suggest, please post the procedure and pictures similar to the old way (second thread) and the resulting graph of toe change versus vertical movement (first post). This way we Corvette enthusiasts can use either procedure.
The 2nd link the car has been corected to 0.010" bump steer (seen it with my own eyes) and the fixture was made with of the shelf materials and a good dial indicator

Get notified of new replies

To How can I measure bump steer?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The flip side of this all is, if one or both of the steering arms have been bent by any sort of chuckhole, collision, etc., the car will feel more squirrelly than you can imagine. There is quite a bit of adjustment available in the tie rod ends. With a bent steering arm, the static toe could be reset to spec, and the resulting bump steer will scare the $&#@ out of you. Make sure your steering arms aren't bent, first.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Golden
Pro

"A disagreement is when two people have a valid point of view and either opinion is potentially correct. What he said is, ironically, as he used the term, incorrect."

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. If you say the sun is going to come up tomorrow, and I say it isn't, then we disagree. Even though you are right and I am wrong.
No we haven't disagreed, in your scenario, you're wrong. There is no grey area, no room for discussion, just plain wrong. A failure to agree relies on no one person being factually 100% correct. In both your hypothetical scenario and redvetracr's smug ignorant bump steer comments, one party is 100% correct and one 100% incorrect.

As for the rest of it, well, I am not disagreeing with you. I think you are absolutely right. But you don't have to be such an unpleasant, abrasive, petty, person.
Scott
Imagine you're in your local gas station and someone from out of town asks where the best place to eat is.

You politely suggest a well priced diner with a good selection. As you finish giving directions so some loud-mouth rushes up and shouts...

"HE'S COMPLETELY WRONG! THERE'S ONLY ONE PLACE TO EAT, IT'S $250 A HEAD BUT IT'S YOUR ONLY OPTION, TRUST ME I KNOW FOR DEFINITE IT'S THE ONLY PLACE TO GET FOOD IN THIS TOWN, THIS GUY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT".

Now do you not think this is unpleasant, abrasive and petty behaviour?

This is exactly what 'captain I've won a few club races' did.

Now if I choose to point out what a know-nothing fool he is, I feel after his rude, aggressive attack on me, I'm perfectly justified to point out that he's an ego maniac, who has not only been rude to me, but also mislead the OP, and any other forum member reading this thread with his shouted, half baked, inaccurate BS.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Günther-C3
...but my last question is, how do I lower the outer tie rod?
The blocks supplied in C2/C3 bumpsteer kits are by far the easiest way accomplish relocating the outer tie rod ends. FYI, your steering ratio will end up at ~18.9:1 with OEM/R box and typical bumpsteer blocks.

Quick Reply: How can I measure bump steer?