C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip fit rear bearings teardown and analysis

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Slip fit rear bearings teardown and analysis

I've had both rear bearings fitted for slip on with no spacer for about 10 years now. I average 10 k miles a year so i'm guessing i've got over 100 k on this setup. The spindle looked fine. I ran my fingernail across the surface and found no ridge at all. The bearing shows some wear on the inside of the race. I don't know how much of that was due to the clearancing i did to get it to slip on the spindle. I just put it back together as is. I adjusted it for no detectable play and will motor on for another 100 k.

Last edited by turtlevette; 04-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Typically, when you do this, there's no need to slip-fit the outer bearing, just the inner one.

-W (just sayin')
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I can see obvious wear pattern on the inner spindle surface. While that is not excessive at this time, and because you service your bearings regularly, it probably will never be a problem. But if Joe Blow doesnt service that bearing and lets it slip excessively, it will fail, and be dangerous.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
But if Joe Blow doesnt service that bearing and lets it slip excessively, it will fail, and be dangerous.

And as I've said before when the inner is slip fitted and the axle shears off (axle almost always shears at the end of splines) the axle and wheel will come out of the housing breaking the caliper off and most likely rip the fender off and whatever else comes with loosing a wheel. If your going fast lord help you !
If the inner is press fit and the axle shears off the axle and wheel remain.
I view it as a safety concern and would never do it to a customers car but have no problem with a racer or guy that works on his own car using slip fits. JMO.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Data from one vehicle does not alter history. Looks like you don't work the car very hard. Congrats on the bearings holding up well.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Why did you install the slip fit bearing without the bushing ?
It would help hold the bearings to avoid turning of the races.

Otherwise, impressive docu. Specially the amount of bearing usage.

Made in Japan bearings ?

Rgds. Günther
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi

It would help hold the bearings to avoid turning of the races.

Otherwise, impressive docu. Specially the amount of bearing usage.

Made in Japan bearings ?

Rgds. Günther

Another way of looking at it is that 5 out of 6 people survive a round of Russian Roulette.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

As one who has long had slip fits without issue, not that I don't value opinions, but I could more easily give weight to testimony from someone who has actually experienced a failure or loss of wheel as a direct result of having them. Then again, perhaps it's the quality of the spindles themselves which are as much a factor as anything...

Inspecting them is on my do list, while I'm at it. () And, yes, I'll post up if I find anything significant enough to warrant reporting.

TSW

edit - BTW, I've always used the spacers.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 04-16-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WESCH
I missed the fact that he didn't use the spacer , I agree the spacer should be used. I've never seen slip fits installed without a spacer.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I missed the fact that he didn't use the spacer , I agree the spacer should be used. I've never seen slip fits installed without a spacer.
The spacers are not parallel unless you get lucky with one. Gtr1999 has documented this many times. Guess what happens when you put 125 ft pounds of torque against the inner races on that spacer? Yep, they crack. The other thing that causes the inner race to crack is excessive press fit.

I'm a real fan of doing it just like this. The only thing i would do different is sand the spindle to make the fit rather than the inside race. And perhaps make it a very slight press fit rather than slip on.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
The spacers are not parallel unless you get lucky with one. Gtr1999 has documented this many times. Guess what happens when you put 125 ft pounds of torque against the inner races on that spacer? Yep, they crack. The other thing that causes the inner race to crack is excessive press fit.

I'm a real fan of doing it just like this. The only thing i would do different is sand the spindle to make the fit rather than the inside race. And perhaps make it a very slight press fit rather than slip on.
That's how mine were done by Dick G. They are fitted to where you can just get them on by hand.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
As one who has long had slip fits without issue, not that I don't value opinions, but I could more easily give weight to testimony from someone who has actually experienced a failure or loss of wheel as a direct result of having them. Then again, perhaps it's the quality of the spindles themselves which are as much a factor as anything...

Inspecting them is on my do list, while I'm at it. () And, yes, I'll post up if I find anything significant enough to warrant reporting.

TSW

edit - BTW, I've always used the spacers.
Two for starters.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
That's how mine were done by Dick G. They are fitted to where you can just get them on by hand.

I did my right side like that about 28 years ago. When I (later) did the left side I did it the full press method as I didn't have access to a lathe that time. I've put a boatload of track miles on the car since then, and neither side has given me any problems.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by 69427
I did my right side like that about 28 years ago. When I (later) did the left side I did it the full press method as I didn't have access to a lathe that time. I've put a boatload of track miles on the car since then, and neither side has given me any problems.
That's the case here but the left was slip fit and right side is full press fit with spacer. Full press fit side is fine too but if it gives me problems its going to be a bitch to fix if i happen to be far away from the house.

I was thinking i could carry a housing set up with bearings and slip fit spindle with me on long trips and just bolt it in. I guess the caliper bracket is captive so i won't be able to get that off with the press fit so i have to carry one of those with me as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Slip fit rear bearings teardown and analysis

Quick Reply: Slip fit rear bearings teardown and analysis