Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 427 template

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 427 template

Has anyone posted pictures of the 427 template?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Why would you need to see pictures of the template?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by myquickZ06
Has anyone posted pictures of the 427 template?
Did you find a used set as you had suggested looking for recently?
If you buy the new set you thought you were going to they come with it. I did not keep mine after installation so sorry but somebody should be able to help you.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Did you find a used set as you had suggested looking for recently?
If you buy the new set you thought you were going to they come with it. I did not keep mine after installation so sorry but somebody should be able to help you.
My Z is black. I found a Corvette store that sells the "1969 427" in black. The numbers are all seperate, and need to be placed one at a time. I thought that if I had a template, I would be sure to put them on straight. Otherwise I'll have to come up with some other method of putting them on straight.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

My Z is black. I found a Corvette store that sells the "1969 427" in black. The numbers are all seperate, and need to be placed one at a time. I thought that if I had a template, I would be sure to put them on straight. Otherwise I'll have to come up with some other method of putting them on straight.
The one's you have mentioned if they are take offs of the original "1969 427" were used on 67-69 BigBlock Corvettes and you had to drill holes in the hood. I'm assuming these are some type of adhesive backed but appear like the old 67-69 427 emblems? Now this may fool me but IMO the black emblems with thin chrome band will not look stellar on a black car. I've seen the new red GM emblems on black cars and they just rock and look great. And the reason they look like they should have came that way is the adjacent Z06 fender emblem which is what color, yep, it's red. But agreed just my .02. By the way, I have a couple sets of the old 67-69 427 emblems and set them on my VYZ06 to see how they would look compared to the new GM red ones. The old type looked neat but they also looked more like a add on as nothing seemed to coincede whereas the red ones just seemed like a match made in heaven.
If you go for the black ones, great and please post a picture afterwards.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:12 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

You could order the 427 badges for a 1967 Impala SS 427. It's the same 4-2-7 as the Corvette, but one piece. The numbers are connected by tiny bars similar to the new C6 427 badges. The insets in the numbers are red but could be painted if desired. I think these reproductions and the Corvette ones are made by Trimparts and distributed by other venders too, like Year One.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZL-1
You could order the 427 badges for a 1967 Impala SS 427. It's the same 4-2-7 as the Corvette, but one piece. The numbers are connected by tiny bars similar to the new C6 427 badges. The insets in the numbers are red but could be painted if desired. I think these reproductions and the Corvette ones are made by Trimparts and distributed by other venders too, like Year One.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
The one's you have mentioned if they are take offs of the original "1969 427" were used on 67-69 BigBlock Corvettes and you had to drill holes in the hood. I'm assuming these are some type of adhesive backed but appear like the old 67-69 427 emblems? Now this may fool me but IMO the black emblems with thin chrome band will not look stellar on a black car. I've seen the new red GM emblems on black cars and they just rock and look great. And the reason they look like they should have came that way is the adjacent Z06 fender emblem which is what color, yep, it's red. But agreed just my .02. By the way, I have a couple sets of the old 67-69 427 emblems and set them on my VYZ06 to see how they would look compared to the new GM red ones. The old type looked neat but they also looked more like a add on as nothing seemed to coincede whereas the red ones just seemed like a match made in heaven.
If you go for the black ones, great and please post a picture afterwards.
I've seen them on C6's before, and they look pretty cool. I do like the red numbers, for some reason they look more intimidating. I thought I would try the black because it would look a little more dressie, or formal. I can always paint them red.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Streetrod
Pro

Cruise-In XII Veteran

Default 427 letters

MyQuickZ06,

Why not do as I did; buy the hood set made for a 67 427 tri-power Vette? I bought mine from Ecklers or Mid America I can't remember. What I do remember is that they cost like a fraction of what the hood stick on version does. I mounted mine in the grill centered on the left side and many complement me on the look. You are buying a set of 2 of each letter and the hardware. Take red paint and slop it on, then wipe off the edges and you have red letters! You cannot mess it up.

I found that the template idea isn't ideal because the grill circumvents your positioning when you try and insert it behind the cross hatch pattern it has. I finally used large washers painted black positioned how the grill wants you to......it dictates where you position the letters.

The job is fun, harmless, doesn't look garish to me and is easily reversible. Moreover, theft isn't an issue as they bolt on from behind .

Email me if you want me to send you a picture....most think that the car came this way!

SR
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Tricky's Zo6
Melting Slicks

I have my template from my install. Pm me if you want me to mail it to you.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Ok, here we are:

You'll have to get this thing to print to proper scale---the MM ruler on template will help.

Now for the old timey stuff:

I'd suggest cutting off the studs and use emblem tape. Hate to do this to my '08 hood:

And the factory template for the '67 number set:

Hope some of this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To 427 template

Quick Reply: [Z06] 427 template