C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What did you do to your C4 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeville
where did you pick them up? Mine are kinda getting floppy. It’s down the line for replacement but I haven’t gravitated toward and parts vendors yet for my new 92.

I did get a fuse block cover off the ebays, due to arrive next week.
Mine were very floppy also. I found a leather covers on Ebay maybe 5 years ago. Put a stiff piece of plastic in and wrapped them and they have been fine. Dan
The following users liked this post:
AngelDeville (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 07:38 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,151 Likes on 739 Posts

Fixed the horn at the steering column
JohnRR (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 07:53 PM
Bonezz70
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple victories today. I was able to get the locking lugs of my wheels, using the socket kit from Amazon. Worked just as advertised. One thing I figured out right away was, even though the lug size is 19mm, I could tell right off that the 19mm socket was definitely too small to even hammer on to the the locking lug..I used the next size up and world great.
Second victory was changing the ZF trans fluid. The fill plug came out no problem. The challenge was the drain plug.
apparently it had scraped maybe a speed bump or something and the leading edges were all scraped to the inside where the socket goes..I spent a good while trying to file, and pick it out. There was a lot of metal and I broke two files. I thought of hammering in the socket but the plug was too filled in to get any purchase at all. Desperation set in. I grabbed a pipe wrench. It worked! Although the bottom half of the drain plug is now mangled…I got the fluid changed and the plug is back in, doing its job. Whew. Good thing too because I can’t find them anywhere online.
Now to pick up a new grease gun a lube the front end. Clean up those A arms too. I used Amsoil synchromesh in the tranny and after driving a bit, I have to say it feels smoother. It felt fine beforehand though.

Question -is it just me or are our wheels more difficult to set back on the lugs? It seemed to take me forever to get them back on. With my Escalade, and every other car I’ve had it seems like the lugs find their holes immediately.
the more I get in to, and drive it, the more I like this Vette. It’s got just enough power and acceleration, and handles awesome. Very, very cool ride. Just wish it had a little more exhaust tone.
thats all for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bonezz70:
AngelDeville (05-04-2024), puufgone (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:28 PM
MIKEZ51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,296 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Went to our first car show today,had a great time with the wife, didn't win anything but a door prize. Still had alot of fun.

The following 4 users liked this post by MIKEZ51:
AngelDeville (05-04-2024), Bonezz70 (Today), puufgone (05-04-2024), RPO Joe (Today)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:37 PM
BET VETTE
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I went for a spin, had fun and put gas in the tank
The following 2 users liked this post by BET VETTE:
AngelDeville (05-04-2024), MIKEZ51 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:11 PM
AngelDeville
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BET VETTE
I went for a spin, had fun and put gas in the tank

that gas in the tank thing gets expensive…
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonezz70
....Second victory was changing the ZF trans fluid. The fill plug came out no problem. The challenge was the drain plug.
apparently it had scraped maybe a speed bump or something and the leading edges were all scraped to the inside where the socket goes..I spent a good while trying to file, and pick it out. There was a lot of metal and I broke two files. I thought of hammering in the socket but the plug was too filled in to get any purchase at all. Desperation set in. I grabbed a pipe wrench. It worked! Although the bottom half of the drain plug is now mangled…I got the fluid changed and the plug is back in, doing its job. Whew. Good thing too because I can’t find them anywhere online.....
Try looking for a
VW/AUDI/Porsche- part # WHT001937 (specify M17 HEX)
make sure they are the 17mm hex, because they also used that part number for another plug that will not work.

They are available online and at many dealerships.

Good luck.
Bonezz70 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 503 Likes on 400 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bonezz70
Question -is it just me or are our wheels more difficult to set back on the lugs?
Not just you

I always struggle trying to line them up
Bonezz70 (Today)
Old Today, 02:49 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman

Installed my new LT1 cover from Ebay. I like it. Dan
Does anyone know what the LT1 "cover" in the above picture is actually called and where to get one? I have searched several sites on the internet with no luck. I would like to get one for my 40th.Anniversary Corvette. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Today, 03:06 PM
Rush91
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 66 Posts

Dusted mine off.......Car was yellow it had so much pollen on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rush91:
Bonezz70 (Today), MIKEZ51 (Today)
Old Today, 06:05 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by golfboy
Does anyone know what the LT1 "cover" in the above picture is actually called and where to get one? I have searched several sites on the internet with no luck. I would like to get one for my 40th.Anniversary Corvette. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fit LT1 93-97 Corvette Throttle Body Cover Plate Camaro SS Z28 Aluminum BLACK | eBay Different colors for sale. Dan
Old Today, 07:42 PM
Bonezz70
Intermediate

Nice! Thank you
MIKEZ51 (Today)
Old Today, 07:53 PM
Bonezz70
Intermediate

Today’s mission was to change out the serpentine belt. Got that done, plus I deleted the frisbee.
Getting the belt out from underneath the crank pulley seemed pretty difficult at first but being the first time doing it on a c4, just the learning curve. It was out in a few minutes. Now, getting it back in I was expecting a long drawn out process but if the belt is lined up correctly it’ll go right back under the crank. Was easier than expected.
just took it to go get four lugs to replace the lockers I got off. Heading back home on about a one mile straight, I got on it like I normally do. I was noticing it felt as good as ever..definitely had some spice I didn’t feel before. Didn’t think anything of it til now. Maybe getting rid of that frisbee actually makes the slightest difference? I don’t know. I’m not saying anywhere near a night and day difference at all. But there was a little quickness there.
just cleaned the interior with Maguires..leather stuff for the seats. Looking good.
next step, flush the radiator.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bonezz70:
MIKEZ51 (Today), puufgone (Today)
Old Today, 07:56 PM
MIKEZ51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,296 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

^^^^ Just curious, what are you calling the frisbee? Something I don't know?
Old Today, 09:25 PM
Bonezz70
Intermediate

It’s a solid metal disk, about 7-8” diameter. Weighs a few pounds. It was bolted to the front of the water pump pulley. It was to help reduce vibrations when the AC was being used. In hindsight, even the factory said it was not necessary/needed. I’ve read a few articles and anecdotes, watched a few videos on YT about it. Being a few pounds of rotating mass, it’s something a lot of people have taken off. I wasn’t going to bother with yanking it for the sake of it, or whatever gain there might be…minimal at best, and my car is completely stock. I’d prefer to leave it that way. But, it was kind of in the way of the serpentine belt so I took it off. Didn’t think twice about it, or think to see if I noticed any difference…but after I got home from a drive I thought how it did feel just slightly different/better. Marginally anyway.
sorry for the verbose response
Old Today, 09:42 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,151 Likes on 739 Posts

drove 40 miles to a car meet, had a great time and drove home.

Car ran really great, love my 85...

puufgone (Today)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C4 today?