C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

how the hell do you drive this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 05:21 PM
NCC-1701
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

If your not sideways once in a while your driving it wrong...lol
The following 2 users liked this post by NCC-1701:
c6txvette (05-19-2024), Thomasmoto (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:26 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Default Z06

Originally Posted by NCC-1701
If your not sideways once in a while your driving it wrong...lol
That's so funny. I just told a guy yesterday the same thing. He also said that auto-cross and road racing aren't hard on your car. Lol Everybody in the room laughed at him outright. He was a Porsche guy.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 05-17-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:08 PM
MoparZ06
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyo R888Rs.....Totally Different car.

Have fun.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:39 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 707 Likes on 407 Posts

I have owned my C7Z06 since new and it’s a manual. Did RonFellowRoadCourse and tail of the dragon. Never an issue driving it and driving it fast. I agree with some post could be a couple of different reasons.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:46 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 307 Posts

Take's a little more skill to drive these cars effectively vs the ones you've listed as your experience.
This is correct.

You roll into the throttle gradually, not by making sharp inputs in to the throttle.

After a while you can fell the tires even slightly slipping and then you know you are to deep or to quickly in to the throttle. Make very small corrections.

Be careful. Once the *** end goes sideways you can easily lose it. Correct with your hands, not your feet. If you lift on the throttle or hit the brakes the *** end gets even lighter which will ruin your day.

Last edited by Keppler; 05-18-2024 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (05-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 10:02 AM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Check around your area for a citizen's police academy. Some will allow participants to get in a patrol vehicle and spend some time on the "skid pad."

The skid pad is a large area of polished concrete which gets soaked down with sprinklers. It's literally like driving on ice.

You don't even drive very fast, but in a matter of an hour or two you will learn volumes on how to control a powerful car when the wheels come loose.

Police department driving instructors are probably on par with the instructors at the Ron Fellows school. Amazing what those guys can do.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:00 PM
rocketdave
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How old are the tires? The newest C7 Z06's factory installed tires are now at least 5 years old. Tires lose grip with age, and depending on how they're stored or driven.

Additionally, what is the ambient temp? The Pilot Supersport definitely needs some heat in it to be able to stick. It won't act like a drag radial when warm, but you ought to be able to roll into the throttle in first, and mat it in second.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:47 PM
emfollin
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the pleasure of test driving a 2016 Z06 today with long tubes and no cats. It was an interesting car... looks like someone set it up for pure race use. First time I ever drove a C7Z... I fully understand the "how the hell do you drive this thing". The Z has the Amazon Effect to the Stingray... Power... I want it all right now!
Old 05-29-2024, 12:00 PM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JKU007FL
You may have all season tires, my Z06 came from factory with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 (Z07).
After around 4K miles I went All Season and they just won't hook like the Cup 2.
What is the point in putting all seasons on a high performance Z07 equipped car besides the price tag of tires?

Originally Posted by rocketdave
How old are the tires? The newest C7 Z06's factory installed tires are now at least 5 years old. Tires lose grip with age, and depending on how they're stored or driven.

Additionally, what is the ambient temp? The Pilot Supersport definitely needs some heat in it to be able to stick. It won't act like a drag radial when warm, but you ought to be able to roll into the throttle in first, and mat it in second.
This is my experience. My car came with MPSS from the previous owner and they were okay when heated and broke loose in 2nd easily, and chirped 3rd if I was aggressive. I swapped them out at the end of last year and now I have those same experiences but a gear earlier. Break loose 1st easily, chirp second if I'm on it hard, but otherwise the car is really well planted. That said, I'll either swap to 888Rs or Cup 2s for the next set. I don't drive much, but I tend to drive hard, and I'd rather trade the longevity of the MPSS for the traction of the Cup 2s or 888Rs as long as the handling characteristics match up. I like it when I take a turn when my wife isn't paying attention and she ends up in my lap so I don't want to give that up.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:02 PM
emfollin
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What is the point in putting all seasons on a high performance Z07 equipped car besides the price tag of tires?

This is my experience. My car came with MPSS from the previous owner and they were okay when heated and broke loose in 2nd easily, and chirped 3rd if I was aggressive. I swapped them out at the end of last year and now I have those same experiences but a gear earlier. Break loose 1st easily, chirp second if I'm on it hard, but otherwise the car is really well planted. That said, I'll either swap to 888Rs or Cup 2s for the next set. I don't drive much, but I tend to drive hard, and I'd rather trade the longevity of the MPSS for the traction of the Cup 2s or 888Rs as long as the handling characteristics match up. I like it when I take a turn when my wife isn't paying attention and she ends up in my lap so I don't want to give that up.
wouldn’t give that up either.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:38 AM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

When the tires are hot after a couple laps on the track they stick very well. Unfortunately they never get this hot on the street.

The cars are beasts that's for sure.

I usually play in manual on the street so the unexpected downshift doesn't send me sideways into the weeds lol.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:55 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 906 Likes on 586 Posts

My car came with Cup 2s. Traction was marginal unless the tires were thoroughly warmed up, which was difficult to achieve and maintain on the street. I found it easier to keep the MPSS tires in their operating range. To be fair, the Cup 2s I that were on the car had a little less than 3,000 easy miles, but were 4 years old.

I've continued to run the MPSS tires. They seem to strike a good compromise between performance, dry and wet, and only start to lose grip when the temps are below 50* or so. Since we travel a lot in the car, I also choose to keep run-flats on it.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:56 PM
Track
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 196 Posts

+1 with the alignment. When I bought mine it was a handful to drive, and nearly uncontrollable in the rain. I found the toes were out and way too much negative camber. Once corrected it still spins the tires at will, but it's very controllable. If you are smooth with the throttle and don't back off once the tires spin, then the TC will come in and give you great traction. If you get scared and keep punching and letting off, then the TC gets confused and doesn't help at all.
Old Today, 02:48 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 179 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight_rider
Don't get me wrong, I love driving it. I drove s2k, Evo, S4, and some other RWD coupes. I auto-x all my youth, tracked, tail-of-the dragon, raced with original terminators, GTR, concrete block Supras, GTO all before Fast and the Furious.

I just bought the car.

Every time I throttle on this car, I'm spinning. I sometimes go with it and steer to correct, throttle control, etc.. The only way I found out how to go straight without going sideways (which I guess the weight on the driver's side forces it to spin out to the right) is to feather the throttle gradually.

I have a 400 whp S4 AWD with DSG, and I guess I never worry about turning or going straight (it spins but it'll correct itself, and it'll go straight). Never had issues with s2k because it was so underpowered.

Ihave Mich Pilot Super Sport tires - stock variant, brand new. Haven't turned off traction yet - Sport mode or Touring, I'm having issues

So far, Halltec intake, Texas Speed header and cat back, stock exhaust, and tune. Don't look like I have a pulley installed.

Any tips helps - I'm looking into DOT slicks now. I don't want to go do burn-outs all day - if I wanted that, I'd have bought a mustang or something.
I have Mich Pilot Super Sport tires - stock variant, brand new. Haven't turned off traction yet - Sport mode or Touring, I'm having issues

Michelin tires are not that good. If you want to experience speed wobble high in triple digits that would be a GREAT tire to start with. I had a set once, and @ over 145mph the car started doing stupid stuff. Mainly I almost lost it going straight on those tires speed wobble is not desirable at high speeds. I would suggest swap tires first. They are good for commuting and thats about it. They are rated up to 140 MPH if i remember correctly. The problem w them is they have a dual compound and that is what makes them not so good.

At the moment I am on Hankook Ventus V12 tires 18x11 295/35r18 F and 19x13 325/30r19 R and I REALLY like them. I’ve seen and data logged upwards of 160 MPH on them from a 3rd and 4th gear pull. I am guessing Im putting down at least 580whp at the moment.

Full heads cam package car.

Dont know what I am putting down exactly because my driveline broke just before my final tune and dyno day and I am in the middle of a driveline swap at the moment too. So not to inflate numbers I can only guess, but once I get the driveline issue ironed out
this is where I am at. LOL.

I do know I broke my transmission, not quite sure about the diff just yet. But I wouldn’t be surprised to find out its toast too.

I have run R888R’s in the past which I loved for canyons and MT ET STREET SS which were all grip For straight line (brief spin and hook cold. Then dead hook warm 1st gear 40 roll )

I am swapping my drivetrain setup around at the moment and am going to 4.10:1 final drive ratio. Then swapping in a 7 speed out of a 2017 C7 Z06 (BUG) transmission.

Last edited by Dj_or_dj; Today at 03:00 AM.

Quick Reply: how the hell do you drive this thing?