Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C8, new owner, rough beginning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 08:35 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,008 Likes on 4,335 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Hate to say this but GM has a history of NOT fixing known problems.
People seem to forget this when the next new shiny one comes out.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:43 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 346 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchen
many of us have great working DCT's, mine is absolutely perfect, HOWEVER there are hundreds and hundreds of failures and issues and hundreds more that will fail, plus all of us 23 and 24 owners waiting by the mailbox to find out of our transmission is getting replaced for failure to torque. These issues should have been addressed by now, 5 years is a long time, cant believe some attorney hasnt taken this class action
Once again there isn't any reputable data published that identifies the number of failures. A few failures listed on a web site doesn't support the failures vs the number of cars built. So to state hundreds is purely speculation without data. Even if you took a poll on this site I suspect the number would be low in comparison to the number of members. Unfortunately we won't ever see the data from GM unless the failure rate reaches numbers where legal action is happening. Until then enjoy the ride and it's unfortunate for those with failures.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
dohabandit (05-07-2024), RKCRLR (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 10:24 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 516 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
People seem to forget this when the next new shiny one comes out.
..but are quickly reminded.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:34 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 706 Likes on 394 Posts

I love reading these posts about how GM sucks and all these other brands are so much better. I guess I missed the news where all those brands shut down their service departments. ALL brands have issues. Sometimes those are big well-known problems that the manufacturers ignore. Anyone remember Porsche RMS bearings?? Anyone remember the glass Honda transmissions?

To the OP, I am really sorry you are having to deal with this on your brand-new Corvette. I know it is disheartening and frustrating. I am also glad you are keeping things in perspective, with your dad's situation. Keep up that attitude, and you will get through this and in the end it will not seem like nearly as big a deal as it does right now.

The extended warranty for the C8 is extremely affordable. That alone is a good sign that even GM considers these cars very reliable. You have 3 years to drive the car and get a feel for the upkeep. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, I highly recommend extending the warranty, if only for the peace of mind.
The following 4 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
Corvette ED (05-08-2024), dohabandit (05-07-2024), JALLEN4 (05-07-2024), JerryU (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:39 PM
Godsvett
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Gold dog,Do you mean the one you won a while back?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:13 PM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
I’m so buying a Porsche
Buy a Mustang GT. It's exhuast growl is the best. Also, way cheaper.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 05-06-2024, 09:22 PM
PDXC7
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

It’s a shame that you have this problem, and that there isn’t a greater sense of urgency from the service department for making this right.

I’ve been fortunate, My 2016 C7 that I traded for my 2024 3Lt HTC never had a single issue in 25,000 miles. My new C8 is without issues.

These are well made cars according to the JD Powers quality and reliability surveys. But mechanical issues unfortunately happen. I hope it gets sorted so you can start enjoying your C8!
Old 05-06-2024, 11:42 PM
Nick49
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 95 Posts

I truly feel horribly bad for you and all the others that have had issues and had to take their car back to the dealer even once for a simple issue. As a business owner and vehicle tech, I find this unexcusable. I'd rather have a 100% reliable no issue Yugo than a Bugatti Veyron that had to visit the dealer a few times a year. I keep thinking these DC trans issues will go away, I'm now convinced they are part of the C8 experience. It would have been so simple to make a 6 speed manual available and eliminate all the BS I've seen since the first batch of C8's rolled off the assy line.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:50 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 989 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by JwT
Im not an owner yet but I believe GM has never tried to fix the transmission issue with this car. There are other issues as well that just never seem to get addressed. And as long as GM is making money hand over fist producing these cars and not devoting effort for the fix posts like this will continue until people just stop buying their cars
They are trying to fix it. If they did not try, we would still have the version 1 from 2020. There have been several improvements, casting flaws eliminated, oil pan change, change in production facility, design changes.
I'm not up to date on every change, but they are trying. They are making some progress, and improvements.
Is it flawless? Far from it. It is a complex computer controlled machine with a lot of precision moving parts. We expect a lot out of it, and it delivers most of the time. Sometimes it all goes wrong in a big way, and we hear about that.

I'm not trying to defend break downs and new car failures. They could do a lot better. If you want so called "quality" buy a German car. Probably less failures, but at what cost. Been there, done that, got tired of being screwed on the price for everything.
Got really tired of dealers and shops saying if you have to ask how much it costs you probably cannot afford it. They were right. Sold it and bought my first C4 after that and never regretted that.
So called quality at 3X the cost is not worth it. Like I said, been there, done that, and lost more money than any other car I ever owned.

Last edited by C5racecar; 05-07-2024 at 03:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C5racecar:
JALLEN4 (05-07-2024), RKCRLR (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:11 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I think the problem we have here is a large group of novices buying an actual car with supercar performance and don't understand the entire process. You actually have somewhere around 2600 Chevrolet dealers who can work on this car at Chevrolet prices after you bought for a fraction of the cost of any similar cars with this performance.

I have owned a number of Corvettes but also most of the other performance cars like Lotus, Jag, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. I have been the Service Director in a large Chevy deal and have actually owned dealerships representing many of the others. Anyone who is selling the bullshit that somehow the Corvette can't be serviced and the wonders of the other exotics offering superior service are looking through a very small window of experience!

I spent a long career mediating between the customer and the factory and have heard all the stories. While trying to service some of these things, I have often wondered why many of the other brands even had a service department because the customer assured me they never break. And if they did break, the experience of getting it fixed was Heavenly and unbelievably cheap. Factually, they all break, they all have long term problems on every generation built, and all brands suffer catastrophic failures. The next time some "babe in the woods" tries to tell you different...laugh at them!
The following 3 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
Corvette ED (05-08-2024), dohabandit (05-07-2024), mnm4ever (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:17 AM
db4375
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Like the song says, ...."it's only the beginning"..... Who sang that?
Chicago
Old 05-07-2024, 10:44 AM
LOLLO_ITALY
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Stay strong... your dream car will rise again!

...however, too many C8 with problems and in general too many "new cars" (all brands) have too many problems! ...I want to fly back to the '90
Old 05-07-2024, 07:38 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 533 Likes on 360 Posts

This is GM's Halo car how does this happen? What was missed at the end of the assembly line and then the fubar at getting a dealer to help you. GM can get 10,000 praises about the C8 but one instance like this and they are all for naught. Sorry to hear about this it makes me wonder when will something happen to mine.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:59 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 533 Likes on 360 Posts

Waterline Too bad about that "O" ring on the shuttle huh?
Old 05-07-2024, 09:20 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5racecar
They are trying to fix it. If they did not try, we would still have the version 1 from 2020. There have been several improvements, casting flaws eliminated, oil pan change, change in production facility, design changes.
I'm not up to date on every change, but they are trying. They are making some progress, and improvements.
Is it flawless? Far from it. It is a complex computer controlled machine with a lot of precision moving parts. We expect a lot out of it, and it delivers most of the time. Sometimes it all goes wrong in a big way, and we hear about that.

I'm not trying to defend break downs and new car failures. They could do a lot better. If you want so called "quality" buy a German car. Probably less failures, but at what cost. Been there, done that, got tired of being screwed on the price for everything.
Got really tired of dealers and shops saying if you have to ask how much it costs you probably cannot afford it. They were right. Sold it and bought my first C4 after that and never regretted that.
So called quality at 3X the cost is not worth it. Like I said, been there, done that, and lost more money than any other car I ever owned.
Right. German cars never break. Everyone knows that if you want a reliable used car, you should buy an out of warranty German luxury car.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:23 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LOLLO_ITALY
Stay strong... your dream car will rise again!

...however, too many C8 with problems and in general too many "new cars" (all brands) have too many problems! ...I want to fly back to the '90
Again… right!! Cars in the 90s were so reliable. Nothing ever broke back then. Service departments were all going bankrupt. That’s why the car manufacturers all got together and decided to build crappier cars. All these new cars are just junk. The sides of the road are littered with broken down C8s. It’s a miracle anyone even buys them.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:08 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Once again there isn't any reputable data published that identifies the number of failures. A few failures listed on a web site doesn't support the failures vs the number of cars built. So to state hundreds is purely speculation without data. Even if you took a poll on this site I suspect the number would be low in comparison to the number of members. Unfortunately we won't ever see the data from GM unless the failure rate reaches numbers where legal action is happening. Until then enjoy the ride and it's unfortunate for those with failures.
I have sold and delivered 140 new C8 since 2020 I have had three transmission failures and two of those the cars wouldn't start because the transmission didn't think the car was in park? GM told us to replace the transmission. We had one car that wouldn't shift into sixth gear. So there is some data!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Corvette ED:
JALLEN4 (05-08-2024), mefly2 (05-08-2024), RKCRLR (05-08-2024), rrichar2591 (05-08-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To New C8, new owner, rough beginning.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I have sold and delivered 140 new C8 since 2020 I have had three transmission failures and two of those the cars wouldn't start because the transmission didn't think the car was in park? GM told us to replace the transmission. We had one car that wouldn't shift into sixth gear. So there is some data!!!
So we’re saying like 2.5% including the early models that had some changes.
And a new tranny I’m sure may of not been needed?
I find this number real close to the normal trans failures across the board.
Doesn’t seem all that bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary barnes 1098:
Corvette ED (05-09-2024), mnm4ever (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:31 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 264 Posts

you guys should see whats happening with some of the AMG mercedes lately. electrical problems, lets just say. thats the polite term. some people report the car just shuts down, as in stops dead and wont budge.. even though you might be in city traffic or whatever.

grass is always greener.. unless its not. trucks and motorcycles for me are typically japanese but for cars i often buy american.. hell, at least if something goes wrong i can often handle it myself. =P
Old 05-08-2024, 10:54 PM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
Right. German cars never break. Everyone knows that if you want a reliable used car, you should buy an out of warranty German luxury car.
Yup, I was very skeptical when I bought a 2017 Cayman for my wife. It's been a bulletproof reliable. Very reliable double clutch transmission and very long maintenance interval. C8 price was just right.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Quick Reply: New C8, new owner, rough beginning.