C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Three Miles, First Show Autorama

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 11:21 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,294 Likes on 827 Posts

Pat, I almost pulled a U turn after saying goodbye to my buddy at the front entrance, it was near 4, closing time and I thought you might have returned to pack the car up. Could have at least helped push it into the trailer. Sorry that happened with the wires. Makes me think twice about buying the missing shielding for my car. It does look great on an L79 but what a pain!

Again, sorry to miss you and the car did look great. Nice work. Who sprayed the paint? At some point I am going to need a painter, I am hoping to get the body ready and then hand it over to a painter. I have only painted a little and know I am not good at it.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:11 AM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks Pat, for posting the pic. I Enjoyed seeing you and that beautiful Corvette. I hope to see you in Pacific Grove.
Bob
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:53 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,964 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Pat, I almost pulled a U turn after saying goodbye to my buddy at the front entrance, it was near 4, closing time and I thought you might have returned to pack the car up. Could have at least helped push it into the trailer. Sorry that happened with the wires. Makes me think twice about buying the missing shielding for my car. It does look great on an L79 but what a pain!

Again, sorry to miss you and the car did look great. Nice work. Who sprayed the paint? At some point I am going to need a painter, I am hoping to get the body ready and then hand it over to a painter. I have only painted a little and know I am not good at it.
Good Morning Mark,
Yea, that stainless cover is a pain to install. I should have known to remove it prior to trying to start the car. I think I found where the edge cut the pink wire during the install.

As far as the paint and body goes, I did all the prep. I did have it stripped by American Stripping, and then moved forward with priming and blocking. I can't tell you how many hours I have into the fitting, priming, sanding, blocking, taping and ensuring the edges/lines remained intact.

But, knowing I have limited time on the spray gun, I wasn't about to attempt the color and clear on the car. Especially the metallic silver blue color. With the cost of base and clear, I sure didn't want to end up with tiger stripes and have to take it all down again.

I asked around for a qualified painter and a guy by the name of Clint kept coming up. He was the go to guy for all the body shops to come around a "fix" other painter's mistakes.

He came to my house to check my work and actually stated that he was quite surprised that the car was actually very close to paint. He told me that I had to go over the entire car one last time with 500 or 600 grit (actually don't remember), plus using the guide coat one last time.

I took the car down to a spray booth and both Clint and I worked a 15 hour day to complete the job. I have to say that Clint was/is an incredible painter. He used several different guns depending upon the layer/coat and also the color versus the clear.

I'm sure happy with the results!

Pat
Westlotorn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:58 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,964 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by boat196
Thanks Pat, for posting the pic. I Enjoyed seeing you and that beautiful Corvette. I hope to see you in Pacific Grove.
Bob
Man....I want so badly to take a car to PG again, but just not sure where I can keep a car secure. Having our '62 stolen from the B&B back in 2013 has really put a damper on my trust!

We are going and have a place to stay on the ocean just north of Monterey. Unfortunately, there's no garage on the condo. I so want to take the '67 out on that 17 mile drive!

Maybe we can meet up for breakfast or dinner on that week-end.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:03 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 135 Posts

I have the same concern, leaving my car out at night. When it gets closer to August I’ll reach out to you. I’m looking forward to the Pacific Grove Rotary Concours Auto Rally along 17 mile drive.
ptjsk (05-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Three Miles, First Show Autorama