C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 Corvette fuel economy dash data not showing, rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 06:43 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 260 Likes on 216 Posts

From the Prom ID, the bin appears to be based upon ABTB. 87 4+3 MK2. Post a copy of the xdl or a csv export of the log.

You're going to want to use an 8192 baud adx file instead of 160 baud. You can search for adx files (and datastream differences) that I have posted here in the past. Not sure if it will work with your cable (since it needs to be capable of 2-way data) did you use a 2 transistor design?

​​​

Last edited by tequilaboy; 05-18-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:43 PM
SlaughtrHousJak
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll look into finding the right adx file. As for the cable I made, Its just what ive seen and read online and put it togeather. I have no idea how it works' but it was very cheap to make. If it gives me any trouble I'll get a usb to aldl cable. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:53 PM
SlaughtrHousJak
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
From the Prom ID, the bin appears to be based upon ABTB. 87 4+3 MK2. Post a copy of the xdl or a csv export of the log.

You're going to want to use an 8192 baud adx file instead of 160 baud. You can search for adx files (and datastream differences) that I have posted here in the past. Not sure if it will work with your cable (since it needs to be capable of 2-way data) did you use a 2 transistor design?

​​​
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/245v0...=9hkmhvjd&dl=0

I have no idea if this .xdl is usable. (doubtful) Its with the above files and settings when I got things "working". Im new to alll this. Let me know.

Last edited by SlaughtrHousJak; 05-20-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:11 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

I exported your log and uploaded it to datazap. Nothing remarkable, but its a start. 160 baud. 30 seconds of idling at 1,000 rpm which is what happens in ALDL mode at 160 baud (with 10 k resistor).

https://datazap.me/u/tequilaboy/groc...30-31&mark=4-0

If you wish to log the data that is sent to the dash in order to troubleshoot the display issues, you can do so without using the 10 k resistor. I have posted a 160 baud adx file for logging the 5 bytes of dash data.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1601514375

Last edited by tequilaboy; 05-22-2024 at 06:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SlaughtrHousJak (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 01:11 PM
SlaughtrHousJak
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
I exported your log and uploaded it to datazap. Nothing remarkable, but its a start. 160 baud. 30 seconds of idling at 1,000 rpm which is what happens in ALDL mode at 160 baud (with 10 k resistor).

https://datazap.me/u/tequilaboy/groc...30-31&mark=4-0

If you wish to log the data that is sent to the dash in order to troubleshoot the display issues, you can do so without using the 10 k resistor. I have posted a 160 baud adx file for logging the 5 bytes of dash data.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1601514375
I got this xdl this morning. Things seemed to look like they were working better. I haven't tried again yet. For data logging, an xdf, and an adx file are needed? bin also? Thanks again for the help. I'll package all useful stuff from this thread and provide a link for future forum users. Im guessing it'll be year/trans specific, but theres gotta be a few more 87 manuals out there still.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:03 PM
2011KLR
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SlaughtrHousJak
Thanks again for the help. I'll package all useful stuff from this thread and provide a link for future forum users. Im guessing it'll be year/trans specific, but theres gotta be a few more 87 manuals out there still.
You know im watching.... from my '88 4+3 😎
The following users liked this post:
SlaughtrHousJak (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 02:59 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Try recording the dash data again. You should see the accumulated fuel and accumulated distance counters incrementing. Something strange with your last log. It doesn't display properly and seems to be static. I'm not seeing any expected values.

For verification of the 160 baud dash data: The number of cylinders should be zero and the gallons/hr display constant should be 3.8125 gallons/hr. Other values should vary.

Update: Now I get it, the latest log is 8192 baud ALDL data, not 160 baud dash data. The running fuel and running distance counters are incrementing as expected.

You've got a Code 45 - 02 rich and it is running quite rich near the beginning and near the end of the log (first 50 seconds and last 15 seconds or so).

Side note: the MAF signal is unnaturally flat/static at idle and while it is running rich. I suspect that the Hypertech tuning is bogus, or the MAF itself is non-linear and unresponsive at low flow. It is also cold-blooded with the fan running constantly above 160 °F.

I would be inclined to ditch the Hypertech chip and/or try another MAF sensor that is known to be good. Try and read the Hypertech chip with a programmer to see what you really have there and/or consider custom tuning using it, or a reasonable 87 or 88 stock 4+3 bin as a base.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 05-26-2024 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:57 PM
SlaughtrHousJak
Heel & Toe

I'd like to try and figure this out but in the meantime I may need to take it somewhere. It seems awfully close to washing the rings.New oil needs changed already. I'm new to the Cleveland/Akron area If anyone has any suggestions. I'm good with R and R or fixing just about everything so far, but chasing these last gremlins are getting to me I think.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:37 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Lots of crazy **** in this log:

https://datazap.me/u/tequilaboy/roun...-1969-892-1368

Areas of concern
  1. Long runs with constant maf signal . There should always be some variation/signal noise present.
  2. BLM pegged at 108 near the beginning and end of log
  3. Crazy high spark advance relative to tdc in some situations 53 degrees with unexplained inconsistencies between spark relative to tdc and ref pulse. Should be a 6 degree delta (almost always, but knock dependent also). Spark advance relative to reference pulse looks ok with 41.84 degree maximum...Hypercrap.
  4. Code 45 - Rich O2 as already noted
  5. Fan running constantly (may be due to A/C high pressure switch input) Was the A/C on or has the high pressure switch been shorted or unplugged? Gotta verify that my bitmasks are correct in the adx.
Things that look ok:
  1. O2 voltage behavior (cycling rich lean as expected most of the time)
  2. Tps voltage at idle 0.55 volts
  3. IAC position at idle around 40 counts at 800 rpm
Both the Hypertech tune and MAF sensor are suspect. Suggest testing with alternatives for both if possible.

Seems to me that the MAF signal is hanging too high at low airflow (It never drops below 9.52 gm/sec). I think this is causing the richness at low airflow, since the signal is artificially high. This could either be due to a poor quality MAF, or poor MAF tuning in the Hypertech bin.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 05-26-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:47 PM
SlaughtrHousJak
Heel & Toe

O2's look new. (I've had the car for 2 years now.)
TPS I haven't messed with.
IAC is new by me.
MAF is new stock replacement from Summit. It had fixed problems code 33 or 34 and 36 iirc.
Put a cheap turd distributor form amazon in it. Felt like holding brand new garbage in your hand.Amazing. Rebuilt old one and put it back in.
I fixed all vacuum leaks just to find a test pipe inside the cat.
Almost all smog has been removed now. Air pump and EGR are still there. Need to make some block off plates still. All vacuum capped.
Spark knock sensor is new, ESC looks original.

All 6 ujoints, water pump, alt, pads, rotors, intake gaskets, rail and injector seals, valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires. IDK if I'll get another "summer time garage kept no snow" as a daily again. Its been fun working on it. I just want to drive it now. I think this will be the last thing to figure out and I can do so. I'll continue picking away at it and update as I go.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Try another MAF first.

Quick Reply: 87 Corvette fuel economy dash data not showing, rough idle