C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Condition of vented Opti at 84K miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 PM
rremesal
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Condition of vented Opti at 84K miles

Team,

I just cracked open my Opti and was really amazed at its condition. I'm not the original owner, but based on the built up gunk on the outside of the Opti, I'm fairly certain it's the original 84K mile unit. Further, the car had a Carfax report done on it...it listed a water pump replacement shortly after original purchase. No mention of Opti replacement.

96 LT4

Ric

There was a very light coating of oil inside the cap...notice where I ran my finger. Perhaps oil fumes are making their way via the vent inlet at the intake bellow.

I am extremely surprised at how good the contacts look. There is hardly any wear and no gunk buildup.

The center contact is virtually brand new. Zero defect, corrosion or wear. Notice there is no oil inside the Opti.

The rotor has very little wear. Also, unlike other mebers, the screws look brand new and the rotor was firmly in place. Despite heavy oil seepage on the outside of the block, no oil made it's way inside the Opti. I can see under the white cover and the metal is virtually new...no corrosion. Notice the yellowish rubber gasket on the outer diameter. It had a nice tight seal against the cap. This is a testament to the many improvements of the later Optis. They were effective!
Old 05-03-2024, 06:44 AM
rremesal
Racer

May 24, 1995... If I read that right.

The following users liked this post:
IHBD (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:26 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 800 Likes on 574 Posts

That is in unbelievable condition. The rotor and cap look like maybe 1000 miles. Dan
Old 05-03-2024, 07:42 AM
rremesal
Racer

To be honest... It's almost bittersweet. I have a slight chop to my idle. It can be felt in the car as a tiny "stumble". It's visible if I have the car idling with a door open.
I was hoping a tune up to the Opti would resolve that since plugs and wires are new. I guess not!

Then again, it may be a completely normal idle.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:29 PM
lt1-xjs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing looks to be pristine. Even the rotor screws look snug. The consensus over the years has been to remove the screws and put a dab of Loctite on them.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:32 PM
rremesal
Racer

I got the new parts in. Take a look... Some oil did make it's way in. Looks like mainly through the pin drive.
Ric

Oily shield.

Notice how oil was going flung out at the disc by the centrifugal force.

I removed the sensor and ran a paper towel through the slit. I cleaned up everything else before assembly.

Replaced with this. Black cap with brass points. Stocker was aluminum.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 800 Likes on 574 Posts

Did you clean any oil from the optical reader? Dan
Old 05-03-2024, 05:13 PM
rremesal
Racer

Yes...where the 2 screws hold down the sensor. See pics above. However, The rest of the sensor was dry. The sensor itself wasn't event dusty.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:19 AM
rremesal
Racer

Default Update

Team,

I put the new parts back (cap and rotor) in the stock Opti. However, before replacing it, I gave the front of the engine and frame as good a cleaning as I could. The oil/dirt mix was absolutely caked on, especially on the K member.

I did jump the gun a bit and replaced the new water pump back before the damper. The latter is out to Damper Doctor for rebuilding.

Yikes!

I'm hoping I can slide the damper in without removing the water pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Condition of vented Opti at 84K miles

Quick Reply: Condition of vented Opti at 84K miles