Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations in steering wheel running Pirelli scrubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:07 AM
Adrien Marsoni
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vibrations in steering wheel running Pirelli scrubs

Hi, last month at Road Atlanta, with my C6Z, I was running my usual setup, forgestar with scrubs 305 and 315 on 18's
and by the end of second day I had alot off vibrations in the steering wheel, to a point of not feeling comfortable sending it at turn 12
The car checked fine, bearing and all fine, my personal guess is rubber pickup? Or ?
Thank you for shinning on my issue.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:08 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you carefully inspected each tire? Rubber pickup should be obvious but that's a condition that in my experience, only impacts cool-off laps and out laps, since the pickup rubber disperses once the tires are hot. I have made it a habit of thoroughly checking my tires after each session. The last time out I found a left front delaminating which went from looking great to what you see below in one 20 min session. The vibration brought me in early thankfully.

The following users liked this post:
Adrien Marsoni (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 06:19 PM
Adrien Marsoni
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes tires are fine, could be the rubber build up inside the wheel?
Old 05-06-2024, 10:08 PM
Black E
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

You could be spinning the tires on the wheels throwing the balances way off. I’ve had this happen and had to pack up early as I couldn’t get it figured out until I had the wheels and tires checked and re balanced
The following 2 users liked this post by Black E:
Adrien Marsoni (05-07-2024), Poor-sha (Yesterday)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:52 AM
Adrien Marsoni
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for your replies, I will bring the wheels back and have them rebalanced
Old 05-15-2024, 05:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrien Marsoni
Thank you for your replies, I will bring the wheels back and have them rebalanced
Make sure to remove the rubber build up inside the wheels before you have the wheels balanced. After the wheels are balanced make sure to use heat reflecting duct tape to cover the wheel weights (they tend to fall off once the wheels get hot). Also mark your tires at the valve stems so you can tell if your tires are slipping on the rims. Front tires will slip under braking, on my car the rear tires slip under acceleration, other cars may be different in the rear.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Adrien Marsoni (05-15-2024), NoMatter (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 06:13 PM
Adrien Marsoni
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you I will do for sure.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:07 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Also make sure to balance the wheel alone, before the tire is mounted. I have done this on two different sets of wheels and have zero issues. Also when changing tires you just swap the rubber and no need to balance.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't bother balancing scrubs anymore. Between the built-up rubber that scrub tires are delivered with that will immediately wear off, and the fact that the tires move on the rims it's a worthless exercise. I have done as oh4GTO suggests and check rim only balance. We repair or discard any that are significantly out of balance. Even 200TW tires seem to move almost 1/4 rev on the front end.

You would think that as difficult as it is to seat the bead on Pirelli slicks they would not move on rims but they do. I've tried hair spray, and rims with knurled seating areas and nothing works.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:51 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalC5Z
I don't bother balancing scrubs anymore. Between the built-up rubber that scrub tires are delivered with that will immediately wear off, and the fact that the tires move on the rims it's a worthless exercise. I have done as oh4GTO suggests and check rim only balance. We repair or discard any that are significantly out of balance. Even 200TW tires seem to move almost 1/4 rev on the front end.

You would think that as difficult as it is to seat the bead on Pirelli slicks they would not move on rims but they do. I've tried hair spray, and rims with knurled seating areas and nothing works.

Have I ever mounted a set for you? My tires never move unless I have to use trackside service travel racing. Hairspray always works for me but I also have bead sealer which is even stickier.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalC5Z

^^^this. If you have a bad vibration it’s most likely the wheel tire spun on the wheel. Just pop the weights off the wheel. I don’t bother balancing my track wheels/tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibrations in steering wheel running Pirelli scrubs

Quick Reply: Vibrations in steering wheel running Pirelli scrubs