Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Rear shocks leaking ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 08:06 PM
Chris09z
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear shocks leaking ?

Not sure if it's road grime or they're blown out. They are covered in a black film that has collected a bunch of dirt. Pretty thick. Hard to tell if it's just exhaust soot or what. Washed right off my fingers so it's not grease or motor oil but could be shock oil.

Will the mag ride set a code if they are not operating correctly due to low or no fluid?

How hard are factory replacements to come by and change out?
Old 05-06-2024, 09:14 PM
Lights ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris09z
Not sure if it's road grime or they're blown out. They are covered in a black film that has collected a bunch of dirt. Pretty thick. Hard to tell if it's just exhaust soot or what. Washed right off my fingers so it's not grease or motor oil but could be shock oil.

Will the mag ride set a code if they are not operating correctly due to low or no fluid?

I would imagine it would ride like total crap if the shock was blown out in addition to a code. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Mag ride shock availability is tough. Currently front FE5 mag ride shocks are available on RockAuto, $462.79 each. I don't see anything for the rears, at all.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:16 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts

If it is not shiny oil, they are not blown out. Also clean with paper towel and check with magnet. MRC shocks have magnetic fluid, if magnet sticks to it, you will know. These shocks rarely blow out but get every one panicky when they are dirty. And they are very expensive, here I saved you about $1500 just for 2 rear shocks.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:33 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris09z

my shocks were essentially bone dry & no code was set. My springs were shot too. I went with coil overs
Old 05-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

These shocks are known to 'sweat', they're not leaking.
Chevrolet had may complaints re 'leaking', at first were being replaced under warranty.

Not unlike C8 DCTs remidied w/ multiple fluid flushes, GM learned.
Must've cost GM beacoup warranty dollars replacing xmissions.
This before GM figured out WTH was actually happening & a possible solution.

NOT saying C8's DCT can't be faulty, they most certainly can.
Saying a 'procedure' must be followed first before nuking tranny.
Same for 'leaky' mag shocks.
YMMV
Old 05-13-2024, 06:10 AM
Chris09z
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you guys, I'll clean and inspect. Want to do the jim Mero upgrade but not with blown shocks
Old 05-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

All 4 of my mag-ride shocks were TOAST in my 2011 Z07. One of them (rear) collapsed and virtually seized in position. The other 3 could be played like an accordion, there was such little resistance. All 4, garbage. The RR (the one which seized) had the worst signs of leakage. Very disappointing for a car that was just hitting the 10-year mark, and sitting around ~60k mileage. It began to ride/handle so badly, it became scary.

Since GM was so kind as to DISCONTINUE the rears, I ended up with an LG Motorsports G2 coilover setup. Rides & handles great. It's a shame that I couldn't retain the factory mag-ride, as it was nice when it worked.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear shocks leaking ?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Rear shocks leaking ?