Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ZR1 or Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 12:49 AM
zyal8r
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

You can't go wrong with either car, in my opinion. C4s have always been my favorite Corvette. I was around them more growing up than other generations. My dad had four of them ('84 white coupe, '88 dark red convertible, '93 40th convertible, '96 yellow LT4). My first is the LT4 in my signature (not the same one my dad owned). I still have it 23 years later. That said, I fell in love with the mystique of the ZR-1 immediately when they were released. They were way ahead of their time, and so exotic. I'll never forget seeing my first one on the showroom floor, roped off, with a $100k asking price. After having my LT4 for a while, I found I still wanted a ZR-1, BUT, I loved my LT4 too much to replace it with a ZR-1, and truthfully it was an even rarer find than yellow ZR-1s, so, the only way to get a ZR-1 was to add one, and I finally added my ZR-1 in 2021. Both of my C4s are yellow, and way fewer produced in that combination than the GS (don't get me wrong, I love the GS, too...).

If you're looking to get in to a driver ZR-1 for not much money... take a look at the ZR-1 Net Registry for sale forum. A '94 red/red with 180k miles was just posted for 17k. It looks amazing for that kind of mileage, and seller seems to be pretty discerning about his cars. It's a real testament to the durability of the LT5 engine. On the other end of the spectrum, a '94 black/black with 10k miles and a set of Fikses sold for $45k on BaT. There is also a red/red '95 with 22k miles currently running. You can take a look at previous auctions to see sale prices. You can search for particular years as well, and even narrow down LT4s to investigate selling prices. Low-mile of most C4s are bringing a premium generally.

You absolutely can't go wrong with either car. They are both brutally fast for their time, and plenty fast today to get you in trouble. I do agree with the idea that LT4s were underrated. Mine runs hard. The ZR-1 pulls like a freight train above 4k RPM. Either car (as they are a C4) is to me, a very connected driving experience. These cars draw me in, and I find myself reading and thinking about them more than any other generation, even the C8s. I would not give up either of my cars for a C8.

Sorry, I can't pick just one! I'm just here to say I think you'll thoroughly enjoy either car. Maybe buy one, enjoy it for a while, and try out the other one...

Mike

Last edited by zyal8r; 05-11-2024 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BuckeyeRay (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:48 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I like both but:

ZR-1 with beautiful LT5 = the winner.

The GS might stand out more with it's skunk like paint job but the ZR-1 was known as the King of the Hill Corvette for a reason. Ant at the time and until the C8 Z06 came out, the only Vette with a DOHC engine. Oh, and did I mention it is a beautiful engine. :-)
Old 05-11-2024, 09:46 AM
BuckeyeRay
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Eljay
You want unusual then a GS at 1000 examples is not the way to go. Find a Purple or Aqua LT4, less than 100 of each.
Yeah, but that's just unusual paint color lol! Not quite what I mean.
TOM65 L76 96 LT1 (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 02:34 PM
Will69camaro
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRay
Yeah, but that's just unusual paint color lol! Not quite what I mean.
Grand sport is mostly paint as well. Sure lt4 but that’s not wildly different like a zr-1 is. Just my .02.
car addict (05-15-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:15 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Will69camaro
Grand sport is mostly paint as well. Sure lt4 but that’s not wildly different like a zr-1 is. Just my .02.
You mean like how the '63 wasn't that different from other C2's, other than it had a split window

It's not just a paint scheme and LT4 engine; at the end of the day, the GS was the last of the most successful generation of Corvettes, with the C4 reviving interest and sales in the Corvette after very poor sales of the later years of the C3, plagued by emissions regulations and oil crises of the 1970s.

The GS is a farewell swan song for the C4, so while it might just be a paint scheme, it also represents a culture and heritage of one of GM's strongest generations of Corvette, a generation that most likely saved the Corvette from being put into a manufacturing hiatus, something that was talked about at GM if the 1984 C4 didn't sell well.

Not at all detracting from the ZR1, but there is certainly a mystique in owning the last year of a C4, especially if it's a GS, in which fewer than 1000 exist, that will be a very valuable collector's car down the road.

For many, heritage can be just as satisfying in owning a car.

Though as I mentioned earlier, give me a '95 ZR1 or '96 GS, and I wouldn't say no! Though I admit I'd be more likely to drive the ZR1, while I'd make the GS a garage queen because of its rarity, though in some ways the ZR1 has rarity too.

Last edited by bac22; 05-12-2024 at 08:22 PM.
mskc3 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:12 PM
Will69camaro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bac22
You mean like how the '63 wasn't that different from other C2's, other than it had a split window

It's not just a paint scheme and LT4 engine; at the end of the day, the GS was the last of the most successful generation of Corvettes, with the C4 reviving interest and sales in the Corvette after very poor sales of the later years of the C3, plagued by emissions regulations and oil crises of the 1970s.

The GS is a farewell swan song for the C4, so while it might just be a paint scheme, it also represents a culture and heritage of one of GM's strongest generations of Corvette, a generation that most likely saved the Corvette from being put into a manufacturing hiatus, something that was talked about at GM if the 1984 C4 didn't sell well.

Not at all detracting from the ZR1, but there is certainly a mystique in owning the last year of a C4, especially if it's a GS, in which fewer than 1000 exist, that will be a very valuable collector's car down the road.

For many, heritage can be just as satisfying in owning a car.

Though as I mentioned earlier, give me a '95 ZR1 or '96 GS, and I wouldn't say no! Though I admit I'd be more likely to drive the ZR1, while I'd make the GS a garage queen because of its rarity, though in some ways the ZR1 has rarity too.
I think you’re taking what I said the wrong way. I like the GS. But it is just paint. 63 had a different body not just fender flares. It also wasn’t popular at the time, why it’s a one year only. Not a swan song of a generation coming to a close.

I also don’t disagree with the importance of the c4 generation. That’s why I’m in this forum section and own one.

As for rarity. The GS is probably my favorite looking lt4 car, but it’s also the most common. Any other 6spd configuration is more scarce than the GS.

GS values are skyrocketing right now and c4s in general are climbing. I’ll never keep one as an investment and not enjoy driving it regardless if I had lt4 as well as a lt5 car. I’ll drive them all not saving them for the next guy.
BuckeyeRay (05-14-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 11:16 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

I wish I had one of each. If I had to choose, I’d probably go with the ZR-1. It’s been my ultimate boyhood dream and still remains. The look, sound, and performance of the LT5 is unmatched, in my opinion, even by today’s standards. Nothing is cooler than 4 cams and 32 valves. I’ve never owned one, but you can see how parts are still obtainable even though no longer produced just because of the following they have. Though pricey, there’s a few LT5 guru engine guys if you need one.

On the other hand the GS is awesome. Both are going up in value but I feel like the GS market is throttling up and closing the gap quickly. Both cars are a win as far as investment. I love admiral blue and the overall look of the GS. It has a bit of unrefined that you either love or hate with the 315’s on a base body with fender flares. One thing I love about any LT4 car is the story behind the underrated 330 hp. The power that that simple small block makes coupled with it being a good 300 lbs less than the Z, make it’s performance extremely comparable to the king. I envy a GS with red interior, especially.

Both are true favorites of mine, but overall I’d have to go with the one true king.
BuckeyeRay (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:07 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Will69camaro
I think you’re taking what I said the wrong way. I like the GS. But it is just paint. 63 had a different body not just fender flares. It also wasn’t popular at the time, why it’s a one year only. Not a swan song of a generation coming to a close.

I also don’t disagree with the importance of the c4 generation. That’s why I’m in this forum section and own one.

As for rarity. The GS is probably my favorite looking lt4 car, but it’s also the most common. Any other 6spd configuration is more scarce than the GS.

GS values are skyrocketing right now and c4s in general are climbing. I’ll never keep one as an investment and not enjoy driving it regardless if I had lt4 as well as a lt5 car. I’ll drive them all not saving them for the next guy.
The most common LT4 is the CE at 2009 made
Black 1073
GS 1000
Red 976
Green 523
White 504
Yellow 144
Purple 79
Aqua 60

Go to Carlisle and you will see 20+ GS but I bet you will not see a BAM LT4.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:24 PM
Will69camaro
Intermediate

Black 1073
GS 1000
Red 976
Green 523
White 504
Yellow 144
Purple 79
Aqua 60

I was almost right. Forgot about the CE and it was close with black. It does confirm however a zr-1 that’s not black or bright red is less common than a GS.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:41 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 650 Likes on 423 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

lol! I knew that when I asked, I was just looking for potential considerations that I have not looked at.
I reeeeaaally want a B2K w/aero, but probably cannot afford one. I can get a non-aero 88, but don't want to pay the however much Callaway might charge me to make a new aero kit. $10k?.
Try closer to $20K.
Old 05-14-2024, 12:28 PM
BuckeyeRay
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Try closer to $20K.
I totally believe that. And it would be worth it if I had the funds!
Old 05-14-2024, 01:41 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 528 Likes on 318 Posts

Black 1073
GS 1000
Red 976
Green 523
White 504
Yellow 144
Purple 79
Aqua 60

The thing about the GS is there were 1000 made period. Black, Aqua, whatever were made for years and only a super nerd like me could potentially pick out an Aqua LT4, and even then it's near impossible without the hood up.

Same goes for the ZR1's. Most people just look at them like regular Corvettes and won't give you a 2nd look even if it's at a car show.... once again, especially if the hood is down.

The GS is rare and just a killer paint scheme. The LT4 is a GREAT engine, the torque down low and the ability to spin it high is a combo that is super rare in any car.

I do like both the LT4/GS and the Z. I could have had either and chose the GS.

Another thing to note is if you are in the GS market from a budget standpoint you will be in the 1990-1992 Z market with cars that have similar miles/condition/etc. They made a lot of progress in the later C4 years and to be blunt, the GS is going to be a better car to actually drive. They added ASR (traction control) in 93, and had suspension improvements every year to make the cars actually behave better. The seats are also more comfortable in the 94+ cars to most people. So like what's already been said. Drive them and see what matters to you most. I really don't see any of them going down in value at all and my guess is they will appreciate at about the same rate down the road.
BuckeyeRay (05-17-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:54 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,326 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
They added ASR (traction control) in 93
You are the first person I have seen that would say ASR was an improvement.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:37 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,206 Likes on 680 Posts

Tuff decision, LT5 vs LT4, maintenance would be my concern…

Enjoy the hunt!

https://www.classic.com/m/chevrolet/corvette/year-1995

https://www.classic.com/m/chevrolet/corvette/year-1996
Old 05-14-2024, 03:21 PM
Will69camaro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
You are the first person I have seen that would say ASR was an improvement.
Agreed, and ASR started in 92 so still falls in the "cheaper older" ZR-1 category.

Not sure what improvements were made, as i haven't been in many, but i have been told the 95-6 cars were less creaky/rattly. Mine doesn't seem too bad, definitely not as bad as i was expecting for a 100k mi 90s GM vehicle.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:16 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 42 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Just sold my C6. My son is buying his own car, so I'll get my daily driver back. I was looking for another C6 or a C7 when I realized that I can finally indulge a little and get myself a purely fun Vette. I love the GS, and I love the ZR1. I REALLY love a B2K with aero, but I'm not rich nor did I hit the lotto. So, sell me: ZR1 or GS and why (please pretend that C5-C7 is completely off the table)?

I own both.... and I have a B2K aerobody I recommend all of them!!

David
BuckeyeRay (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: ZR1 or Grand Sport?