C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP/Performance upgrades 76 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 11:29 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,786 Likes on 2,883 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I get that I guess. But the LS swap just isn't for everyone. I run my original numbers matching block.
And it goes really, really well.
Their is no reason whatsoever to just swap out a perfectly good block when all one is reaching for is 400 HP. And all the accessories fit. And the exhaust fits. And replacement parts fit.
And, some of us truly want that old car experience. Perhaps with just a bit more push!
And when I open my hood. It looks period correct.
For some, that means something.
The following users liked this post:
Newbomb2469 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 06:28 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,581 Likes on 4,071 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I go to a lot of car shows to enjoy the old motors. When I see an LS swap it's like " hey , an old car with a new motor." So what. I still don't see an advantage other than a lot of wires sensors and computers to break...big deal. ITS a motor with good flowing heads and a roller cam. My 69 big block has the better flowing heads and if I wanted to spend money I don't have to I would put in a roller cam. Don't need it right now. I can't understand why people keep pushing ls swaps. No need. It's like the crap Sniper efi. Lots of hype.
Newbomb2469 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:31 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 879 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I go to a lot of car shows to enjoy the old motors. When I see an LS swap it's like " hey , an old car with a new motor." So what. I still don't see an advantage other than a lot of wires sensors and computers to break...big deal. ITS a motor with good flowing heads and a roller cam. My 69 big block has the better flowing heads and if I wanted to spend money I don't have to I would put in a roller cam. Don't need it right now. I can't understand why people keep pushing ls swaps. No need. It's like the crap Sniper efi. Lots of hype.
It helps to date the build... For a while the old TPI motors were the rage to swap in... Then Corvette LS motors in everything. I respect both. Not everyone uses these cars the same way. Some drive them more and like the modern comforts and advancements more than the period correct look under the hood. I respect both myself, I like to see how mods were done and how things fit when walking around at car shows. After a while the stock cars become less interesting honestly. I mean a person can only look at so many thousand stock c3 smogger engine compartments before the "meh" mentality sets in... its really not much different than buying an old classic with a straight 6 under the hood and swapping in a v8.... they both are cool in thier own rights but the power from the v8 just makes the car more enjoyable. Its harder to get that kind of LS power and reliability from a gen 1 v8. I kinda like the old school hot rod look myself so I get a lot of dirty looks from stocker corvette guys at cruise nights, even after I explain it was a parts car I built to my tastes.

To each his or her own... Think about it this way, if everyone kept things original the value and interest on these cars would never climb as there would be so many original examples still floating around.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-18-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Newbomb2469 (05-19-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:45 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,394 Posts

They all look the same with the hood closed.

There's a tale on the "What did you do to your C3 Today?" thread that perfectly explains why I don't go to shows.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607818937

If I find myself at a Cars and Coffee for 30 minutes, I'm only looking at LS swaps or other restomods. But I'd rather just drive the car...

Speaking of which, hopefully the OP is doing just that.

EDIT: They may look the same, but they can sound different. This was a DIY project, but soon there will be C8 Z06s on Copart. Perfect for a flat-plane LT swap.

Last edited by Bikespace; 05-18-2024 at 09:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bikespace:
Newbomb2469 (05-19-2024), Rescue Rogers (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 10:22 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,581 Likes on 4,071 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I drove 2 hours to get to a show in a tiny town of Windsor mass to support the local volunteer fire dept and support their cause of updating the town ballfield. I support that. Love it actually.

One of the other options was the local scam of the giant season opener that gets close to a thousand cars, atleast they claim, at $30 a head. $100 bucks to be a display car (last years prices). He donates about $3000 to $5000 and pockets a good chunk of the rest.....always has a new hotrod and building huge garages somehow....
Bikespace (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,394 Posts

A 2 hour drive in Western Mass sounds nice, and if this gives you an excuse to drive your car, great!

I'd lead with that part next time, and skip the show.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:21 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 923 Likes on 800 Posts

Very good points.
I still think the TPI is one of the best looking engines.
The fellow asking is talking about a 1976 lump. Can't really hurt it. I would LS it if it was mine (and I really liked the car). What the heck? It would be an all around better car and a fun project.

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
It helps to date the build... For a while the old TPI motors were the rage to swap in... Then Corvette LS motors in everything. I respect both. Not everyone uses these cars the same way. Some drive them more and like the modern comforts and advancements more than the period correct look under the hood. I respect both myself, I like to see how mods were done and how things fit when walking around at car shows. After a while the stock cars become less interesting honestly. I mean a person can only look at so many thousand stock c3 smogger engine compartments before the "meh" mentality sets in... its really not much different than buying an old classic with a straight 6 under the hood and swapping in a v8.... they both are cool in thier own rights but the power from the v8 just makes the car more enjoyable. Its harder to get that kind of LS power and reliability from a gen 1 v8. I kinda like the old school hot rod look myself so I get a lot of dirty looks from stocker corvette guys at cruise nights, even after I explain it was a parts car I built to my tastes.

To each his or her own... Think about it this way, if everyone kept things original the value and interest on these cars would never climb as there would be so many original examples still floating around.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:05 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,786 Likes on 2,883 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

ABSOLUTELY, we all have our own tastes and budgets for that matter.
Completely stock smog motors don't do it for me either. A nicely done period correct hotted up and prettied up original style engine is more my taste.
That's why I do enjoy the shows and car's and coffee events. People do come up with different solutions. Sometimes I get ideas. Lots of times it's just fun looking. There is often more than one answer. An LS swap? Don't know. My old gen 1 has been very reliable for many years. My power steering, not so much. LOL.

Quick Reply: HP/Performance upgrades 76 Stingray