Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How to repair plastic trim damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:40 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 130 Posts
Default How to repair plastic trim damage

After a brief stop in a supermarket parking lot, I notice some light scratches where the rear bumper meets the body on my 2013 GS. I color sanded the scratches with 2500, took out the Porter Cable, M105 on a Shur Buff Pad, Menzerna 3500 on a white 3" pad and the scratches were gone. A quick coat of wax and I felt really good about the repair.

I work in a fairly dark garage and working on a dark bodied car...when I repaired the scratches...I was working kind of behind the car. Nothing ahead of the fender scratches seem to need attention.
Today I wanted to inspect the repair and I saw the damage to the rear fender molding. Looks like it might have been hit with a shopping car. What is the best way to go about this repair. I'm comfortable with minor body repairs but never did a plastic trim repair. I'm thinking plastic epoxy filler and satin black plastic paint. I need product recommendations to get the right stuff and any tips to make a good repair are appreciated.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:09 PM
C6_Prodigy
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 222 Posts

Being in the same predicament as you and unable to find a replacement part, I've done quite a bit of online research trying to find a product that looks good and will last. This is where I landed:

Amazon Amazon

I will eventually sand all the trim pieces smooth and respray them with SEM 39143.

That said, I don't have first-hand experience with this yet so I'm interested to see what others say.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:38 AM
GS-2013
Racer

Originally Posted by C6_Prodigy
Being in the same predicament as you and unable to find a replacement part, I've done quite a bit of online research trying to find a product that looks good and will last. This is where I landed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073T7FQ23

I will eventually sand all the trim pieces smooth and respray them with SEM 39143.

That said, I don't have first-hand experience with this yet so I'm interested to see what others say.
I'm more concerned about finding the right epoxy filler to use and yes SEM makes excellent spray paint. I want to make the small repair, feather it out and blend the spray paint. I was hoping to find answers here. I just joined and posted in autobody101.com in the Fiberglass and Plastics forum. Looks like an excellent site, you may pick up some ideas there.
The following users liked this post:
C6_Prodigy (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 10:50 AM
C6_Prodigy
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-2013
I'm more concerned about finding the right epoxy filler to use and yes SEM makes excellent spray paint. I want to make the small repair, feather it out and blend the spray paint. I was hoping to find answers here. I just joined and posted in autobody101.com in the Fiberglass and Plastics forum. Looks like an excellent site, you may pick up some ideas there.
Keep me/us posted on what you end up doing. I wasn't thinking of using any filler, just sanding them smooth.
GS-2013 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:05 AM
GS-2013
Racer

Mine will need a the smallest amount of filler, I'll sand and feather it out. Would rather not paint the whole molding.

If it was just a light scratch, I'd sand it out and spray the entire part.
TCW (05-24-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To How to repair plastic trim damage

Quick Reply: How to repair plastic trim damage