Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need advice for selling my 87

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 12:59 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts

When I have sold vehicles in the past we did the $$$$ transaction right at my bank. They verified that the funds were good before I would sign over the title. Lots of great information given in the other posts. A test ride can be iffy and I like the idea of the potential buyer in the passenger seat. Good luck and be safe overseas.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:38 AM
mskc3
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

When selling....I would post in FaceBook Marketplace and Craigslist

There's a lot of jokers on both, but they can be weeded out by asking them plenty of questions PRIOR to a meeting, and PRIOR to giving them a meeting place.....Any red flags, just tell them that you're considering not selling, but you'll let them know if you change your mind etc..

When you do set up an an appointment and they actually show up, feel them out...It's up to you if they drive it, or if you just give them a ride, both, or you decide on neither......You can feel them out pretty well by this stage of the game...If it's a 22 year old young man that shows up in a beat-up fox body Mustang that's one thing, If it's a 45-year-old adult male that shows up in a minivan, and you have already had intelligent conversations with him well that's another...

I would ONLY accept large deposits to hold until a specific date...If they can give you a $1000. then you'll hold it for 1 week....If it doesn't work out give them their cash back no hard feelings either way.

You can decide to do the CASH transaction wherever you are COMFORTABLE....whether that be at your bank or at your house with several friends/family//witnesses to the transaction.....Personally, I would insist on CASH.

Give them the bill of sale/title/any documentatio.....they tow/drive/attach THEIR plates or whatever.

The following users liked this post:
Randy Batterydown (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:11 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 131 Posts

Years ago one of the local police departments offered sellers the use of their lobby to complete a transaction, by appointment during regular business hours.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:44 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts

Soooo many things I don't agree with.

Originally Posted by mskc3
When selling....I would NOT post in FaceBook Marketplace and Craigslist My reason in post #15

There's a lot of jokers on both, but they can be weeded out by asking them plenty of questions PRIOR to a meeting, and PRIOR to giving them a meeting place.....Any red flags, just tell them that you're considering not selling, but you'll let them know if you change your mind etc.. Why would you want to turn yourself into a liar? If you say that, then it would mean you should take down your add for the present. Just tell them to FO if they sound shady.

When you do set up an an appointment and they actually show up, feel them out...It's up to you if they drive it, or if you just give them a ride, both, or you decide on neither......You can feel them out pretty well by this stage of the game...If it's a 22 year old young man that shows up in a beat-up fox body Mustang that's one thing, If it's a 45-year. I got no time for-old adult male that shows up in a minivan, and you have already had intelligent conversations with him well that's another... No reason to discriminate against the kid because he is 22. I personally would possibly chose him OVER the 45 YO. The 22 YO has had less time to polish his deception skills. Criminals don't have age limits.

I would ONLY accept large deposits to hold until a specific date...If they can give you a $1000. then you'll hold it for 1 week....If it doesn't work out give them their cash back no hard feelings either way. No. What would be the purpose of taking a deposit if you are just going to give it back? The reason for a deposit is the buyer has committed. You now have to tell others it is "sold". These cars have limited buyers now. Why would you want to chance losing a sale to a serious buyer, then have the original guy show up and say "I've changed my mind"? Deposits are commitments to allow other things like financing, liens checks etc. to take place.

You can decide to do the CASH transaction wherever you are COMFORTABLE....whether that be at your bank or at your house with several friends/family//witnesses to the transaction.....Personally, I would insist on CASH. This used to be gospel but not anymore. While I don't disagree with this method it is still not foolproof. Could be stolen and marked bills. To the extreme, even counterfeit. Foolproof is to go with them to THEIR bank and watch as a bank draft is taken out in YOUR name.

Give them the bill of sale/title/any documentatio.....they tow/drive/attach THEIR plates or whatever.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:36 PM
mskc3
Instructor

MY methods of doing business may not work for you,, but they work for ME, and I have made more than a few transactions in purchasing/selling cars in the past few years.....

There's more than one way to purchase and sell cars, you have yours and I have MINE.

Have a Great Day!!!
kael (05-15-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 03:02 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mskc3
MY methods of doing business may not work for you,, but they work for ME, and I have made more than a few transactions in purchasing/selling cars in the past few years.....

There's more than one way to purchase and sell cars, you have yours and I have MINE.

Have a Great Day!!!
Dude! Watch your blood pressure. You're getting to the age where you have to look after these things. You do whatever makes you happy. I am simply supplying information. "Thanks in advance for any help you can provide". This a quote from the OP and I am obliging so he can make an informed decision. If that wads your panties, then that sounds like a "you thing" not a "me thing".
Old 05-12-2024, 05:55 PM
mskc3
Instructor

I's amazing how some people become so defensive when I merely tell someone how I buy and sell my cars, but hey whatever.....Have A great Evening!!!
Old 05-15-2024, 10:31 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by arbee
Dude! Watch your blood pressure. You're getting to the age where you have to look after these things. You do whatever makes you happy. I am simply supplying information.
Think you're talking to yourself in the mirror, Mr. Rant.

Sad, but flippin' FB Marketplace (spit!) has too many folks using it to buy and sell, be a shame to simply ignore. That said, all kinds of crap on there too. Do as you wish.

Now, trading in a car to a used car dealer, you just got robbed.
I got lucky, ONE time, they offered me money for my used without me asking first and I was more than happy to let them dispose of that piece of junk instead of spending any more time on that POS. God damn Chevy Aveo! Forever my what-the-hell-was-I-thinking purchases.
mskc3 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:11 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

The crazy thing is, I've heard of supposedly certified bank checks being forged, especially if the transaction is high. I haven't sold a car in a while, but I've heard it's always good to meet at the bank and have the bank certify and cash the check before handing over the title. In my state, the back side of the title has sections you can fill out once a car is sold to transfer the title.

Also, to weed out those who I felt were BS tire kicker scammers, I tell them it's easiest to meet at the police station. Then they can test drive the car, as getting to my house is a pain (which is a bit true) ...it's amazing how radio silence happens at that point, LOL. Those who really had an interest in buying the car had no problem with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by bac22:
mskc3 (05-16-2024), slammin (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:55 PM
Hit Man X
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

How about considering Bring A Trailer or Cars & Bids? Two pals have sold vehicles there without issue.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:55 AM
classic2024
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long have you posted on Dyler? Any views or potential buyers?

Quick Reply: Need advice for selling my 87