Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 05:43 PM
C6_Prodigy
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Track Insurance

Never bothered with it when doing motorcycle track days, but I can afford to lose my bike. I cannot afford to lose my Corvette.

The best quote I got for a single track day is right at $300 with Lockton. Seems high for a $35000 car with a 10% deductible.

I tried several others, but I'm wondering what you guys are using and what your experience is.

The event I'm doing is called "TrackCross", which is basically autocross on a track... it's a timed event on a track without cones, and I know timed events are generally a different category of track day insurance.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:51 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 482 Likes on 284 Posts

What everybody is using for track Insurance is the wrong question.
The right question and the most important is who among us has had a claim and how was it handled.
I've been using Lockton for years but had my first and only claim after hitting the tire wall at HPDE on Summit Point Raceway in 2016.
My C7 was OK to drive the almost 300 miles back home but the final repair bill was over $20,000. Throughout the experience, Lockton was the best experience I've ever had with any insurer I've ever dealt with in more than 40 years .
They responded promptly, allowed me to choose any repair facility I wanted, immediately accepted any additional repairs beyond the initial estimate as we got deeper into the actual tear down. And settled all the claims to my satisfaction in a very timely manner.
Since then I've become aware of a number of other companies offering track insurance, some for lower rates than Lockton, But I stay with them because i know they will do right by me.
The following 4 users liked this post by blueray16:
C6_Prodigy (05-18-2024), Chukman (05-20-2024), G_Loc (05-20-2024), Shortcutsleeping (05-21-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:41 PM
C6_Prodigy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blueray16
What everybody is using for track Insurance is the wrong question.
The right question and the most important is who among us has had a claim and how was it handled.
I've been using Lockton for years but had my first and only claim after hitting the tire wall at HPDE on Summit Point Raceway in 2016.
My C7 was OK to drive the almost 300 miles back home but the final repair bill was over $20,000. Throughout the experience, Lockton was the best experience I've ever had with any insurer I've ever dealt with in more than 40 years .
They responded promptly, allowed me to choose any repair facility I wanted, immediately accepted any additional repairs beyond the initial estimate as we got deeper into the actual tear down. And settled all the claims to my satisfaction in a very timely manner.
Since then I've become aware of a number of other companies offering track insurance, some for lower rates than Lockton, But I stay with them because i know they will do right by me.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Cheaper insurance doesn't save you in the long run if they are a pain to deal with. Hopefully Lockton in 2024 is as good as they were to you in 2016.

I think I'm going to pony up for the Lockton insurance and enjoy the event without worrying as much. Today I watched some videos of the track and there's a lot of concrete barriers close to the track, something I wasn't expecting having only been to Summit Point where there's generally a lot of run off and room for error. Seeing the barriers so close and little runoff made me reconsider the insurance.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:59 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 180 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I used RLI at my most recent track day. Approximately $320 for nearly $50k of coverage with 10% deductible. I haven’t had a claim, so no info for you there. Whoever you go with, make sure that they also cover track damage and hazmat cleanup. RLI does.

https://www.rlicorp.com/track-day
The following users liked this post:
C6_Prodigy (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 09:28 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Prodigy
Never bothered with it when doing motorcycle track days, but I can afford to lose my bike. I cannot afford to lose my Corvette.

The best quote I got for a single track day is right at $300 with Lockton. Seems high for a $35000 car with a 10% deductible.

I tried several others, but I'm wondering what you guys are using and what your experience is.

The event I'm doing is called "TrackCross", which is basically autocross on a track... it's a timed event on a track without cones, and I know timed events are generally a different category of track day insurance.
around 1% of value is what i normally see at timed events. I also had a good experience with lockton. I’ve not made a claim with hagerty.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:41 AM
schaumi
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 54 Posts

Today I watched some videos of the track and there's a lot of concrete barriers close to the track, something I wasn't expecting having only been to Summit Point where there's generally a lot of run off and room for error. Seeing the barriers so close and little runoff made me reconsider the insurance.
What’s the new to you track?

I’ve been using Hagerty for my HPDE insurance but may shop around next time. Never had to make a claim though.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:43 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts

FWIW there are a lot of clubs out there with a discounted rate too. Hagerty partners with scca for example. They have a pretty big discount at TNA. Your organizer sometimes will have a deal one near me regularly has a lockton link in their sign up info.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:50 PM
C6_Prodigy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schaumi
What’s the new to you track?

I’ve been using Hagerty for my HPDE insurance but may shop around next time. Never had to make a claim though.
Dominion Raceway is the new to me track. I'm planning to go with Lockton at this point, appreciate the input.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:49 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

For anyone who does multiple track weekends per year you need to check out:

https://www.opentrack.com

You can buy an annual policy that will save you a ton of money versus buying individual weekend coverage. I used them on both my ‘15 Z06 and ‘18 AMG GTR. The prices were very reasonable and they have a great reputation should you have an ‘off’.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (05-23-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 12:00 PM
schaumi
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 54 Posts

Dominion Raceway is the new to me track. I'm planning to go with Lockton at this point, appreciate the input.
Cool. I’ve never been there either. Might have to check it out sometime. I’m north of Baltimore, so the thought of driving thru DC after a track day seems terrible.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Insurance

Quick Reply: Track Insurance