Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plates….I just have to know!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 06:19 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,317 Likes on 2,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetness34
Yes, I believe what he is saying is the actual chances of you getting your car stolen are slim to none if you take normal precautions (aka don't leave your doors unlocked with your keys in the car). The scenario you are making up in your head is like a movie plot and isn't something someone would actually do in real life. I mean a thief could just drive around to any nice part of town and have thousands of expensive houses at their disposal. No need for them to go through the hassle of trying to track down one person via their license plate.

Wait what? The scenario i'm making up?

This is actually happening NOW. Dodge owners are watching thieves in their house camera take a pic of the VIN, then coming back with a FOB. This isn't made up.

The whole point was that if a thief gets a fob, which is easy these days, your car is gone without no "gone in 60 seconds" type of scenario. No breaking a window or anything like that. They have a fob. They're essentially you as the owner, driving the car away and no one blinks an eye because it was done so natural.

The issue is that since corvette owners are very selective when they drive, lowers the chances of it actually being stolen, which is what the other guy is probably eluding to.

The other issue is that if said corvette owner slips up ONCE, the car is gone. All it takes is a thief, with his own fob, to either follow you to a public spot, or just wait for you to park your car outside the house just one time.

Do you, or anyone know the stats for corvettes stolen?

That would make it easier to understand. Corvettes stolen vs average mileage driven by a corvette owner.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:24 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,157 Posts

I don't have those numbers but there are thousands of C5, 6, 7 & 8 Corvette owners on this site and the number members reporting their cars being stolen is almost non-existent.

The following users liked this post:
sshallen (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:50 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

I don't have those numbers but there are thousands of C5, 6, 7 & 8 Corvette owners on this site and the number members reporting their cars being stolen is almost non-existent.
We are using facts in an attempt to change the opinion of people who did not use facts to form their opinion. Pointless.

1,000 stolen due to unlocked/keys in car. ZERO news coverage. ONE stolen by a computer genius, wall to wall media coverage. With lazy logic, it's easy to think that's "common".

Thinking up "Dark tint, I'll break the window to look for Rolex" takes two seconds, and becomes the narrative if you don't research to find out how incredibly rare it is.

Generally, some seek truth through research and skeptical critical thinking. Some seek to reinforce their world view by amplifying rare edge cases or straight up fever dream imagination. Most pick a thought model early in life and never change.

The "They gonna check the VIN on my rare '21 LT1 with carbon fiber mirror cap veneers, run it through a CRAY, and come back with a fob emulator on their iPad" fantasy appeals to the "I'm living in a movie" thought pattern. The "Most cars are stolen due to owner negligence" reality is just a straight up bummer easily disregarded.

Do you want to be the person who thinks their locked vehicle is almost completely safe, or the one who thinks the gang from Ocean's 11 is conniving to steal their "One of two in this color built in the final week of 2020"?

Last edited by sshallen; 05-21-2024 at 10:56 PM.
Sweetness34 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 07:09 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

So let's add all those owners registered on this site to EVERY corvette produced in those generations.

Not every corvette owner is on a forum.

My whole point is that it's very easy to get their car stolen, PERIOD. You guys are blinding these facts and saying it will never happen because corvettes are generally not stolen.

Did you know the camaro is the new hellcat now? Theft for camaros have gone up while the usual mopar stuff stays high.

I am making the case with how easy it is to steal a MODERN DAY car, corvettes can be next on the list for a specialized target.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:19 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 236 Posts

Two words, KIA Hyundai.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Fact is, if someone wants your car, they WILL take it.

Doesn't matter what the stats say. Wrong place wrong time. Bad person casually just goes down your neighborhood and notices your car, that's his next target etc.

With signal amplifiers, thieves working at dealerships and simple devices used to manipulate signals to get in your car, makes theft much easier these days.

Let's not be naive. If a thief wants your car he will get it. All a matter of how much effort he wants to put or how desperate he wants the car.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:46 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Keep saying it, eventually you’ll convince someone.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:27 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Not trying to convince, only trying to inform.

But stubborn people will be stubborn i suppose. I'll be around when something happens so i can post, "i told you so."
Old 05-22-2024, 09:34 AM
Sweetness34
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
But stubborn people will be stubborn i suppose.
I think you should reread what you wrote and think about it for a bit.

At the end of the day the chances are extremely low that anyone is going to track you down via your license plate and VIN and come steal your car. You've been watching too many movies and/or watching/listening/reading too much scare tactic media sources.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sweetness34:
Maxie2U (05-22-2024), sshallen (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:41 AM
EvanD
Drifting

I'm good with that but saying it, what, ten times in a thread gets to be a bit much.

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Not trying to convince, only trying to inform.

But stubborn people will be stubborn i suppose. I'll be around when something happens so i can post, "i told you so."
Old 05-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,083 Likes on 598 Posts

I agree with MaxieU that if somebody wants to find out any info about me or my family it's almost imposable to prevent that in today's world. So ever since I've owned a Corvette and have been a member on this forum I've shown the license plates of each and every one of them.
My 99 Pewter Coupe....LUV R99

My 2006 Monterey Red Coupe... 20006

My 2014 Arctic White Stingray coupe: LYTNG

And finally my 2021 Silver Flare C8 Stingray: SXEC8

Sweetness34 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:40 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by EvanD
I'm good with that but saying it, what, ten times in a thread gets to be a bit much.

So this will be 11 times.

Watch your cars people! They're coming for ya!
Old 05-22-2024, 03:09 PM
/Bear/
Drifting

Received 1,579 Likes on 778 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

I was at MacMulkin today and mentioned to an employee that if someone has your VIN, they could go to a dealership and get a fob that will start the car. He said that's no longer true. I didn't question him (had other things on my mind besides this thread), but it sounded like GM (or at least MM) has put a new procedure in place to prevent people from getting a fob they shouldn't have.

Sweetness34 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 10:43 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by /Bear/
I was at MacMulkin today and mentioned to an employee that if someone has your VIN, they could go to a dealership and get a fob that will start the car. He said that's no longer true. I didn't question him (had other things on my mind besides this thread), but it sounded like GM (or at least MM) has put a new procedure in place to prevent people from getting a fob they shouldn't have.
Hasn't a dealer always had to pair the fob to the car in person? Like other brands?
Old 05-23-2024, 07:02 AM
EvanD
Drifting

My understanding from posts here is that a dealer requires the person to have the two original fobs to get a spare. But, like many things, it may just be one or two people's experience. I don't know if GM has a policy for the dealers to follow and then what about non-dealers?
Old 05-23-2024, 10:35 AM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanD
My understanding from posts here is that a dealer requires the person to have the two original fobs to get a spare.
It is because the process of programming present fobs decouples prior fobs. So any fobs not with you are decoupled, that's why they want you have all (not necessarily two) when you add another (not necessarily the third).

I hate to post facts in an emotionally hallucinatory thread, but here's the drill.

Program C8 Fobs

When we destroy the dream that some sinister characters are scanning C8 vins using drone cameras and uploading them via Starlink for fob programming, we destroy a little bit of how special the person has convinced themselves they and their vehicle are.
finsfan21 (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 01:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by /Bear/
Not all dealerships operate the same way.

Thieves have their fobs when it comes to BMW's and the FCA cars mainly.

But yes dealerships should absolutely have the owner in person, but the issue is there are thieves IN THE dealerships so they obviously work around normal procedures and get these extra fobs made.

Don't know how, why, what or whatever. All i know is that thieves have the fobs. And if they don't, they have the relays, and all these fancy gadets. Dudes showing up with IPAD's and just getting next to the door and voila, open sesame!

Quick Reply: License Plates….I just have to know!