C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another power window thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 02:36 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Default yet another power window thread

Hey guys.

As you might have guessed, I'm having trouble with my power windows on my '75 L82. Actually just one.

Passenger side goes up and down, driver's side does not. Like, nothing. no noise, whining, clunking, nothing.

I've looked at more videos and more threads than I care to admit, but it seems to be a bit unique in that only one side works. I took the center console around the parking brake off and I do seem to have power at both switches.

Which leads my novice self to deduce that the switch is bad or the motor is bad.

If the passenger side is working, that means the relay behind the gauges should be good, right?

Before I start ordering parts and tearing into the dash, I just wanted to "talk" about it with someone(s) that can say if I'm on the right path or out in left field.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2024, 04:44 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by JediOsborn
Hey guys.

As you might have guessed, I'm having trouble with my power windows on my '75 L82. Actually just one.

Passenger side goes up and down, driver's side does not. Like, nothing. no noise, whining, clunking, nothing.

I've looked at more videos and more threads than I care to admit, but it seems to be a bit unique in that only one side works. I took the center console around the parking brake off and I do seem to have power at both switches.

Which leads my novice self to deduce that the switch is bad or the motor is bad.

If the passenger side is working, that means the relay behind the gauges should be good, right?

Before I start ordering parts and tearing into the dash, I just wanted to "talk" about it with someone(s) that can say if I'm on the right path or out in left field.

Thanks in advance!
You might want to try cleaning the contacts before ordering reproduction switches. Simple job...
The following 2 users liked this post by bmotojoe:
JediOsborn (05-06-2024), Peterbuilt (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 06:07 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,260 Likes on 977 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I agree that the relay is good if one side works.
Test the bad switch or swap from one side to the other.
You may have a break in the wire that runs through the conduit that fits between the door and the frame.

On the window motor, there is a two wire connector, power to one wire sends the window UP, power to the other wire sends the window DOWN. The motor gets a ground from being mounted to the door.

The following users liked this post:
JediOsborn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:05 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
You might want to try cleaning the contacts before ordering reproduction switches. Simple job...
https://youtu.be/vMPHbhhE828?si=ufxzYkH4mOFc5dPe

Good video, of all the ones I did see, that's new. Thank you.

[QUOTE=Peterbuilt;1607784203]I agree that the relay is good if one side works.
Test the bad switch or swap from one side to the other.
You may have a break in the wire that runs through the conduit that fits between the door and the frame.

On the window motor, there is a two wire connector, power to one wire sends the window UP, power to the other wire sends the window DOWN. The motor gets a ground from being mounted to the door.

What would cause the break in the wire in the conduit? Just age?
Old 05-06-2024, 07:09 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 258 Posts

Switch out the switches.Process of elimination.My guess would be bad switch
JediOsborn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,185 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Switch out the switches.Process of elimination.My guess would be bad switch

Relay and everything on that side would take out both windows
Just plug the drivers wire onto the passenger switch and see what happens.
If not that, you'll need to get at the motor for the next steps
M
JediOsborn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:37 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Swapping the switches was the next step. Slightly ashamed I didn't think of it sooner.

The switch worked fine. So it has to be the wiring in that conduit TO the door, or the motor IN the door, right?

Thanks for the advice and support.
BarrelCurve (05-12-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:48 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 824 Likes on 565 Posts

make sure you have a good ground for the motor. It gets grounded thru the door, but after many years rust and crud might make the ground not good enough. Those motors pull a lot of juice. Just another simple thing that I would do first. Good luck.
JediOsborn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:16 PM
Mooser
Race Director

You'll need to pull the door panel

First step would be to check if there's power coming out of the plug when you push the switch
I believe 75 was the last year they used motors with two sets of windings, one for up and a different one for down, The motor plug has two connections, one for up and the other for down. The negative was through the motor housing. Ground your test light and stick the probe into either spot on the plug and hit the switch, I'll guess the wiring is fine unless it got pinched/cut somewhere.
As Kanvasman says, double check the ground on the motor JIC it's crapped
You can carefully test the motor with a battery and some jumper wires just be careful not to connect the positive to both of the terminals on the motor at the same time,
M
JediOsborn (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:37 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Alright, door panel it is. That will be tomorrow's research project!
BarrelCurve (05-12-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 12:39 PM
DHer67
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

It could also be both the motor and wires. In my case the motor was bad and one of the wires was broken somewhere between the switch and the motor. The window would go in one direction, but not the other. I thought I had done something wrong, until I switched the wires around and it worked in the opposite direction.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:46 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHer67
It could also be both the motor and wires. In my case the motor was bad and one of the wires was broken somewhere between the switch and the motor. The window would go in one direction, but not the other. I thought I had done something wrong, until I switched the wires around and it worked in the opposite direction.

I'll make sure I check both, thanks.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:42 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

On my 1972, about 12yrs ago, I had a broken wire in the rubber tube that runs from the body to the door.
Traced the break to the mid pint, so after years of flexing the wire just gave out.

Unfortunately trying to solder the two ends together wasn’t going to work, the wire was no longer a “copper” colour, but had a greenish tinge to it.

Solder wouldn’t stick no matter how much I cleaned or what flux I used.

Made a temporary fix with a small crimp (without the plastic cover) connection and a little bit of heat shrink.

Windows worked again.

I then ordered a new harness from Lectric Limited at the same time as I was about to do a engine removal and was replacing the forward harness.

That crimp is still there to this day and the new harness is in my spares box…..
The following 2 users liked this post by riverracer au:
gjohnson (05-08-2024), JediOsborn (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:51 PM
CEc3Tom
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to try ( worked on my 82) is if the window is up ,with the car running, hold the switch for the window to go down and slam the door. Note: Not so hard as to damage anything. Did this on mine and it's been working ever since. The car did sit undriven a number of years by PO. Easy to try w/o removing anything, good luck!
JediOsborn (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:51 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

small update, I got the door cover off and tested the voltage of the wires going to the motor. less than 1.

I'll attach some pics, you can see the connection isn't looking good on one of them.

They also appear to BARELY make it to the motor, I would guess that's why the black wire looks the way it does.

So I think I need to re run the wires?
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2024, 05:22 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

They are not factory connections, there is suppose to be a molded plug on the end of the wires.
JediOsborn (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:56 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by riverracer au
They are not factory connections, there is suppose to be a molded plug on the end of the wires.
definitely not, even I could tell that! Makes me a little worried about what they did.
Also found out why the lock doesn't work....the lower connection between the know and the locking mechanism isn't even there!!
BarrelCurve (05-12-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To yet another power window thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:52 PM
Mooser
Race Director

The original plug might have been busted and they replaced with normal spade connectors. Finding a proper pigtail isn't always easy.
Here's what the plug looked like (ignore the extra ground, I added that while I was putting power locks in, ran a ground all the way back into the car to the birdcage... belt and suspenders)

Make sure you have some slack, strip another 1/2" or so off the wires and check. If it's not good then you'll have to see where it went bad, (I'd run 2 new wires right back to the switch if it was me)

Also a good time to check the motor to make sure it's ok
M

JediOsborn (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:41 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,027 Posts

There are pigtail adapters available that would give you a little more wire to work with and the correct connector...
E-bay Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...99663&_sacat=0
JediOsborn (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:35 PM
JediOsborn
Instructor

okay, so dumb question, but if I were to run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery directly to the motor, if it was functional, should it work?
The only part I don't understand is the lack of ground. There's no ground wire that I can see anywhere near the window motor and I don't know if I need to have that in order to test it.

Quick Reply: yet another power window thread