New tires..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by aklim
Not YOU. ME. I schedule myself for a replacement by year 5. Kinda what I meant.
ah, I totally miscombulated.... sorry, When I was younger that probably would have been me if I had the funds. Now I have the funds but I'm an old fart. Now, don't get me wrong.... I can still get..... um.... spirited
Old 05-06-2024, 08:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by calvins
ah, I totally miscombulated.... sorry, When I was younger that probably would have been me if I had the funds. Now I have the funds but I'm an old fart. Now, don't get me wrong.... I can still get..... um.... spirited
Isn't that how it is? I'm young, have both body and time BUT no money to do squat. Now 8 am older with some money but no time or body.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NortonCO
Agree with others who confirmed 10-yr tire lifespan, which is what Michelin recommends: "If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well." Discount Tire provides similar advice: "We recommend replacing tires aged 6-10 years, no matter how much tread remains."
They're somewhat interchangeable these days, as Tire Rack became part of the Discount Tire family a couple of years ago.
The Owner Manual in our 2017 recommends replacing the tires at 6 years, regardless of tread remaining.
Our original PSS runflats and AS3+ runflats both had lots of tread and looked good, but had hit the 6 year mark. I replaced both sets with new, more PSS runflats and current AS4 runflats. There was a big improvement in grip/ride/noise compared to the old tires. Glad I did it.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:37 PM
jdaniels138
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts

Had problems with my tires (Michelin A/S 3s) on my truck that were leaking around the rim. They were about 6 years old and you could see the cracking in the sidewall. I replaced them with Michelin A/S 4s and I'm not having an issue with the tires leaking around the rim anymore. Also, replaced my OEM this year on the vette. Can't compare the ride before and after as I went with non-runflats.

/JD
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (Yesterday)
Old 05-11-2024, 04:30 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 483 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Thank you for your business! We greatly appreciate it.
My Dad and I just got new tires on his car from Discount tire. I can't believe the difference in ride quality..
My car never had this good of a ride since I owned it. I'm literally blown away at how smooth it is now.
Discount tire was awesome! I highly recommend these guys, nothing but professional and easy to deal with. Too bad most dealers don't operate this way..
The following 4 users liked this post by Goat 2 Vette:
c5arlen (Yesterday), Discount Tire (05-13-2024), miami08VETTE (05-12-2024), NortonCO (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 05:01 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,520 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat 2 Vette
My Dad and I just got new tires on his car from Discount tire. I can't believe the difference in ride quality..
My car never had this good of a ride since I owned it. I'm literally blown away at how smooth it is now.
Discount tire was awesome! I highly recommend these guys, nothing but professional and easy to deal with. Too bad most dealers don't operate this way..
Apologies if I missed it, but what tires did you get?
Old 05-16-2024, 07:02 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

New tires. The tread may look good but the rubber is old enough to maybe? cause a problem.
Where ever you take the ties to, make sure they have the proper machine to do run flats!!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
itsAhybrid
Navigator

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to replace 10 year old tires unless they are cracking. Especially for a weekend car.

I had 2014 tires on my car, ran them at 3 track events up to 260kmh without issue, gripped excellent. Tires had 15,000kms on them.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

^^^^^
Our original PSS runflats (summer) and AS3+ runflats (winter) were 6 years old with plenty of tread when I replaced them, just because our Owner Manual says to do that.
The new tires looked the same, a bit quieter and smoother than the old ones. But the grip in acceleration/braking/cornering was much better, hard to believe that tires which looked the same were performing that well.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 840 Likes on 598 Posts

Dose the phrase "an accident waiting to happen" ring a bell? Compound failure happens ( age related) whether you want to believe or not!
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
NortonCO
Drifting

Received 1,520 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by itsAhybrid
No need to replace 10 year old tires unless they are cracking. Especially for a weekend car.

I had 2014 tires on my car, ran them at 3 track events up to 260kmh without issue, gripped excellent. Tires had 15,000kms on them.
Michelin (OEM tire manufacturer for C7s) disagrees with you... "Ten years is a maximum - If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well."
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Redsoxnation
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by itsAhybrid

I hope that your life policy is paid up. I prefer to listen to the tire experts regarding tire age. I also refuse to buy from Tire Rack and have then shipped to my mechanic. He has business operating expenses: insurance, mortgage, utilities and a family to support. I think that it is wrong to slightly reduce his profit margin in order to save a few dollars.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Redsoxnation
I hope that your life policy is paid up. I prefer to listen to the tire experts regarding tire age. I also refuse to buy from Tire Rack and have then shipped to my mechanic. He has business operating expenses: insurance, mortgage, utilities and a family to support. I think that it is wrong to slightly reduce his profit margin in order to save a few dollars.
Long as he doesn't crash into me, his life policy is none of my concern. My life, however is very much my concern. Grandma smoked heavily since she was a teen till she died in her 70s of unrelated causes. Basically, she "got away with it" as I am sure many did. To boot, it helps prevent Parkinson's. Pretty sure I don't want to run that higher risk. I got more money than body parts to spare. I've seen one of my friends do just that and the results were spectacular. It blew up on the interstate at 70.
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 840 Likes on 598 Posts

Corvette ownership raises ones maturity.... Well, for many of us. 😏
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c5arlen
Corvette ownership raises ones maturity.... Well, for many of us. 😏
Also causes you to lose weight, get taller and more buffed, right?
The following users liked this post:
Gearhead Jim (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: New tires..