Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: 1957 Corvette FI racer

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 426 Likes on 252 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Great '60, livin!

As I mentioned above, I did communicate with Ernie, but he has no knowledge or paperwork on Max's work on cars other than the Old Yellers and Dorettis. I do have my recording of the original owner of my car saying that he had Max revise the suspension on my car, and I'll provide a copy of that lengthy conversation to anyone that buys it.

My '57 is also listed on the Registry of Corvette Race Cars.
The following users liked this post:
livin (05-04-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 07:30 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,783 Likes on 831 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Jim, I probably would keep this car the rest of my life, but my daughter has earned her way into a prestigious private college (expensive) and this sale will help offset some of that. So donating my car to the National Corvette Museum won't help me, though they're a very worthwhile organization.

Dan, I did hear from Ernie Nagamatsu. He sent me some great pictures and an article about the Dave MacDonald Corvette Special recreation, but he had no paperwork or recollection of discussions about Max's work on cars other than the Old Yellers and Dorettis. He seems like a very receptive and helpful guy.
Ernie is one of the best--no doubt about it. I crewed on his OY 2 Team at Goodwood in the early 2000s. I guarantee you that he will provide some information if he finds something. I thought he might know the original owner of your car, as Ernie used to hang around Max's shop when he was young. I suspect a lot of people traversed Max's shop back then.
Old 05-06-2024, 02:59 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd,
You and I have spoken about your car in the past so you know how much I admire the care you've lavished upon it and how you've continued to build on its history and documentation. The Summer 2018 article you wrote for the NCRS Corvette Restorer magazine is ample testament of your devotion to #2968. It's sad you feel the need to sell it rather than donate it to a premier museum, though it's understandable given the real world we all live in and the financial obligations that often must be met such as college tuitions and similar large outlays. The other alternative, its public sale, brings up the questions of who can buy it, at what price and for what purpose. The buyer's profile would probably be an older individual in his late sixties or seventies who remembers '57 Corvettes from his youth, with plenty of money ($100K+) in his toy account and who intends to do a little vintage racing and perhaps a bit of driving on the street. I think that driving it on the street such as going to the local Cars & Coffee would be great fun and yet here too, the limitations imposed by the nature of the beast--its thirst for high octane racing fuel, stiff ride, drum brakes--are unavoidable. Don't be discouraged, the car will sell for the right reason, to the right person and for the right price. Hang in there. I am also in the market, but to buy, not to sell, a '57 Corvette that is less of a race car than a regular driver and I've been made to realize that the right fit might take a while but that in the end it'll be worth the wait.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:49 PM
livin
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrolanoman
Todd,
You and I have spoken about your car in the past so you know how much I admire the care you've lavished upon it and how you've continued to build on its history and documentation. The Summer 2018 article you wrote for the NCRS Corvette Restorer magazine is ample testament of your devotion to #2968. It's sad you feel the need to sell it rather than donate it to a premier museum, though it's understandable given the real world we all live in and the financial obligations that often must be met such as college tuitions and similar large outlays. The other alternative, its public sale, brings up the questions of who can buy it, at what price and for what purpose. The buyer's profile would probably be an older individual in his late sixties or seventies who remembers '57 Corvettes from his youth, with plenty of money ($100K+) in his toy account and who intends to do a little vintage racing and perhaps a bit of driving on the street. I think that driving it on the street such as going to the local Cars & Coffee would be great fun and yet here too, the limitations imposed by the nature of the beast--its thirst for high octane racing fuel, stiff ride, drum brakes--are unavoidable. Don't be discouraged, the car will sell for the right reason, to the right person and for the right price. Hang in there. I am also in the market, but to buy, not to sell, a '57 Corvette that is less of a race car than a regular driver and I've been made to realize that the right fit might take a while but that in the end it'll be worth the wait.
I wouldn’t rule out younger guys… Maybe I am an exception, but I bought the 60 that I race when I was 45/46. I am a young 51 now, and I plan to keep it for the rest of my life! As for taking it to a Cars and Coffee, not a chance! P.S. the older gentleman is the one & only Mr. Larry Webb, my pit crew team advisor!

Old 05-06-2024, 08:10 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Your '60 sure looks great, livin. It's clearly had some serious and current race prep. My '57 is more like it was in the late 50s... race on the weekend, get home, remove numbers and roll bar, and drive during the week. It's always great to hear that you relatively young guys have an appreciation for these old beasts. I've talked with a few young guys, but no takers yet. Which is ok with me. So Ferrolanoman, thanks for your message, but I'm not discouraged. I always figured it might take awhile to sell this car if I ever tried. It's fairly early in the process, so I'll just roll with it and see what comes. This car has a great character, and it's a joy to drive if you don't mind your car being a bit loud. If that's a problem there are caps for the open exhausts. Yeah, I run the race gas on Jerry Bramlett's advice, and it runs great. It's expensive, but I put on about 500 miles a year, so who cares. Thanks, guys.
livin (05-06-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 09:08 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Todd:

In all likelihood, your best prospect will be a person interested in vintage racing. The car would be a great candidate for the Kohler Challenge at Elkhart Lake, WI. Unfortunately, a lot of the younger crowd has morphed to Camaros and Mustangs. Ten years ago, you would see the likes of the BoCars, Devins, Echindnas, Cobras, and C1/C2 Corvettes at these events. Not so much these days. The number of these vintage racers has shrunk. I suspect the age of the owners has a lot to do with it. It will take a person who has an interest in the history and provenance of your car coupled with a desire to track it. Your car checks all the boxes.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:37 PM
Ferrolanoman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the last time a '57 Corvette--race or streetcar--was sold on this forum? It might prove to be a good guideline to prices--not just asking, but selling--, time on the market, regional location, and comments generated, which would help Todd as he seeks to sell his historic racer, as well as those individuals interested such cars. In other words, what kind of a real-world market is the ever-diminishing number of 1957 Corvettes (special interest ones, drivers, restored, projects) exists out there. I couldn't help but notice that the price of his #2968 has been further reduced another $10,000 a few days ago.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:03 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Does anyone know the last time a '57 Corvette--race or streetcar--was sold on this forum? It might prove to be a good guideline to prices--not just asking, but selling--, time on the market, regional location, and comments generated, which would help Todd as he seeks to sell his historic racer, as well as those individuals interested such cars. In other words, what kind of a real-world market is the ever-diminishing number of 1957 Corvettes (special interest ones, drivers, restored, projects) exists out there. I couldn't help but notice that the price of his #2968 has been further reduced another $10,000 a few days ago.
My car has never appealed to the crowd that needs a restored, perfect car. It's not. It's obviously not a restomod. To me it's several steps above a driver, given it's history and originality. It's a car that is very hard to compare to any other '57 that has sold lately. Since it's so unique, I never expected it to sell quickly. I'd like to get it sold, but my price is now down where I can't go much lower. Either it'll sell... or it won't. If it doesn't I'll just have to do something different to cover my daugter's tuition, but I'll still have a '57 fuel car, which sounds ok to me.
Dr L-88 (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:05 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

JayDee, a Forum member, sold an incredibly correct base motor '57 a couple of years ago on this Forum. I believe it may have been a one-family car. Very original in all aspects, and it would be hard to duplicate the originality of his car. I believe it went for low $70s. Given its excellent chain of custody, I doubt you could buy that car for even close to that number today.

Quick Reply: FS: 1957 Corvette FI racer