What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 03:30 PM
cabj81
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmintmist
I got the speaker wires spliced into the new harness after making dinner and ammo.
The whole radio thing was going to wait for more important things, however the company I work for did a gift card thing for being here 35 years and the choices were Bath n Booty works, American Eagle Aerie (60 dollar ladies drawers), or Crutchfield. So, 3 Crutchfield gift cards and a little more later, I got the retro sound with all the goodies.
Since it has rained every day here, I started on it.
Wait one sec, what color wire is used for the radio? My corvette came with no radio and some wires are cut.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 82 Posts

I started working on all the bushings, control arma, tie rods and ends, ball joints. Decided to revamp the entire front suspension.
So after disassembly:

I redid the brake caliper pistons and seals

Then I moved to lower control arms. I have burned the bushings out and then used dull chisel and hammer to break and extract the sleeves.

Since I don’t own a press and I am not interested in buying one for a one time job I bought this mammoth c clamp

and modified it by cutting a groove in the end ring to be able to fit it over the control arm shaft.

Then I washed everything. My kid’s old tub served a purpose here.

And then I have sanded and repainted everything. I pressed the bushings in with my new diy tool and installed a new ball joint.

Job done on this one. Three more to go.
The following 3 users liked this post by CubeBrick:
4-vettes (Yesterday), CraigH (Yesterday), JohnRR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
97C5
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default First wash of the year

The following 2 users liked this post by 97C5:
JohnRR (Yesterday), Newbomb2469 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,170 Likes on 746 Posts

Washed the 71, cleaned the Astro Vents, covered it up.

Bad storms coming, rain has been torrential.
The following users liked this post:
Newbomb2469 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
thomas68
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced all the urethane bushings in the rear suspension with OE style. Still need to bleed the brakes.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas68
Replaced all the urethane bushings in the rear suspension with OE style. Still need to bleed the brakes.
So, what caused you to replace the urethane bushings with rubber? I currently have urethane bushings everywhere! I'm thinking that I might start putting them back to stock bushings too. The car is noisy and the steering is twitchy.

John
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
thomas68
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The urethane became brittle and started to crumble. I was going to get an alignment and started doing some checking and noticed how loose they were and then the crumbling.
JohnRR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 829 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRR
I currently have urethane bushings everywhere! I'm thinking that I might start putting them back to stock bushings too. The car is noisy and the steering is twitchy.

John
You have the PERFECT reason to switch to rubber.. " I have urethane bushings everywhere! ".....

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,380 Likes on 2,844 Posts

I finally out=did the PTSD and got the passenger window to seat correctly...no more 3/8" gaps at the top and front of the glass.

Yes...I cheated.....

The glass is nasty/greasy/masking tape marks everywhere but it fits the weatherstrip...

Piersonpie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Piersonpie
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 63 Posts

Off and on rain so I didn’t get too much done.

Attached the smart strut bracket and mounts for the offset rear sway bar. Feels good to be putting shiny new parts on the car rather than dealing with dirty, greasy, old stuff.

But I guess I can’t get away from the stuff though, because I took the front hubs apart to begin the rebuild. The bearings look good, not sure if they’ve been serviced in the last 48 years or 73,000 miles, but the grease sure smells like they haven’t.

The rest of the front spindle looks good and will be getting a thorough cleaning and coat of paint. There’s nothing wrong with the front dust shields, but since the rear ones will be new I might get some new ones if the price is right.

Can’t wait to drive the car again though. I had the side pipes off to install riv nuts in the rocker panel holes. Engine sounds good straight piped.

On the topic of riv nuts though. I drilled the holes out just large enough to get the insert through up to the lip. When I tried to rivet it down it doesn’t want to bite into the base material, almost like the base material is too thick. Is there something I’m doing wrong? It’s a Doyle tool from Harbor Freight and I’m using the 10-24 inserts.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?