C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 C5 Z06 track car headers install

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:36 AM
gregkono
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default '04 C5 Z06 track car headers install

Contemplating replacing my stock headers/cats/Corsa mufflers on my stock LS6 motor plant.. I see American racing has a Headers to Pre-cats set for $2100 (available in July). This is a track only car and looking to increase the out flow of the exhaust and pick up a few HP and performance. Is it worth it?? Is the install straight forward ? Thanks in advance, Greg in SW Mich....
Old 05-16-2024, 12:11 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 334 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

For a HPDE car, I'd go 1 3/4" primaries for the torque unless you are planning on a 402 or bigger build down the road.

Install is not bad IMO. The car will need a tune. So know who you're going to have do the retune or learn to tune yourself. Tightening up the VE and MAF tables shouldn't be hard for a intake and exhaust tune.

When you're running the O2 sensors be sure to tidy up wires to keep them off the exhaust. I use P clamps to attach wires to the trans tunnel heat shield bolts.

The following users liked this post:
USAZR1 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 04:01 PM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts

For $2100+tune.. eh. I'd just get a set of speed engineering ones and add cats if you want them. Much more palatable for the increase you get.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:44 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,112 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Midwayman
For $2100+tune.. eh. I'd just get a set of speed engineering ones and add cats if you want them. Much more palatable for the increase you get.
How's the fit and overall quality of the Speed Engineering headers? I can't justify spending over $2K for a set of Kooks or ARH units.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:39 AM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 565 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
How's the fit and overall quality of the Speed Engineering headers? I can't justify spending over $2K for a set of Kooks or ARH units.
They fit fine on a M6 car. I had mine Jet Hot coated. You can have them shipped from SE to Jet hot, then to your house/shop for about $1k with shipping. Plus the X pipe from SE and I cant remember if I paid to have that separate x-pipe kit shipped? I don't think so but you may want to call SE and ask if you go that route. I've purchased headers and had them coated twice now due to a leaky modified TPIS intake on initial fire up after head/cam/header install. I could have left them with the dull coating as it did not fail, but every time I opened the hood it bothered me that the beautiful Jet Hot was now dull and ugly. OCD I guess.
If you use the supplied slip fit tubes and you take it off, you'll need to expand the pipes back to the original size from getting compressed from the clamps being tightened. Not a big deal, just be aware, if you need to take it down for whatever reason. Or you can use the whizz bang flanges like Mr Black and others ave used. You will also need to cut your original exhaust right about where the cross over is, towards the back. Measure twice, cut once as the saying goes. I also had the local muffler shop tack the adapters in place as no matter how hard I tightened the clamps on the SE adapter to OE tubes they would not tighten up and the tail pipes would move on bumps driving on the State of ILL messed up roads
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607788936

Mr Black has a good video of whats involved slipping them in:

Edit:
$761 total for headers, X-pipe, Std clamps, MLS gaskets, ARP bolts/washers, plug wires, plug wire sleves and O2 extensions. SE also added taxes and Only $15 for shipping Can't beat it for the price...

Last edited by Prop Joe; 05-17-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:55 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gregkono
Contemplating replacing my stock headers/cats/Corsa mufflers on my stock LS6 motor plant.. I see American racing has a Headers to Pre-cats set for $2100 (available in July). This is a track only car and looking to increase the out flow of the exhaust and pick up a few HP and performance. Is it worth it?? Is the install straight forward ? Thanks in advance, Greg in SW Mich....
Just an FYI. Stock = exhaust manifolds. Headers are aftermarket.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:17 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,112 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Prop Joe
They fit fine on a M6 car. I had mine Jet Hot coated. You can have them shipped from SE to Jet hot, then to your house/shop for about $1k with shipping. Plus the X pipe from SE and I cant remember if I paid to have that separate x-pipe kit shipped? I don't think so but you may want to call SE and ask if you go that route. I've purchased headers and had them coated twice now due to a leaky modified TPIS intake on initial fire up after head/cam/header install. I could have left them with the dull coating as it did not fail, but every time I opened the hood it bothered me that the beautiful Jet Hot was now dull and ugly. OCD I guess.
If you use the supplied slip fit tubes and you take it off, you'll need to expand the pipes back to the original size from getting compressed from the clamps being tightened. Not a big deal, just be aware, if you need to take it down for whatever reason. Or you can use the whizz bang flanges like Mr Black and others ave used. You will also need to cut your original exhaust right about where the cross over is, towards the back. Measure twice, cut once as the saying goes. I also had the local muffler shop tack the adapters in place as no matter how hard I tightened the clamps on the SE adapter to OE tubes they would not tighten up and the tail pipes would move on bumps driving on the State of ILL messed up roads
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1607788936

Mr Black has a good video of whats involved slipping them in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SBLKy789M

Edit:
$761 total for headers, X-pipe, Std clamps, MLS gaskets, ARP bolts/washers, plug wires, plug wire sleves and O2 extensions. SE also added taxes and Only $15 for shipping Can't beat it for the price...
Thanks for that info, Joe.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:21 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by gregkono
Is it worth it?? Thanks in advance, Greg in SW Mich....
Of course not. Spend your money on seat time, brakes, and tires.
The following users liked this post:
redzg (05-19-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To '04 C5 Z06 track car headers install

Quick Reply: '04 C5 Z06 track car headers install