Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does changing rim sizes create problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Railfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does changing rim sizes create problems?

Currently, I have 17 and 18 inch rims and have been thinking about new rims, sizes 18 and 19 inches. Does the increased size of the rims cause any problems with brakes, speedometer, etc.?

Thanks.
Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

As long as you keep the overall diameter of the tires the same, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wheel change

The diameter of the wheel and the slope from front to back are the primary considerations. The front will accept at least a 285/30/18 with no rubbing and maybe larger. I know this size is good because I have that on by 03 coupe. The rear will accept at least a 315/30/18 with no problems, and I have seen up to 335/30/18 refered to on the forum with no tubbling. I have the 285/30/18 front and 315/30/18 rear, chrome C5 thin spokes from bobs house of wheels. Bob is a very good vendor I had the wheels within 1 week of placing my order. I have read you need a back to front slope for proper active handling function. The stock slope is .98th of an inch, I have .71th of an inch and everything seems to be working fine, at least no codes or lights. Here is a tire calculator that will give you comparative tire diameter on tires sizes.http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/broc...o/tireMath.jsp This will help you if you are just trying to match stock tire height or if you need to program (using something like a hypertech III), in your new tire heights. Good luck with your wheels

Get notified of new replies

To Does changing rim sizes create problems?

Quick Reply: Does changing rim sizes create problems?