Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome wheels.. cleaning

Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 PM
jlkreider
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome wheels.. cleaning

I am having some issues trying to get what I think is oxidation of the chrome wheels that I have. It may also be hard water spots, not sure. Anyone have any suggestions? We have used both Mother's and Mguires chrome wheel cleaner and it helps, but doesn't completely get rid of it. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 PM
PKAR
Instructor

Default Quad 0000 Steel Wool

Originally Posted by jlkreider
I am having some issues trying to get what I think is oxidation of the chrome wheels that I have. It may also be hard water spots, not sure. Anyone have any suggestions? We have used both Mother's and Mguires chrome wheel cleaner and it helps, but doesn't completely get rid of it. Thanks!
As crazy as this is going to sound, try some quad 0000 steel wool. Be gentle and careful and it will do the trick. Also works on glass to remove stubborn stains from past decals and such. After polishing with the steel wool, then use the polishes you have been using. You can get the steel wool in a small package at True Value or the paint section of WalMart.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 AM
sunnfish
Advanced

I have used SOS pads just don't scuba to hard.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 PM
PKAR
Instructor

Default 0000 Very Fine Steel Wool

Originally Posted by sunnfish
I have used SOS pads just don't scuba to hard.
Soap pads are very abrasive. They will scar and remove chrome very easily and leave the surface dull and prone to rust. Quad ott very fine steel wool will not scar and will remove the stain and oxidation. Restorers use it to clean up chrome emblems to make them almost like new. Be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome wheels.. cleaning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome wheels.. cleaning