Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
winger1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

looking to buy new tires looking at Mich. pilot SP PS2 ZP any fed back?

Thanks Winger1
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

I'm doing the same thing right now, and want the Michelin PS2 ZP's (yes, they are a great tire albeit expensive) - BUT, you will have a hard time finding them - they are on a nationwide backorder. I talked to one dealer yesterday, and he was able to find 4 tires (2 front, 2 back) from 4 different locations and they would need to be shipped and would take over a week. I'm in Chicago, and the Tire Rack HQ is in South Bend, IN and THEY are even out of stock (of the fronts).

So, if you can find a place that has them in stock - Let Me Know!!

(so, though I really wanted the PS2's, I'm now doing searches on the forum to find out what might be the next best).

Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM
winger1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TOBASCO
I'm doing the same thing right now, and want the Michelin PS2 ZP's (yes, they are a great tire albeit expensive) - BUT, you will have a hard time finding them - they are on a nationwide backorder. I talked to one dealer yesterday, and he was able to find 4 tires (2 front, 2 back) from 4 different locations and they would need to be shipped and would take over a week. I'm in Chicago, and the Tire Rack HQ is in South Bend, IN and THEY are even out of stock (of the fronts).

(so, though I really wanted the PS2's, I'm now doing searches on the forum to find out what might be the next best).

hi Tobasco
you can check out Toce Tire in Torrington Ct
Had mine put on this morning
good luck winger1

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-01-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: removed phone number to Non Supporting Vendor
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM
winger1
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=
you can check out Toce Tire in Torrington Ct
Had mine put on this morning
good luck winger1[/QUOTE] it is not Toce it is Zeller Tire

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-01-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Remove phone number to Non Supporting Vendor
Old 04-21-2014, 05:56 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I just got a set for my C-5, a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get them through one source, but I wasn't thrilled that the front tires were made in mid 2013, while the rears were made in early 2012. I've already had one set of tires "age out" and I'm not looking to have it happen again.....

Having said that, although I've got only about 100 miles on them, and want them to "break-in" a little, they ARE a LOT quieter than the Michelin A/S ZPs that I replaced.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I wrote this blog post back in 2009 so, while some things have changed, most noteably Pirelli being the F1 Spec tire, my opinion of the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP has not

Originally Posted by Letters from Luke Blog
Michelin pulls off a historic upset
Thursday, July 23, 2009 by Luke Pavlick

Can you really use the term historic when talking about a tire?
Some say "yes" some say "no".

If you look at the way in which a tire achieves such status you can make a valid argument for either answer. I think the issue is not, if a tire is 'historic' but, the circumstances which lead a given tire to be placed in a historic position.

Goodyear is the 'SPEC' tire company for NASCAR, which is the most popular race series in the world right now. Does that make the Goodyear Racing Eagle historic or is it just good product placement?

You may have heard comments on the tires that were at the 2008 Brickyard 400 from the likes of Tony Stewart and other NASCAR drivers. Tires which basically turned the whole race into a pitstop competition which was eventually won by Jimmie Johnson.

Not the kind of history I would want to be associated with but,it is said that "any press is good press". Anybody want to ask a Goodyear exec if that still holds true?

Much like Goodyear & NASCAR, Firestone is the spec tire for the Indy Racing League races.

while over at Formula 1 Bridgestone is the tire of choice

and Dunlop has won at 24 Hours of LeMans more than 30 times.

This years classic 24 hour endurance race saw 41 of the 55 entries on Michelin tires. The Michelin shod entries completed 11944 laps which adds up to an astounding 101,153 miles.

All great marketing moves, which lead to equally great achievements but, in my opinion not really 'historic'.

Here's something I believe could be considered 'historic' to a car guy like me.

The Chevrolet Corvette has been THE American Sportscar since 1953. The automotive press has repeatedly called it an iconic car for the ages. Yes, times have changed, GM management has cycled through and designers have come and gone but, the Corvette has survived and some say even thrived regardless of the happenings around the world. Over the years 6 different generations have left the assembly plant.

The one thing every Corvette has shared is the Goodyear tires which were installed at the factory. That's right for 56 years every Corvette built came with Goodyear performance tires.

In 2009 Chevrolet introduced the King of all Corvettes. the ZR1 which sports 600+ horsepower and can legitimately compete with any supercar in the world.

True to it's heritage, The ZR1 delivers world class handling and performance but, there's something different about the newly crowned King. Unlike the 56 years of Corvettes that came before it, it doesn't have Goodyear Performance tires.

The engineers at, the french tire company, Michelin developed a tire which was so finely tuned and mated to the ZR1's suspension, chassis and dynamics they were able to gain the OE application with their new Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. The relationship between Goodyear and the Corvette was not strong enough to stop the advancement of a better performing product.

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is the first non-Goodyear Corvette OE fitment ever!

The tire is designed to combine world class traction, handling and cornering with an advanced tread rubber compound which is molded into an asymmetric tread design featuring Michelin’s Variable Contact Patch to keep more tread rubber on the road during a variety of maneuvers. The tread design features large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous intermediate and center ribs to provide a solid connection to the ground for control during cornering, braking and acceleration in dry conditions. According, to what I have read and what I have witnessed, it is the first runflat tire I have ever seen which can and does out-perform it's non-runflat counterpart.

What can you do after a coup like that? The engineers from Michelin went back to the drawing board and re-engineered the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP and came up with specific versions for the C5 and C6 Chassis Corvettes. Since then, the tire has proven itself to be the top choice for Corvette owners who want the most out of their driving experience.

My name is Luke Pavlick ... I am a car guy

- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/letter....HoxUCsNQ.dpuf
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TOBASCO

It's the PSS that are on national backorder, although I saw Amazon selling them for $379/each.

The PS2s seem to be relatively plentiful

Get notified of new replies

To New Tires

Quick Reply: New Tires