Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

User feedback on the use of the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Default User feedback on the use of the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Gals/Guys,
If you have put these on, please post up some feedback and the sizes used and what vehicle!
I would like to know how they are working for you.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 03-08-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 PM
tomsMYz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sport short review

I had Nitto Invos 345x25x20 on my car. Put on TPE rear fenders and went with a taller tire. 345x30x20 Michelin Super sports. Having some rubbing issues on bumps but working on that. Taller sidewall rides better for sure. I dont have a lot of miles on it yet and really cannot speak about traction vs. Nittos. Mainly bought these due to good reviews and hopefully longer tread life.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running 265/35x18s with 305/30x19 super sports. Love them
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I'm considering 275/35/18 and 345/30/19

They sound like the best tire out there!

David
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

As for the PSS tire ride, it was no worse than any other fully treaded performance or regular tire and I have been on many. I put over 600 miles on these so far in heavy rain at speed, at dry speed, etc and they were rock solid as I knew they would be.
Much quieter than the KDW2 due to smaller tread blocks
I had heard/ read some folks thought they were a little rougher taking potholes, elevation transitions, etc but I found them no worse than Toyo RA1s, Bridgestone's, BFGs, etc. and actually better in worse holes!
I am sure the use of Twaron stiffens the ride a little, but I will take a firm consistent contact patch in all conditions vs a softer ride any day.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Are you running on stock rims? Any traction control issues on the track?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running these on 18, 19" combo. My Z is cammed, geared and has some head work done along with full bolt ons.
The Invos I was running couldn't keep traction at all. I could break the rear end loose in 2nd gear at 2k rpms.
The Michelin PSS are a different story. I don't drive in the rain, but in the dry they are very predictable in corners and I find myself pushing the car harder than I did with the Invos. The straight line traction is better than the Invos but I can still roast them at will. Part of having 3.90 gears with a cammed Z I guess.
They certainly put the power to the ground better than any other street tire I've ever driven on. For $1600 mounted for all four corners I think they are the best overall value in a high performance street tire. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

I just got back from a weekend at the track with these tires and I have to say, I'm in love with them. At the skidpad on Friday, with the traction system off, I saw 1.28 g's, in Competition mode, I saw 1.24 g's. On the track, they gripped and handled incredibly well.

A special treat was that I had Mike Pettiford drive my car on the track today (man can he drive). After two laps, I checked and he was able to pull 1.28 g's. Once again, I'm in love with these tires!

2010 Corvette Z06
Engine: Stock
Suspension: Stock
Rotors: DBA 4000
Brake Pads: Carbotech XP10/front and XP8/rear
Tires: Pilot Super Sport: 275/35ZR-18 and 325/30ZR-19
Tire Pressure: 30 cold
Alignment: Pfadt Performance Street - Track Use with Street Tires

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Last edited by thisismyusername; 04-22-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Running the same rears with 255/35/18 in front. Stock rims and finding them great all around so far.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Not a suprise
Thanks for posting up your thoughts

You will find the tire temps VERY even all the way across the tread front or rear either side. Then do that with the any other tires.........that will show you how well the tire is constructed
As for pressures, very stable as well and Michelin recommends your pressures start at the OEM setting That is where we started on every test I have done..........yes, I checked them with my gages

Note; according to Michelin, shaving the PSS will gain you no better times or wear.

I have done temp/pressure readings in Dubai, CA & Fl on many of our test cars during high speed/autocross use and I was impressed with the numbers

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 04-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:27 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I replaced my PS2's on my CTS V with 255/35/19 and 305/30/19 PSS's, and have been very pleased. I probably have 4000 miles on them over the winter, as this is my daily driver. the 1st thing I notice is they last much better than PS2's. It seemed like I could watch the tread go away on the PS2's almost daily, and now I really dont even notice much wear.

they dont seem to be quite as gripy as the PS2's, but then again, I have never really heated them up on the track. overall, im very happy with them.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
I replaced my PS2's on my CTS V with 255/35/19 and 305/30/19 PSS's, and have been very pleased. I probably have 4000 miles on them over the winter, as this is my daily driver. the 1st thing I notice is they last much better than PS2's. It seemed like I could watch the tread go away on the PS2's almost daily, and now I really dont even notice much wear.

they dont seem to be quite as gripy as the PS2's, but then again, I have never really heated them up on the track. overall, im very happy with them.
Thanks for the info
How did they grip below 40f degrees compared to other tires you have used?
Michelin says they are not the best option below 40.....I have yet to test at that temp, above that me likey alot for a fully treaded tire
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

the V has the tq to spin them in the warm with no sweat, so I never really push them in a straight line anyway. as for cornering, they seemed fine, i never felt unstable with them.

my only fear was driving in the snow, and than goodness we didnt get enough to impact me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle
Thanks for the info
How did they grip below 40f degrees compared to other tires you have used?
Michelin says they are not the best option below 40.....I have yet to test at that temp, above that me likey alot for a fully treaded tire
I have held off commenting on mine because I am waiting to run an autocross this coming week, however, I can say the PS2 SS are the same as GY SuperCars in this respect (cold temps), they are indeed a summer tire. If you read C6 General you will see many people ripping on GY SuperCars and GS2 (mostly for noise, wet weather, and tread life).

In 38 degree temp (according to DIC) the rear end lost it, and in a different way than the GY SuperCars, the SuperCars totally slide in a predictable manner, whereas the PS2 SS grab and slide, partially maintaining traction and losing it. I prefer the way the GY slide over the PS2 chatter.

I also experienced this when road was wet and 41.

I have driven the GY down to 15F and the slide is alweays the same, predictable. It is almost as if the SS has too much grip for its own good at cold temps, it cannot decide to grab or slide. The cure for this is be gentle with throttle, neither tire loses it without warning unless you are on the gas.

Comparison of GY SuperCar to PS2 SS:
keep in mind I can only compare new tires as SS only have a couple hundred miles
comfort = similar
wet weather = similar
price = SS considerably less
cold weather characteristics = prefer GY, more predictable slide ( I must say though that my experience with the SS is limited, I have 5 years experience with GY)
dry traction = I am impressed with the SS, will know more after first autocross in a week and HPDE a month and a half from now

I have a narrow body C6, tire sizes are 235 & 275, one size slimmer than stock although they appear to be OEM size to me!

Last edited by cadguymark; 04-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To User feedback on the use of the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Quick Reply: User feedback on the use of the NEW Michelin Pilot Super Sport