Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

I get to be that Guy: Disappointed in Paragon Performance customer service

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 02:19 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 161 Posts
Default I get to be that Guy: Disappointed in Paragon Performance customer service

I’m never that guy who posts disgruntled feedback, but today it’s me.

Paragon Performance has been my favorite vendor for C8 products. Especially their amazing YouTube videos and wealth of information for the C8. So, I know I am a “one-off” bad luck story, but I have to report the POOR Customer Service I just experienced.

Bought a new C8 front tow hook. Installed it per YouTube video. The threads got bent when I tightened it as directed. This prevented the hook from threading into the installed shaft. I thought no worries, Paragon will send me a new hook since I spent nearly $300 on one and it didn’t work. Nice email sent to Paragon explaining.

Cory from Paragon kindly sent me email stating I would need to repurchase the part and Paragon wouldn’t replace it. He provided the company and part number for me to call and purchase a new one. I called Paragon and spoke with Cory about it. He understands what happened and knows how it could happen…..but he said Paragon won’t replace it???? This just seemed out of character for such a simple and expensive brand new item….from such a valued vendor. It’s the small things that matter. I know I am the odd man out here considering the good company they are. But I have options and will send my business and my track group customers elsewhere moving forward. Nobody spends more money on expensive stuff more than track guys. What a big miss by Paragon.

Anyone want a unusable Paragon Tow Hook in Red? 😕. To help those who will be installing your future Paragon Tow Hook, be careful not to over tighten (I didn’t) the shaft during install. Apparently, this bends the threads preventing the hook from going on.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:10 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Could it be fixed with the proper tap to rethread it? It seems the wall of the "nut" is too thin. I would hate to have to pull a Corvette out at a slight angle with that, it might bend. There are a lot of much cheaper knock offs to be bought, if they are not going to stand behind their product.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:42 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,552 Likes on 846 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have Paragon tow hooks front & rear. When I installed them I torqued them to over 100 lb/ft because I wanted to be sure they were secure. Anyway, with that amount of torque they had no problem at all. How much torque did you use to damage it? What kind of socket was used? I'm guessing Paragon thinks it was user error.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:53 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,809 Likes on 2,261 Posts

I watched the installation video, and looked at your photos. Under the circumstances (they wont replace it), I would be trying to make it work. Seems to me that its not thread damage, but rather the opening was mashed slightly out of round, oval shaped, so that the bolt cannot enter it. Without having the piece, I cant tell for sure what would work. If the opening is mashed and is oval shaped, you might be able to us a vice on the elongated length, to mash it back to a circular shape. I have done this a few times on out of round parts. Also, I would get a bolt with the same threads to use as the test object, rather than using the loop/hook. No need to damage its threads. It might also be possible to taper the end of a bolt so that it will fit into the hole and engage the threads, then just screw it in - which may push the opening back to a circular shape. I would avoid cutting new threads if at all possible, but tap, which has a tapered end would probably fit into the opening.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:18 PM
Driv200
Racer

Thanks guys.

What other vendors are good to support through this forum?

And yes, I have a group of race guys who can tap it. That’s our next move. And I’m sure it was user error. I’m never the mechanic type and thought I could at least install the tow hook. I’m pretty sure it’s the most expensive tow hook on the market. Which is why I expected common customer service. That’s the point of my post. In my business, if I treated customers like this…..I would be out of business or sued. No worries, I’m over it. What other vendors are good vendors to support?
Old 09-16-2022, 01:27 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200
Thanks guys.

What other vendors are good to support through this forum?

And yes, I have a group of race guys who can tap it. That’s our next move. And I’m sure it was user error. I’m never the mechanic type and thought I could at least install the tow hook. I’m pretty sure it’s the most expensive tow hook on the market. Which is why I expected common customer service. That’s the point of my post. In my business, if I treated customers like this…..I would be out of business or sued. No worries, I’m over it. What other vendors are good vendors to support?
I bought my tow hook from Vicrez. Not sure if they are a supporting vendor on the forum but I have no issues with mine.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Hoffer362
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200
Thanks guys.
And I’m sure it was user error. I’m never the mechanic type and thought I could at least install the tow hook.
So you trashed it and complained about the dealer?
You can tell from the pics it was user error.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:41 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,430 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
I watched the installation video, and looked at your photos. Under the circumstances (they wont replace it), I would be trying to make it work. Seems to me that its not thread damage, but rather the opening was mashed slightly out of round, oval shaped, so that the bolt cannot enter it. Without having the piece, I cant tell for sure what would work. If the opening is mashed and is oval shaped, you might be able to us a vice on the elongated length, to mash it back to a circular shape. I have done this a few times on out of round parts. Also, I would get a bolt with the same threads to use as the test object, rather than using the loop/hook. No need to damage its threads. It might also be possible to taper the end of a bolt so that it will fit into the hole and engage the threads, then just screw it in - which may push the opening back to a circular shape. I would avoid cutting new threads if at all possible, but tap, which has a tapered end would probably fit into the opening.
^^^ this
Make it work - get a bigga hamma!!
Old 09-16-2022, 02:19 PM
evanft
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Alright maybe this is a bit out of pocket but has anyone else noticed that a lot of what Paragon sells seem to be parts you can find on eBay from Chinese sellers, except Paragon marks them up substantially? Like the trim pieces and what not.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:23 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoffer362
So you trashed it and complained about the dealer?
You can tell from the pics it was user error.
Strange, to me it appears from the picture, it is a poor design.

Except neither of us has seen his item in person, nor saw how it looked before install, or how it was installed. So, neither of us really know who is at fault.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:25 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by evanft
Alright maybe this is a bit out of pocket but has anyone else noticed that a lot of what Paragon sells seem to be parts you can find on eBay from Chinese sellers, except Paragon marks them up substantially? Like the trim pieces and what not.
This particular item is on ebay, or appears to be, and for the same price. The listing claims it is made in USA.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Follow up to post 11: I went to the Raceseng website to verify country of manufacture - because sometimes ebay listings are inaccurate about that. It's USA. Here is the chat result from my inquiry.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:27 PM
Hoffer362
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Strange, to me it appears from the picture, it is a poor design.

Except neither of us has seen his item in person, nor saw how it looked before install, or how it was installed. So, neither of us really know who is at fault.
Looks like the wrong socket was used. Possibly poor quality socket
Old 09-16-2022, 03:50 PM
Driv200
Racer

It arrived as new. Poor design makes it fragile for install. It got messed up and can’t use it. I was very complimentary of a good company and my case being a one-off bad customer service experience. I choose who to do business with and I just chose the wrong vendor. Lucky for me it’s at the beginning of my C8 upgrades adventure.

I’m looking for feedback on other vendors/companies who support the C8 community. I’m sure my $25,000 budget won’t be missed, but my 200 member track group makes a bigger statement as a whole.

Appreciate all the comments and keeping positive. We are blessed to have such silly problems.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:48 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Its a little thin at the end where the bolt head is cast into the piece, but it has thicker walls further down. I noticed on their website it is rated for a "straight pull", 8000# I think. There is nothing mentioned about sideways strength. And the bolt head is little shallow as well. In the installation video, the installer uses a socket, with a torque wrench, but you will notice the he holds his and at the wrench pivot point to prevent sideways pressure on the socket while tightening it. I can see where side pressure, or socket not fully engaged would distort the opening. Or using an open end or crescent wrench - also a problem. Also, in retrospect, they could have provided a short bolt that could have been screwed into the hole, which would have prevented distortion of the hole during tightening. The bolt head on that extra piece could be the same size as the bolt head on the hook shaft end - and it could just be loosely screwed in and aligned with the hook shaft bolt, so the socket would slide over it, and engage the hook shaft bolt. Once tightened, that bolt is removed.

Also note that the when the loop is screwed into the hook shaft, it is actually loose, and tightened using a jam nut. This design is to allow the loop to be aligned for aesthetics.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:29 PM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,552 Likes on 846 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Taking your 200 member track group to another vendor sounds like sour grapes over your own mistake. I'm almost at the end of my C8 upgrades adventure and I have found that Paragon parts and service (when I needed it) has been stellar.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:53 PM
Driv200
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
Taking your 200 member track group to another vendor sounds like sour grapes over your own mistake. I'm almost at the end of my C8 upgrades adventure and I have found that Paragon parts and service (when I needed it) has been stellar.
Sour grapes indeed. But grapes turn to wine. Want to join us on Napa tour?

Get notified of new replies

To I get to be that Guy: Disappointed in Paragon Performance customer service

Old 09-16-2022, 07:10 PM
ak6960
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 119 Posts

Why not the GM offered tow points? Not enough bling?
Old 09-16-2022, 11:36 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,743 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Just like their catch can; Chinese crap. I sent mine back after it failed. Their lowering wrenches are also cheap junk that are basically good for 2-3 uses max. I appreciate their awesome videos, but as far as their products go they basically suck.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:51 AM
ak6960
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 119 Posts

I would not be screwing that into the front or back of a car with any real
intent of using it. The question asked about side loading capacity? That would be zero. Real rigging components are definitely mark to safe working load limits / working load limits SWL/WWL A real swivel hoist ring with 8000 lb capacity from a quality USA manufacture (Crosby) will
aet you back around 2000 dollars. It has a safety factor of four or five to one and is it is rated at full capacity in any configuration. Don’t forget that what you screw it into has every bit as much responsibility as that piece of jewelry.

Quick Reply: I get to be that Guy: Disappointed in Paragon Performance customer service