Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Give me a break - bad valve guides 3 times < 49000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 11:00 AM
herwawan
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by loflite
So I have an '08 with about 25k miles on it which I bought new. All stock except for ZR1 mufflers. I was planning on keeping it stock and enjoying it for what it is for a very long time. 505hp is fine with me. I have an extended warranty that runs out next august. The plan was to take it to shop #2 and have them rework the heads after the warranty runs out. After reading this thread, it appears that replacing the heads with aftermarket is the best bet. What is the best bet for aftermarket heads. Remember, looking for longevity, not HP.
One negative feedback is enough to make you change your entire strategy despite a majority of satisfied customers? Doesn’t discount OP story at all, but that’s a bit extreme. I even feel like I should stop reading the forum because of the amount of fear that exist over here.

Also, aftermarket heads mean a tune. They flow considerably more which you ECU can’t adapt properly for. That won’t keep your car « stock ». Heads properly machines will address your concern.

Last edited by herwawan; 10-16-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:23 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by herwawan
One negative feedback is enough to make you change your entire strategy despite a majority of satisfied customers? Doesn’t discount OP story at all, but that’s a bit extreme. I even feel like I should stop reading the forum because of the amount of fear that exist over here.

Also, aftermarket heads mean a tune. They flow considerably more which you ECU can’t adapt properly for. That won’t keep your car « stock ». Heads properly machines will address your concern.
No, it wasn't one negative feedback. I may still go with shop #2. I'm more concerned that the stock heads just can't be repaired properly as they are just wrong from the get go causing excessive wear on the valves. Shop #2 also sells an aftermarket head. Can the stock heads be definitively corrected? After reading this whole thread, I get the feeling that the answer to that question is maybe. I haven't talked to shop #2 yet personally and should probably give them a call.

Last edited by loflite; 10-16-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:49 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 698 Likes on 445 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I have shop #2 heads in my otherwise stock LS7 (except a tune, +40hp)
My local LS expert/tuner shop confirms that if you stay stock cam it should be fine, otherwise it will become a maintenance item.
treat it nice, warm up gently, no lugging and use an oil with at least 1000ppm zinc.
I run mine at track days staying between 4-7k much of the time. It’s fine

Last edited by tommyc6z06; 10-21-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:58 AM
kyle242gt
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

At the risk of jinxing myself (about 150mi on a fresh set of what we're now calling shop #2 heads), you gotta remember that the people whose cars *aren't* broken don't post "HAY GUYS GUESS WHAT MY CAR'S NOT BROKEN".
FWIW, the set I took off (warranteed stockers) were "wow we're amazed they're still in one piece" after less than 20K miles. Admittedly, the last 2K or so of those were spent mostly on track.

Last edited by kyle242gt; 10-16-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:16 PM
gmansbu
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel like the only person in the room who doesn’t know who shop 2 is. Can someone PM me or point me in the right direction to find out myself?
Old 10-16-2021, 09:33 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
GM will never disclose their data. Even the Camaros that got the LS7 engines had the problem. Hib Haberson measured warranty replacement heads for his Z brand new in 2013 and they were out of spec. I do not know if LS7 heads are still being made, but I am sure Linimar is doing them the same way if they are still in production.

As an aside, Linimar got the GM contract for Z06 e-difs delivered to Bowling Green "ready for installation". Unfortunately they short filled the difs with fluid and a good number of them failed early (a quality supplier??). One CA buyer took BG delivery and only got as far at TX before the dif failed, stranding him on his trip home.
Seems GM likes Linimar, to the point of nut hugging! I know if I sent work out to a vendor, and they cost me the $$ Linimar must've cost GM, they'd be in the rear view mirror so fast words don't exist to describe it.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:04 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by Purple92
I expect THAT rocker shaft system (with the roller bearing rocker arm tips) - will resolve the side loading issue !!!

As the rocker pushes down on the valve - the tip of the rocker "slides" along the valve tip. The side loading is proportionate to the amount of force being applied to lift the valve, and the coefficient of friction between the rocker arm tip and the tip of the valve stem. The side load typically gets worse as the valve gets to max lift - when the spring is most compressed. This is why guide wear is typically "worst" when the wear is checked at max lift - vs at just barely open... As I said in post 34 - If the pushrod is not the correct length (and the "correct length" will vary due to things like milled heads, different cam "base circles" etc. etc.) the geometry gets worse (read that as there is more rocker arm sliding across the valve tip), and the guide wear increases. There is a good discussion about this on the Comp Cams website.
Pushrod length has nothing to do with rocker geometry on the LS engines. Small block Chevy? Yes. LS? NO. All the pushrod length does is change lifter preload, nothing more, nothing less. Think about it for a bit.....In the Gen1 SBC, different PR lengths raise and lower the rocker arm height. The LS engine has a fixed rocker arm, bolted to the head. The only way to change geometry is by raising or lowering the rocker relevant to the valve stem, or changing the rocker arm tip as it relates to the fulcrum......
Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Geometry doesn’t change with hydraulic lifters and different length pushrods.
On the LS engines, yes. On ALL pushrod engines, no...
Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,534 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Seems GM likes Linimar, to the point of nut hugging! I know if I sent work out to a vendor, and they cost me the $$ Linimar must've cost GM, they'd be in the rear view mirror so fast words don't exist to describe it.
The e-Dif problem was for the C7 Zs, so contract awarded years after Linamar continued to deliver out of spec heads that GM accepted and let customers deal with it.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:43 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If I were to have any heads reworked they would get sent to Richard over at WCCH and nowhere else.
Known him for decades, he and Dave run a pretty good biz there. Couple of honest guys who know their chit.
background goes a lot further than just a nice machine shop
Old 10-17-2021, 12:34 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cv67
If I were to have any heads reworked they would get sent to Richard over at WCCH and nowhere else.
Known him for decades, he and Dave run a pretty good biz there. Couple of honest guys who know their chit.
My K501 cammed Z06 (.658/.660 lift, 593/513 rwhp/tq) done by WCCH at 46K miles with CHE bronze guides went back to them 11K miles later while the bottom end got forged and the guides measured .0011-.0016", not far off when they were done 2 years before, OEM rockers, PSI 1511 springs, lightweight valves, easy street use and 4-7K RPM for track events when oil is 160*F+ before full throttle.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
My K501 cammed Z06 (.658/.660 lift, 593/513 rwhp/tq) done by WCCH at 46K miles with CHE bronze guides went back to them 11K miles later while the bottom end got forged and the guides measured .0011-.0016", not far off when they were done 2 years before, OEM rockers, PSI 1511 springs, lightweight valves, easy street use and 4-7K RPM for track events when oil is 160*F+ before full throttle.
These heads are a curse. At least we know measure them bad and no more counting shrapnells.

Last edited by Blackship; 10-17-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:46 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blackship
These heads are a curse. At least we know measure them bad and no more counting shrapnells.
Redone right with compatible parts the reworked OEM heads are good to go at strong power levels.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cv67
100% fact right here ^^^
Old 10-18-2021, 09:34 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
The wear on your titanium valves on the seat was most likely due to valve float with those springs - not valve lapping.

Switching to an aftermarket lifter will make no difference in the amount of oil the valve stem sees - so stock or Johnson here makes 0 difference.

Waiting for engine to warm up to 150+ to pass 3000rpm is pointless and potentially even more harmful to the engine. Low rpm and cold oil is way worse for hydrodynamic bearings than higher rpm and cold oil. So for those of you lugging your engine at 1000rpm going down the road when cold this is a warning for you that you are doing wayyyyy more damage than being at 2k+.

That literally makes zero sense. Explain how "lugging your engine at 1000 rpm going down the road when cold this is a warning for you that you are doing wayyyyy more damage than being at 2k+"

People that do this day in and day out don't say stuff like this because it has no technical merit.

If you are going to rev the engine up, you should probably wait till oil temps come up a bit. There is a reason that M cars slowly bring the redline up to the maximum as the fluids come up to temp. Since oil takes quite a bit longer to come up than coolant, it would make sense to bade it off oil temp.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:38 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

The BIGGEST contributors IMO to valve and guide wear is the combo of a longer valve, short (compared) guides and a non-roller tip rocker that tends to scrub and "pull) the top of the lash cap at lifts higher than stock. I would never reinstall a stock scrub-tip rocker on a decent build. A roller tip lets the rocker compress the spring and open the valve WITHOUT pulling at it and side loading it--the wheel rotates and friction is reduced.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
That literally makes zero sense. Explain how "lugging your engine at 1000 rpm going down the road when cold this is a warning for you that you are doing wayyyyy more damage than being at 2k+"

People that do this day in and day out don't say stuff like this because it has no technical merit.

If you are going to rev the engine up, you should probably wait till oil temps come up a bit. There is a reason that M cars slowly bring the redline up to the maximum as the fluids come up to temp. Since oil takes quite a bit longer to come up than coolant, it would make sense to bade it off oil temp.
Look up how hydrodynamic bearings work. There is a point where a film will not be created thick enough to support the pressure if the movement is too slow with thicker cold oil - aka lugging your engine at 1k thinking you are doing something good for it vs 2k. Lugging your engine is terrible for it in more ways than just bearing wear - but now we have knock sensors that pull timing instead of rods leaving the block.

Last I checked 2k is pretty far away from redline and a BMW is also not a good marker for reliability.

GM also does the increased redline as temps go up - we aren’t talking about max rpm here…we are talking about barely off idle loads.

Get notified of new replies

To Give me a break - bad valve guides 3 times < 49000 miles

Old 10-18-2021, 04:13 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Apocolipse;1604180439]

Last I checked 2k is pretty far away from redline and a BMW is also not a good marker for reliability.[/QUOTE]

I sold my E36 M3 at 169K miles to a guy that was going to transplant the engine into a 318TI. The engine used M1 5W-30, had a leakdown test at 133K miles that was impressive for an engine with 10K lines on it, had 40 hard track days, was chipped at 155K miles which really enhanced the mid-range torques and was running very well when sold. I would say that is quite reliable.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

OK, it's off topic, but after 35 years as a BMW tech, I'll weigh in on the BMW vs. reliability issue.
4&6 cyls up to ~2006 were pretty much bulletproof. Except for the E46 M3 motor... excessive rod bearing loading + overly ambitious redline = grenade.
V8s till around 1998 were mostly solid, later ones not so great...
Later 6s have Rube Goldberg's variable cam lift mechanism. Mostly reliable, but...

BMW was proud to remind everyone that their middle name was MOTOR. Usuallyit was the most durable part of the car.
But then there's the rest of the car... don't own one out of warranty!

E36 3 series was a definite high point. I'd see heavily tracked 200K+ mile examples regularly through the shop.
A good customer had an E46 330i with 330K miles... ran great, still solid as hell. Needed new cats to pass smog, but it was hard to justify putting $2K+ into it...
My wife and I both have similar 330s. 220k on hers, 130k on mine. They've both been dead *** reliable.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:32 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Completely agree on the pre-2008ish stuff. I had a couple and were great. After they started messing with turbos it went downhill from there.

Quick Reply: Give me a break - bad valve guides 3 times < 49000 miles