Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

AHP longevity

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default AHP longevity

Huge AHP head bash going on in a c6 social media page talking about how they are proven to fail but all negative stuff here about them is censored. I just installed their package 4 a few months ago with powdered metal guides so I was just wondering where all these problems are at? I chose them because I couldn’t find any negative reviews anywhere as well as the fact their customer service was on point. I’m wondering where all the hate is coming from
Old 02-25-2020, 02:48 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 578 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Which social media page?
Old 02-25-2020, 02:58 PM
GX427
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

There’s always something fishy about people who had have issues maybe not on purpose most likely on accident but there’s so many variables people tend to over rev, forget lash caps, have a broken valve spring ....etc so many issues and things that can happen. For the most part people send there heads back and they were perfectly in spec I sent my heads back and they were perfectly in spec. AHP and AI are top notch
Old 02-25-2020, 04:10 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Originally Posted by Creatre
Regard what you see on social media as more accurate than here. There is plenty of proof of posts getting deleted and promotions specifically geared for sponsors. It's unfortunate but appears to be the truth. I personally had my titanium valves (about $1k) ruined by AHP lapping them and have seen other victims of the same (even though AHP contends that it was valve float on a completely stock car). Doubt this thread even stays open 2 hours.
Where is the C6 Social media page? I thought this was it.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:19 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 261 Posts

trade up to the zr1 was my fix - although I went the PRC aftermarket route, I got tired of reading all the 1000's of valve/guide bs threads...…...sure some say some ZR1's have the issue but I sleep better knowing it has an LS3 based head over the LS7.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:44 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK from the tone of the first posts..in before the lock...hahahhahahaha . However, in the spirit of CF, where everyone has an opinion and something to say....needed or not.....here's my 2 cents (on a thread of AHP bashing at Z06Vette.
My take on Kohle ( from many phone interactions with him) ->> he's a stand-up guy. The customer who is bashing AHP was told repeatedly by AHP to bring the car in for a failure analysis in the shop. Obviously, that’s done by simply done by taking the valve covers off... and doing the necessary work for a root cause analysis to figure out what failed. That’s a duh moment to me…..is there any other way. My car would be there ASAP to resolve the issue posthaste; but that’s me.

In this case it sounds like some customer procrastination took place. I’m not taking sides, that said: when you decide to bash a performance shop online publicly…all the facts better be on your side. Addressing this in a vette forum will burn down a relationship quickly; and since a build is never cheap…due diligence demands you work with your vendor to resolve all issues.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Bashing a product on the Internet?
Who would do such a thing.

Wished I'd access to an AHP-like shop w/o having to drive across the continent.
Yea, AHP sucks alright.
Good grief.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:47 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 152 Posts

Old 02-25-2020, 05:54 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

. eyes rolling +
Old 02-25-2020, 05:57 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

It was pretty bad actually it was that social media page owned by the college drop out. Specifically a Corvette related one. I mentioned that I had their heads and they started laughing at me and even got a few private messages telling me to get them off of there before I’m stranded. I am hoping it was just localized BS
Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 PM
GX427
Drifting

It’s bs bro search on google and see they’re stars that should give you enough confidence just haters
Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm sure you can read whatever on the internet and get all sorts of heresy. Those of us who know AHP, actually use their parts, and had them build our cars, know they are a top-notch shop. I'm 10K miles on my Package 4 heads w/PM guides and the car runs absolutely perfectly. Not only wouldn't I hesitate to return, I would actually prefer to drive the 400mi away (Norcal to Socal) for anything major I ever needed done. No fanboy here, just another happy customer.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:15 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,015 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
Huge AHP head bash going on in a c6 social media page talking about how they are proven to fail but all negative stuff here about them is censored. I just installed their package 4 a few months ago with powdered metal guides so I was just wondering where all these problems are at? I chose them because I couldn’t find any negative reviews anywhere as well as the fact their customer service was on point. I’m wondering where all the hate is coming from
I believe the thread on social media your referencing is a guy names Peter Melbern. Peter worked as a contractor for AHP if that gives you any idea of how forthcoming he is being about his post. He was our webmaster for our website.
I have been over this quite a few times on a few different platforms of social media in regards to Peter.

The short version of the story is..... Peter had an issue, he did not know what the issues was. We told him on more than a few occasions to drop the vehicle back off at our shop so we could check it out. Despite the numerous offers we gave him to drop his car back off at our shop he never did. In fact he never did anything. He just let the car sit in his backyard for the better part of a year. After almost a year of offering him to bring his car to our shop we eventually told him that if he was not going to have us or another shop look at it to at least pull a valve cover and send us a few pics so we could see what things looked like. He never did that. Again he just let the car sit (for almost a full year).

What did happen is that we found out that for the better part of a year Peter had been sabotaging our website as a result of his car being down. We started getting lots of customer phone calls about not being able to order on the website or customers getting kicked out when they were trying to Order/check out. All sorts of issues related to not being able to use the website which Peter was in charge of at the time.
When Jake our General Manager point blank asked Peter what was going on with our website Peter told him it was not working properly because his car was not working properly and at that point Peter openly admitted that he had been sabotaging our website on purpose as a result of his car. Keep in Mind even after a year Peter still had done nothing to find out what had actually happened or what the actual damage done was despite us offering on multiple occasions to look at it for him. In other words Peter just assumed he knew what happened and what was damaged and blamed us as a result even know there was no physical factual backing to his thought process.
Immediately following this conversation with Jake Peter went online and stared publicly bashing us.
At that point and after a year of offers to help Peter in any way possible, him procrastinating and doing nothing about it and now him openly bashing us without any factual prof online we decided to completely cut ties with Peter.

We fully stand behind all our work but when a guy wont let you look at it, wont send you pics, wont look at it himself or even have any other shop look at it for over a year and then he starts publicly bashing you with no prof what are you to do as a shop owner....

I would also like to note that Peter has left us more than one negative review about this situation on multiple platforms. Some with his own name and other where he is pretending to be someone else (even going as far as to use fake screen names, emails, etc...). An example of this can be found on our yelp reviews page where Peter is pretending to be a guy named "Bill B. from Newport Beach" leaving us the same bad review on yelp that he did on so many social media pages. I think our reply on yelp to his review summed it up correctly.
Here is the link so you can check it our for yourself (scroll about halfway down once you click on the link):
https://www.yelp.com/biz/american-he...ce-harbor-city

The truth of the matter is that we do 400+ sets of LS7 cylinder heads a year and have done so for over 8 years now. We have very few if any issues at all.
We produce some of the highest quality cylinder heads you can buy. Have exacting standards that are Formula 1 level quality control standards, have staff that spent 20+ years doing cylinder heads for Formula one teams like Cosworth Racing and Indy Car teams such as TRD and we do all this utilizing the latest and greatest in automotive machining machines.

OP there are those out there that do not like us. Just like there are those out there that do not like the championship winning team just for the simple fact that they are the champions and others cant be them or even get close to duplicating/copying them. Lots of haters on the internet now a days and most choose to hide behind lies and masks of disguise. There are even those on this very forum (some might be in this thread) that own shops or work at shops and have a secret agenda to push customers away from paying sponsored vendors and tword the shop they own, work at, etc...

Also as a sponsor we do not have posts pulled down that are not in direct violation of forum policy. Some guys get on the hate train and then start violating forum policy by pushing/advertising links for non sponsor shop, etc... which are forum policy violations. In which case you will see threads and posts pulled down due to CF forum violations not our request to have it removed, etc... The CF is actually one of the best social media sites for Corvette enthusiasts. I sincerely think CF has the most real people providing the most real feedback vs other social media platforms such as Facebook, etc... which can at times be like the wild west from an internet management standpoint. What I have learned is that there is always two sides to a story and there are alot of guys who hope to cover up the real truth by screaming lies as loudly as possible. Just a part of the modern world we live in I guess.

https://americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 02-25-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:06 PM
GX427
Drifting

People just hate AHP because they claim they are the best and people don’t like arrogance but why not claim it when you are one of the best

Last edited by GX427; 02-25-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:17 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GX427
People just hate AHP because they claim they are the best and people don’t like arrogance but why not claim it when you are one of the best
I have dealt with a lot of arrogant people in my life, talked down to me and assumed for no gd reason that I didn't know what I was talking about.
I got none of that from AHP. They answered (to my satisfaction) every email and phone call in a timely manner.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 PM
GX427
Drifting

Not saying it in a bad way I meant more as people like me and u saying they’re the best gets people mad and they are to me customer service is the best and they’re quality of work is among the best AHP all the way
Old 02-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Kohle helped me out when I had a problem. No issues here from me.

Get notified of new replies

To AHP longevity

Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

What? Venom and vitrol on a social media platform?! Social media is only used for positivity and the greater good of humanity.

AHP is one of the best shops I've ever worked with...not just in the vette world, but in the general automotive world. I always find it funny that some random failure occurs with obscure details and its "AHP blah blah...."
Yet, there's many cases of WCCH heads documented right here (and elsewhere) that fail/require reworking and it never resorts to reputation bashing,.....and for the record, I think WCCH is an excellent company. Merely pointing out the double-standard.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't had as much experience modding cars as many have but I had no issues with AHP. Kohle took quite a bit of time to talk with me and trade emails. He even talked me out of some extras that wouldn't have been worthwhile for my goals. The turnaround for working and shipping my heads back was quite fast. Now, 30k miles later, everything is still working wonderfully.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 AM
Tommy_J
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have AHP package 4 heads and they actually did have a problem. A guide ate itself in a thousand miles. It wiggle tested at about 0.1”. When I told Kohle about this he stepped up 100%. Even though I installed the heads myself he said to bring the car down and he would warranty the head and do the R&R free. Kohle explained an employee had polished through the valve coating, so it galled. The guy wasn’t meeting quality expectations and was let go.

Bottom line is AHP totally stood behind their product. I really appreciate that and would recommend them whole heartedly.

Last edited by Tommy_J; 02-26-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: AHP longevity