Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mind n mine
I didn't do any thing to the guides,I only did what they suggested. I will try to post the receipt of the work done tonight.
Sorry to hear the guides were not touched. The guides are the root of the problem. good luck with the build!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:50 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

my heads are done on my 06Z, they were done at 32k miles and now have 58k miles

i hope i never drop a valve, but if it does i will get a Dry Sump LS3 and call it a day
Old 10-15-2015, 02:17 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 334 Likes on 195 Posts

I didn't do any thing to the guides,I only did what they suggested. I will try to post the receipt of the work done tonight.
very interesting, my brother did work at speed inc and they did everything but the bronze valve guides and he dropped a valve also. Looks like the same problem. Not good for you or anyone else. Really suxs. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 08mojo
Sorry to hear the guides were not touched. The guides are the root of the problem. good luck with the build!
Guides may be the root of causing the STOCK valve to break but guides will NOT break a stainless valve.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 334 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Guides may be the root of causing the STOCK valve to break but guides will NOT break a stainless valve.
Problem really suxs for guys who drop a valve. I solved my problem by getting a 2010 Grand Sport.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 PM
o6zo6vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM should be handling this issue but instead they stick their heads up their asses n ignore it . I was ****ed over to 38000 miles n I was told to kick rocks we r not going to do anything for u even though we see u had issues over the last 2 years . Only mods cai n axle back
Old 10-15-2015, 04:24 PM
BigV
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very sorry hear about your car.

Speed Inc have done a ton of work on my 07 Z06, including solid Stainless 1 Piece Valves trunnion upgrade, Cam, twin disc clutch, A&A Supercharger and etc. I haven't had any issues with my car. I do plan next year to get Speed Inc to check my springs pressure as insurance since they have been in the car about 5 years now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=42753

I elected to used all Comp Cams components for my heads and LG Motorsports G7X3 cam.

Please keep us posted your results with Speed Inc and decision about your engine.

God Blessing to you!

Last edited by BigV; 10-15-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigV
I am very sorry hear about your car.

Speed Inc have done a ton of work on my 07 Z06, including solid Stainless 1 Piece Valves trunnion upgrade, Cam, twin disc clutch, A&A Supercharger and etc. I haven't had any issues with my car. I do plan next year to get Speed Inc to check my springs pressure as insurance since they have been in the car about 5 years now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=42753

I elected to used all Comp Cams components for my heads and LG Motorsports G7X3 cam.

Please keep us posted your results with Speed Inc and decision about your engine.

God Blessing to you!
I went to speed inc for thier reputation and some forum members recommendations,I was not trying to build a track car(never been with my z) just wanted a little more power and that cam sound and also to get my heads looked at.I went with thier suggestions if I had been told that anything like this was possible once they replaced valves and spring I would have left it stock.I thought having a speed shop look at your heads and then getting what I thought was an upgrade above factory valves and springs I would have nothing to worry about. Thats what makes me so mad nothing was found to alarm them from my 43000 mile heads,added parts then boom?
I'm glad you've had great results from them,because from what I can tell when start modding you have better odds in vegas.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

what I got was an accusation of me over revving the car a destroying the engine that I've had for 3 years before a cam.to add insult to my situation when I informed them I was towing the car out to decide my next move they charged me 150 for thier diagnosis.
I went to speed inc for thier reputation and some forum members recommendations
Unfortunately this is exactly why I avoided them............Their rep isnt the best when it comes to "come" backs. I found almost none with straightline, and thats why I went with them.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 PM
whtturbot@aol.com
Advanced

Just my experience...... I have a 06 Z with the motor currently out of it. I have had the heads fixed with one piece valves and guides done. Now the motor is out of the car because I over revved the motor and cracked a piston. The cam is stock ! My point here is bad things happen for whatever reason, bottom line in my case was owners error. We are dealing with performance cars which as we are all aware of even a HUGE company like GM will not stand behind 100%. I have heard many great things about Speed Inc, I think that is important to mention.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Bryan@SpeedInc
Instructor

The most significant piece of information is missing in this thread. The valve did not drop. It was bent. From what I am being told, the customer called us saying there was a noise after he down-shifted and got on it. Of course, according to this thread, this happened randomly while going the posted speed limit, in 6th gear...

Regardless, we took the valve covers off, found a bent pushrod. We replaced it, and it still had a tick. The pushrod that we had just replaced, was now bent. We pulled the plug on that cylinder, and took a peak inside with a borescope. We saw damage to the piston where the valve hit. The valve is bent, and hanging up in the cylinder head, which is causing the pushrods to bend. We could not see damage to the cylinder wall. With out further diagnosis, we do not know if the engine is even lost. The customer is obviously not happy with the diagnosis, or paying us for our time, so we did not go any further.

This is using our mild LS7 "street" grind, which is installed in countless other Z06's with out incident. If there was an issue with the installation of the camshaft, the car would have never made it off the dyno. There's conflicting hear-say, however, the evidence clearly indicates a mechanical over-rev.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bryan@SpeedInc
The most significant piece of information is missing in this thread. The valve did not drop. It was bent. From what I am being told, the customer called us saying there was a noise after he down-shifted and got on it. Of course, according to this thread, this happened randomly while going the posted speed limit, in 6th gear...

Regardless, we took the valve covers off, found a bent pushrod. We replaced it, and it still had a tick. The pushrod that we had just replaced, was now bent. We pulled the plug on that cylinder, and took a peak inside with a borescope. We saw damage to the piston where the valve hit. The valve is bent, and hanging up in the cylinder head, which is causing the pushrods to bend. We could not see damage to the cylinder wall. With out further diagnosis, we do not know if the engine is even lost. The customer is obviously not happy with the diagnosis, or paying us for our time, so we did not go any further.

This is using our mild LS7 "street" grind, which is installed in countless other Z06's with out incident. If there was an issue with the installation of the camshaft, the car would have never made it off the dyno. There's conflicting hear-say, however, the evidence clearly indicates a mechanical over-rev.
This is making me beyond angry, I AM NOT A ENGINE BUILDER, I DON'T TAKE IT TO ANY TRACK TO DRAG OR ANY OTHER RACE! THE CAR HAD MIRACULOUSLY SURVIVED ALL THREE YEARS OF ME NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE IT,AND COUNTLESS OVER REVVING EVENTS UNTILL SPEED INC PUT A CAM IN AND ONE PIECE VALVES AND SPRINGS TO MAKE THE MOTOR STRONGER AGAINST THIS HAPPENING.BTW DOESN'T THE CAR HAVE A REV LIMITER? ARE YOU SAYING I SAT WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL JUST REVVING IT ON THE HIGH WAY? I AM NOT A DRAG RACE STAR BUT I CAN DRIVE I ACTUALLY DRIVE FOR A LIVING. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CORVETTE NOR EVEN MY FORT FAST CAR! SOMETHING IN THE HEADS FAILED PERIOD! AND I'M GROWING INCREASINGLY IRRITATED BY THE ACUSATIONS THAT THIS IS ONLY MY FAULT AS IF NOTHING ELSE COULD'VE HAPPENED.I'LL SAY THIS I'M GETTING TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM, I'LL POST PICTURES LATER!
I also want to say I didn't come on here to bad mouth speed inc, not once have i unless you call asking how a car made this far untill a cam was installed bad mouthing you.I came here to help me make a decision on what to do with a paper wieght with a payment.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:35 PM
mind n mine
Intermediate

This is making me beyond angry, I AM NOT A ENGINE BUILDER, I DON'T TAKE IT TO ANY TRACK TO DRAG OR ANY OTHER RACE! THE CAR HAD MIRACULOUSLY SURVIVED ALL THREE YEARS OF ME NOT KNOWING HOW TO DRIVE IT,AND COUNTLESS OVER REVVING EVENTS UNTILL SPEED INC PUT A CAM IN AND ONE PIECE VALVES AND SPRINGS TO MAKE THE MOTOR STRONGER AGAINST THIS HAPPENING.BTW DOESN'T THE CAR HAVE A REV LIMITER? ARE YOU SAYING I SAT WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL JUST REVVING IT ON THE HIGH WAY? I AM NOT A DRAG RACE STAR BUT I CAN DRIVE I ACTUALLY DRIVE FOR A LIVING. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST CORVETTE NOR EVEN MY FORT FAST CAR! SOMETHING IN THE HEADS FAILED PERIOD! AND I'M GROWING INCREASINGLY IRRITATED BY THE ACUSATIONS THAT THIS IS ONLY MY FAULT AS IF NOTHING ELSE COULD'VE HAPPENED.I'LL SAY THIS I'M GETTING TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM, I'LL POST PICTURES LATER!
I also want to say I didn't come on here to bad mouth speed inc, not once have i unless you call asking how a car made this far untill a cam was installed bad mouthing you.I came here to help me make a decision on what to do with a paper wieght with a payment.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:25 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumb question, but if you found a bent pushrod why wouldn't you leak the motor down and make the diagnosis without continuing to run the engine with a bent valve?
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by aweil
Dumb question, but if you found a bent pushrod why wouldn't you leak the motor down and make the diagnosis without continuing to run the engine with a bent valve?
I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Don't have a dog in the fight so I'm not going to take sides but based on this new information, my next move would be to remove the head for a better inspection of the piston and block. The motor does not sound to be trashed. I would closely inspect the lifter and lifter bore for the effected valve to make sure it did not hang up and cause the problem. If the valve just tapped the piston leaving a tiny mark I might reuse it. If it left a huge divit I would replace it. Then go through the head completely (if salvageable) to see if any clues can be found there. A piston and perhaps a rod and head is way cheaper then a new motor Just sayin...
Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Doesnt the LS7 have a rev limiter???

Get notified of new replies

To How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?

Old 10-17-2015, 01:02 AM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Here is my piston and head of the failed cylinder with just a bent pushrod.

Cylinder
Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 AM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Head
Old 10-17-2015, 01:04 AM
mind n mine
Intermediate

Piston

Quick Reply: How much is a c6 z worth that needs a motor?