Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Rick Hendrick of Buford trying to charge new MSRP in lieu of GM price protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Lightbrew
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick Hendrick of Buford trying to charge new MSRP in lieu of GM price protection

Greetings all,

I placed my order for my 2014 Stingray 02/21/2014, and placed $1,000.00 deposit. There was no sort of contract signed at that point, but we agreed on MSRP as the sales price, and my card was charged the aforementioned deposit. The MSRP was $62,875.

My car has finally arrived at the dealership, so I eagerly go to purchase. They write up the price at the new $66,000.00 MSRP. I told them no, that there was price protection, and furnish the order with the date and the quoted MSRP of $62,875.

The finance guy at the dealership was the most senior employee on site at the time and told me that he cannot sell me the car at the old price, and that he will have to speak to GM as well as his superior in the morning. This guy acted like he hadn't even heard of "price protection".

My experience has been awful so far with these guys and this is really the icing on the cake. I will now be taking the morning off of work to go up to the dealership in hopes of getting my car at the correct price.

I am absolutely furious. Any helpful advice is very welcome.

Thanks.

UPDATE 04/07/2014.

Hey all, just wanted to stop in really quickly before bed and give an update. Frank (the GM) has made things right with the situation. He was extremely apologetic about the "misunderstanding" and honored the original price on the order. My AW vert is sitting safely in the garage for the night.

I want to thank everyone here in the community for their support. I honestly believe that this thread could well have played an important role in the outcome of my situation.

I will post pics tomorrow when it is light out, and not rainy and nasty.

Last edited by Lightbrew; 04-07-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-06-2014, 04:57 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightbrew
Greetings all,

I placed my order for my 2014 Stingray 02/21/2014, and placed $1,000.00 deposit. There was no sort of contract signed at that point, but we agreed on MSRP as the sales price, and my card was charged the aforementioned deposit. The MSRP was $62,875.

My car has finally arrived at the dealership, so I eagerly go to purchase. They write up the price at the new $66,000.00 MSRP. I told them no, that there was price protection, and furnish the order with the date and the quoted MSRP of $62,875.

The finance guy at the dealership was the most senior employee on site at the time and told me that he cannot sell me the car at the old price, and that he will have to speak to GM as well as his superior in the morning. This guy acted like he hadn't even heard of "price protection".

My experience has been awful so far with these guys and this is really the icing on the cake. I will now be taking the morning off of work to go up to the dealership in hopes of getting my car at the correct price.

Thanks.
Simply put they are not telling you the truth. There are a number of threads here which I believe include confirmation from dealers that orders placed prior to 3/3 are price protected. I ordered mine from Les Stanford in February - not only did they give me the old price but GMS as well which became available on 3/3.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Thanks.
I would be. I placed my order at about the same time with MacMulkin and just settled up with them as the car is in transit and I will take delivery this week. The subject Never came up, nor did I think it would as these guys are always up front and honest in their dealings. Original MSRP minus the $3K discount....Done.

Any car shipped after the new price date would be invoiced at the new price. Hopefully it is just a misunderstanding about the price protection for earlier sold orders. Dealers must go through some paperwork, I understand, to get the difference back. Good luck

Last edited by Modshack; 04-06-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM
JACKPAC
Intermediate

I'm curious as to why you'd pay sticker in the first place? Lots of discounts going around.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

The term "stealership" exists for a reason ... this case helps back up the term.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
liquorman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JACKPAC
I'm curious as to why you'd pay sticker in the first place? Lots of discounts going around.
Not in Ga
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
grandadsvette
Advanced

There are discounts at the big dealers and a few small dealers. The big dealers get all the cars, have too many and then discount, small dealers cant get cars so the consumer suffers unless you want to buy out of state.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
c7luvr
Racer

Take your business elsewhere.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by grandadsvette
There are discounts at the big dealers and a few small dealers. The big dealers get all the cars, have too many and then discount, small dealers cant get cars so the consumer suffers unless you want to buy out of state.
Add up all the Rick Hendricks dealerships and it places him second behind Kerbeck it the number of Corvette sales. Individually his dealerships rank #6, #10, #11, #18 and #39 in sales.

Plenty of small dealers do discount their Corvettes. Read This section and lots of buyers have reported getting some decent discounts at their local dealers.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Speak calmly with the dealership general manager on Monday. Followup with Chevrolet customer service and then your local media as needed. Don't needlessly escalate, this is a problem the dealership manager can and should make go away immediately.

It shouldn't have happened at all but stay calm when speaking with the general manager. The F&I person isn't always the sharpest person in the organization and he/she may simply have dropped the ball.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKPAC
Doubtful on a Z51
Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM
fmlaxer80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my C7 on February 18th and picked it up on April 1st. My car was price protected and yours should be to as long as your name was the customer name on the order sent to GM. Then, in that event, your dealer only needs you to acknowledge your price protection and your application of that price protection to your purchase and the dealership then gets full credit back from GM on the increased invoice amount due to the price increase. I don't understand why your dealer would play these types of games with you. Perhaps you should report this issue directly to GM, I doubt GM would be pleased to here this. Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Lightbrew
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by c7luvr
Take your business elsewhere.
I custom ordered the car to my exact specification, which makes it painful to walk.

If they honor the price, I will buy the car and leave them negative feedback everywhere possible.

If they won't honor the price, I will walk and leave negative feedback everywhere possible.

I guess I am just incredibly disappointed that what should have been an exciting, and happy experience has been turned into a stress fest.

My brother called me and asked how I liked the car and how it looked and I told him that honestly I was so angry about the experience I had not even taken note.

I have purchased various new cars in my life; a toyota, a mini, a Lexus, and a Mitsubishi and have had varying degrees of satisfaction with the process. I wouldn't have ever thought I would find myself buying an American made car, but here I am, and how disappointing.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

If they honor the price but you still leave negative feedback everywhere I wouldn't take the car there for service.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's the idiot in finance, talk to the gm of the store and I bet everything will be just fine, and don't be po'ed about it. Stay calm as mentioned before, it will behoove you to go in with a smile and a warm handshake rather than hissing like a rattlesnake. Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Could it have had something to do with allocation and when BG accepted the order? Just tossing that out there, I bought mine from an order placed last April and part of the early builds.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... If they honor the price, I will buy the car and leave them negative feedback everywhere possible. ...
It would not be honorable of you to leave negative feedback if the General Manager or owner resolves the F&I person's misunderstanding of the price and you get your car at the old price.

Get notified of new replies

To Rick Hendrick of Buford trying to charge new MSRP in lieu of GM price protection

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
It would not be honorable of you to leave negative feedback if the General Manager or owner resolves the F&I person's misunderstanding of the price and you get your car at the old price.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Lightbrew
Heel & Toe

That's true, I shouldn't have made it sound like I want to go out of my way to tarnish their reputation, but my post is only the start of the negative experience I have had with this dealership.

After I placed my order there was zero communication. I called a few times to get updates, was given the run around and eventually promised a call back that never came.

It took 4 phone calls to get a receipt for my deposit / order sheet.

Thank goodness for the nice folks at GM as well as the order tracking utility, because without those I wouldn't have even known my car was at the dealership.

I spoke with the GM at one point, and told him that the order status was "shipped", and just wanted to discuss the next step, and he sent me some other customers order number, linked me to GM order tracking utility, and told me to track it myself.

I then told him that the order number he sent me wasn't even my car, and he told me my car was at least 2 weeks out. (3 days later my car is at the dealership).

Once the car arrived, I called them, and asked them to confirm that my car was there and they asked me to provide the VIN number so they could confirm. (They are asking me for the f*&kin VIN number.....really?) Again, thank goodness for GM customer service, else I wouldn't have had this.

After jumping through all the hoops, they tell me that my car is indeed there and come and pick it up..

..that is where the story that is my original post begins.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Quick Reply: Rick Hendrick of Buford trying to charge new MSRP in lieu of GM price protection