Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Crappy buying experience.....Any suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx, dofuss. Haha. I'm not in an older group. I'm only 46 yrs old. Funny, I own my own business, have for 20 years and do pretty decent. I just got impatient and got tired and looking. I must've wanted that car!!! Haha.
I did check the MSRP through a local dealer (where I could have odered one for MSRP) and my car has a $55,800 MSRP. I figured it cost me about $4000. He told me MSRP was $61,100. Oh well. Lesson learned!!

Good thing I love the car!!!! I'm gonna miss the ventilated seats this summer though.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

Thx, fdxpilot. I've never had the HUD before so it didn't cross my mind. It does turn on and off, though.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default retired and tired canadian lawyer

Originally Posted by Shadow9
I'm going to try and be short. I live in Florida. I was looking for a white, 2lt corvette and finally found one in south Florida. The guy was not a Chevy dealer but a dealer that had "family" in the business. It was brand new, never titled with 68 miles on it. I was so excited about finally finding one (should've ordered it but didn't). We talked for several days over the phone. I asked him at least 5 times if it had the 2LT package to which he replied "yes". We agreed on a price of $60,500, which was $600.00 below MSRP of $61,100. He told me $61,100.00 was MSRP. He said he didn't have a MSRP sticker because he got it through his "family" dealership.
We agreed on the price and I went down the next day to pick it up with my wife. I loved the car when I saw it. Who wouldn't??? I checked it over and asked about the options specifically mentioning the 2LT package. He told me in front of my wife that it had the 2LT. I paid for the car and drove it home, 4 hours away. About an hour into the drive home I went to turn on the A/C seats. I couldn't find the button. I started looking around for other stuff and then I thought "is this the 2LT??" Driving on the interstate, I didn't want to get on my phone and start checking stuff out. When I got home I check everything out and realized this was only a 1LT car. I also realized the MSRP would only be about $56,000. I called the dealer and he said "if you're not happy bring the car back and I'll give you your money back." This was on a Friday night. I told him I wanted to figure out what to do and I'd call him the next morning. When I called the next morning I told him he could give me $4,210.00 (cost of the 2LT package) or I'd bring him back the car. His tuned had changed. He said it's a used car now. Paperwork is done. Finally after 4 days of negotiating I told him I'd take $1,000 just to be done. He said he'd give me $750.00. I told him I'm not taking $750 and I'd take him to court. That's where we stand now. My attorney is involved. Any suggestions????
I know I'm at fault also. I should have caught the 2LT package not being there but theres not much in that package that stands out. It's also only my 2nd Corvette. My other was a 1999. big difference. I'm not mentioning his name or his company name yet because of whats happening. His company is not a big dealership, it's a used car dealership but the Corvette I bought was brand new. I saw the MSO.

I love the car. I'm going to keep it but I'm going to go after the guy and his dealership. Any suggestions??? I'm a big boy. I can take criticism also. Thx. Everyone!!
your loss is ABOUT 10 THOUSDAND DOLLARS, you will need to sell it and buy a 2lt, you relied on the sellers knowledge to confirm that it is a additional or collateral contract (that does not merge with the signing of the contract or else then it is fraud)

also sue his family dealership for the same amount and BBB and so on

small claims is not expensive and the judge will agree, get the media involved and chev

bottom line he knew he was pulling the wool over your eyes,

yes you were STUPID BUT you came from a 1999 and did not know better, he HID THE STICKER FROM YOU DELIBERATELY

do not settle for less than 10g or a full refund,

I wish I was closer and could speak ot you about court but the state laws may be SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT but give it a try

Jefferson
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM
T_Bone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch. That really stinks. Yep blows my story out of the water to. Hope you figure out some recourse.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

This post is a joke right??? Did this really happen?????
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

I swear it really happened. I bought it on February 27, 2014.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

Jefferson, this guy is a pathological liar. I soooooo want to say his name and dealership but don't want "slander" crap. I would love to put him in front of a judge even in small claims court just to watch him squirm!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
go4kj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, sorry to say this but you got no case to go up against him in court. You have no proof that he promised you a 2LT. Just MSRP does not prove anything, dealers are selling well over MSRP under"market adjustment". My 0.02 take the $750 & call it a life lesson. $hit happens, no big deal. Now enjoy the stingray, 1LT is still an awesome ride.

Last edited by go4kj; 03-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

Also, if this was a used car, I would never have done anything like this but it was a brand new car!!!! I thought what could go wrong??? It's brand new. Never titled still in the MSO from the chevy dealership that received it. (I know who they are. I saw the MSO. Even took a picture of the MSO to be sure.) I did rely on his word which was wrong of me. He flat out lied. But I missed it also. You hear on this forum about people trying to test drive these cars and they can't. I had only seen one at Jon Hall chevy in Daytona (theyre great). Sat in it for 5 minutes so I didn't know all the features. I trusted a licensed dealership on a brand new vehicle!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

I agree go4kj. My word against his but ............in all of our texts back and forth, he never says that he didn't say was a 2LT. I do have a witness on what he said but its my wife. She says drop it and move on. I just cant stand getting screwed.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

If this is the guy who advertises on a certain major auction website as "Mercedes 4 less", or something like that, I had a very similar experience. I ultimately did not buy the car because I got a VERY weird feeling when I started asking him pointed questions. In short, if this is the same guy, then this was no mistake. He knew he was selling you a 1LT car for a 2LT price.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Your lawyer should be able to tell you with some assurance if you have a case if he is worth his salt without breaking the bank. If he says go I would. This dirtbag needs to be taken to the cleaners or he will keep on doing it to others. Good luck and trust no one but Jesus.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Shadow9
Instructor

Wow, Silver Blue. You hit the nail on the head. I knew somebody else had to have this happen to them. At least you caught it. Now everybody knows I'm not BS'ing.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it happened to you it could happen again. Set up a buddy to go through it and have it recorded. These crooks need to be caught with their hands in the cookie jar. For you, as you state, it's probably too late.

I probably need to cut down on the tv cop dramas
Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Yeah, I e-mailed back and forth with this guy (I just looked for the e-mails and unfortunately I guess I must have deleted them). Anyway, I told this moron I was only interested in a 2LT. He said that he was "sure" the car was a 2LT and anyway, it was a "great deal". I pushed him on the fact, that selling new Stingrays, he should know if the car was a 2LT. His response" Oh, I'm sure it "probably" is, but that it is a "really great deal". I looked closely at the pics on the auction site and the interior just didn't look like a 2LT to me (I've been researching a new C7 forever). Anyway, the more questions I asked, the spookier this guy got. I finally figured "screw it". If I am laying down this much money for a car, I better be damned sure of what I am buying...

Anyway, I am sorry you got burned, but I gotta tell you, my "dirt bag" alarm was going off the whole time I was corresponding with this a--hole .
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Shadow9
It's funny how writing it out and reading everyones discussions about this really shows how stupid I was. I feel like an idiot now. There were so many clues that I just overlooked. He's an idiot but I'm the fool.

I'd rather not post the bill of sale. I don't want to compromise my position if I choose to proceed. At this point I probably won't. I'll just move forward and file complaints with the BBB, EBAY and other places. NO I didn't buy it on EBAY but that's where I got his number from a 2014 Corvette ad. Just beware South Florida Corvette seller on EBAY.

I hope this issue helps anyone in my type of situation. Learn from my mistakes. I will. Thx everyone!!!!!
I think it will help others, just like all the other threads on here about bad new car dealers, sales staff who don't know the car, dealers who make "mistakes" and forget things like shipping/destination, etc. But, not to be ungenerous to you, you signed for it, paid for it, and got it. What you got is what you signed for. Unless you want to spend thousands on a lawyer, you are the stuck-ee. That's just my opinion.

Frankly, you can complain to all the bureaus and places, but they will just get a small shrug and a sorry look because frankly you did it, and he did it to you. But it's that old saying "caveat emptor" let the buyer beware. If he was a legit new-car dealer, you'd have someone to go back to, and a franchisor/car mfr. to help (unlikely, but possible) to maybe put some pressure on the dealer and the salesperson. In this case, all you've got is "family" of the dealer.

Not trying to deflate your bubble, but I am glad you like the car--just not the deal. Trust me, more than those who are honest to 'fess up have been in something like this deal. I know I have. And what one learns is there are so many ways to cheat, lie, fleece and steal money that it's almost impossible sometimes no matter how many deals or cars you've bought. That's the truth.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Someone up thread said it is against federal law to sell a vehicle without the window sticker. This sounds like a case of fraud to me.

Personally, I would pursue this.

lisa

Get notified of new replies

To Crappy buying experience.....Any suggestions???

Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,004 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Sucker born every minute they say and you my friend are unfortunately one of them. I get the blinders on and just wanting it and not checking it all out BEFORE you paid. I say it's your fault as well and you will waste more money on a lawyer then you will get back.

It sucks, but live with the mistake and take the $750. Me personally…I would go kick his a$$…but that's just me. Would be worth the 4 hour drive.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 PM
MikeK
Racer

Shadow9: This is both a sad, but interesting story. This fellow sold you a brand new untitled car and gave you the MSO. Did he also give you an Odometer Statement. If he gave you the MSO, he was acting as a representative of the Dealer. At this point, I would consider a suit against the Dealer for selling a brand new car w/o a required by law window sticker....and possibly Odometer Statement which would now beg of fraud against the Dealership and notify the regional GM rep of the issue. Don't know which state you are in, however, hire a real good attorney and pursue the Dealership (deep pockets) including damages and legal fees. If he's good, he'll know what to do. And yes, dumb dee dumb dumb! Clearly a case and have your lawyer also contact the state AG to really bring pressure on the Dealership.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,421 Likes on 14,039 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry you had this happen to you, but I too feel you are going to have a hard time proving anything in court unless you have something in writing that says it was a 2LT car and it seems you don't. Take the $750 and next time carefully look over a car before you buy.

Quick Reply: Crappy buying experience.....Any suggestions???