Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Z06FRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!

I'm extremely disappointed and upset with Summit Racing. Here's my story:

On February 3 of this year, I purchase from Summit Racing a Mcleod RXT twin clutch kit, slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder. Before I did purchase these items online, I call them to ask them if these part would be compatible with one another. They told me yes, they'll run together with no problems at all. So based on that, I made the purchase.

On March 7 I finally received the parts, after 5 weeks of delay. This was primarily due to Summit not having the parts in stock and had to order them from Mcleod themselves. Which meant they had to wait to receive the parts from them in order to ship it to me. But I was in no rush, so I didn't mind.

Middle of June and I send my 99 Corvette to my mechanic's to have these parts installed, along with some additional work. He was extremely busy with other cars at his shop, but it was no rush. I told him to take as much time as he needed.

Now in the middle of August, the car is finished. When I went to pick it up, my mechanic told me there was a big problem. Went he went for a test drive, he heard crunching and grinding sounds within the bowels of the transmission. Specifically were the clutch and flywheel are located. I test drove the car myself, I hear the sounds and knew I was screwed. We both thought at first that the clutch was defective and so we made a call to Summit. My mechanic explained the problem to customer service and ask if the parts could possible be wrong. Their answer, "No sure according to our application on our site shows it's the right part for that vehicle." So we called Mcleod, got a hold of Lee and explain the problem to him. When we told him what kind of clutch, slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder we were running, he immediately replied, "Oh no, the RXT clutch was not design for our slave and clutch master cylinder. It was design for a stock slave and clutch master cylinder. Summit should've known better then to sell you these parts." He then told me to send the clutch back to Mcleod so that they could examine it and they'll send me a new one. He also said to send the slave and clutch master cylinder back to Summit, where they'll contact him and he'll tell them to credit me on those parts.

I called back Summit and told the customer service what Mcleod said and asked them who was going to be responsible of covering my labor cost. They pretty much said rudely that it's not their problem cause it's pass their 90 day warrenty, that me and my mechanic should've known better and it's not our policy to cover labor charges. I reply, "how is it my problem when I called you guys and asked you if these parts would work with one another. Only for you guys to tell me yes and now my car is stuck on the lift waiting to have this problem fix that should've been done once. You guys even told my mechanic that these parts should've worked and now it's costing him space cause of your lack of knowledge on these parts." They pretty much called me a liar and just gave me the same it's not our problem, it's yours attitude. At that point I asked for their manager and went no where with him either.

It's such a shame, they where a good company before. But ever since they expaneded and got three locations, it went to hell in a hand basket. Now cause of them, I'm $4000can in the hole with a car that doesn't work. I'm going to find the contacts of the owners of Summit Racing and attempt to explain my case to them, rather then dealing with rude customer service reps that don't have a clue what there saying. Apparently I'm not the only one to fall victim to this. I've read thousands of cases of people getting screwed over financially by them. And why, cause they don't care as long as they get the money, they'll sell anything. After this experience, I'm not dealing with them agian and I would advise everyone else, including Mcleod or any automotive parts manufacture to do the same. Cause let's face it, why would you want to have a company like Summit Racing to represent a produce that they don't have a clue what they're selling, nor cares to?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM
CurtP
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

So you're blaming Summit for an issue that should be brought up with McLeod? Why didn't you call McLeod to verify compatibility prior to making a purchase?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Hoog
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Are they taking the slave and master cylinders as you requested?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CurtP
So you're blaming Summit for an issue that should be brought up with McLeod? Why didn't you call McLeod to verify compatibility prior to making a purchase?
Ummm...because he ordered the parts through summit. In the past they were good about letting you know what works with what and blah blah blah. So, he trusted teh vendor and got shafted by them.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Lord Vetter
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by CurtP
If he'd bought the parts from McLeod, you'd have a point. The folks at Summit said the parts were compatible. They're on the hook.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

$4000 for a clutch job is this thing a Ferrari?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Interesting. Summit should credit you for the parts.

No way would I authorize labor reimbursement of 4k.

Did you not research this setup prior? I get you asked Summit...

Typically when going aftermarket parts you read about them working on some other poor slob's car.

Sounds like you are lone ranger on this setup - Not a lot of research behind it.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Cocked and Locked
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Z06FRC
I've read thousands of cases of people getting screwed over financially by them.
Wow, that's a lot of cases and a lot of reading.

Good luck resolving your issue.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've read thousands of cases of people getting screwed over financially by them.
That might have been a warning not to do business with them. You're #1001.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Ummm... I would say it's hind sight and not a warning since it sounds like he didn't start looking up the complaints until after he got shafted
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM
1911fool
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you ask the pimply faced kid at O'reillys questions like this?......I don't. It's the same thing. If you asked the kid there and he said" yeah, it'll work" and it doesn't, then it's still on you.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

wonder if CFOT will offer a refund after all the advice i took here....
Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911fool
Do you ask the pimply faced kid at O'reillys questions like this?......I don't. It's the same thing. If you asked the kid there and he said" yeah, it'll work" and it doesn't, then it's still on you.
You mean that parts stores don't offer free automotive consulting service with each sale and work on 2-10% margins too?

OP I hope you get your car sorted to your satisfaction. I don't expect Summit's year after year perfection to be erased by one failure whether it is real or only perceived.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Carguy2112
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Railroadman
He said "thousands. That makes him at least 2001.

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
Ummm... I would say it's hind sight and not a warning since it sounds like he didn't start looking up the complaints until after he got shafted
That's what I get too. If it were me and I was about to spend $4k on a clutch, I think I would have done more research beforehand.

In my opinion, common sense says that a company with millions of parts for sale wont know compatibility of all of them. A call to Mcleod before purchase should have been made.

Edit: and I still intend to shop at Summit. I'm not sold that this issue ruins a company's reputation.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Carguy2112

In my opinion, common sense says that a company with millions of parts for sale wont know compatibility of all of them. A call to Mcleod before purchase should have been made.

Edit: and I still intend to shop at Summit. I'm not sold that this issue ruins a company's reputation.
Agreed. I'm not loyal to any single vendor. I'll research what I want until I know it like i engineered and manufactured that parts then go looking for the lowest price and best warranty
Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sucks that Summit gave you some bad info, but for an expensive upgrade like you had planned, I agree and think that I would have called McLeod and verified before placing the order. I can see Summit refunding the parts costs based on your conversation with McLeod, but no way will they reimburse the labor charges.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:34 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck that sux

Get notified of new replies

To Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Summit is one of the vendors that I've had the best luck with. I would say your experience is the exception and not the norm. I would call in and ask to talk with the next level of support.

Last edited by Hitch; 09-29-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

First off, I'm not reading all of that.

My experience with Summit 'Techs' is mixed. Some know what the hell they are doing, others couldn't tell their butt from a hole in the ground.

Verify and Check, then Check Again.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:46 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sucks that Summit gave you some bad info, but for an expensive upgrade like you had planned, I agree and think that I would have called McLeod and verified before placing the order. I can see Summit refunding the parts costs based on your conversation with McLeod, but no way will they reimburse the labor charges.
Bingo. Agree completely.

Heck, I'd never even have the nerve to ask for labor reimbursement.

Quick Reply: Avoid Summit Racing at all cost!!!